Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hyundai launched the Ioniq in Korea around 2 months ago and they’re already issuing a recall for the electric drive hatchback.

The recall was issued after a Youtuber’s review of the vehicle almost led him to crash. While going uphill on a parking exit he slowly brought the car to a halt before pressing on the throttle again. This was where the problem appears, the throttle did not respond to his panicked presses on the pedal and he started rolling backwards until the he pressed the brake pedal.

Just skip to the 4 minute mark to observe what happened. According to this Reddit thread, the throttle malfunction captured here isn’t the first time this happened. He first encountered it with his daughter in the passenger seat and afterwards, he enlisted the help of his camera crew to try and recreate the incident. Since the incident was repeatable, Hyundai can’t say that it could have been a one off occurrence.

Once the video was uploaded, the South Korea motor media was all over it and Hyundai had to take notice and take action. All Ioniq vehicles produced before March 14 are being recalled for a software update. The Ioniq Hybrid and Plug-in models made after that point already has the software installed so they’re not included in the recall.

The Ioniq is slated to debut at the New York Auto Show and the North America spec Ioniq shouldn’t have the same throttle problem once they hit NA shores.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the newer ioniq's have the updated software, doesn't that mean Hyundai was already aware of the throttle problem int heir earlier batches?
Good thing nobody was behind him on the ramp and in the real world, you can't always go all the way up the ramp in one go. Somebody could be in front of you and at a stand still.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Something wrong with the hill start assist? Makes sense if you need to start and go from a standstill on a hill and the first reaction most people have would be to go for the gas pedal first when rolling backwards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would assume the hill start assist just automatically applies brake when sitting on a hill and provides extra power for gas to overcome inertia Does that sound right to you guys?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm, look here:
I haven't had the „Auto Hold“ button activated at the end of my recent test drive, so I was definitely in creep mode.
But I've noticed a similar problem in creep mode @1:42:00:

Is it normal that the Ioniq rolls backwards even if it's in „Drive“ mode on steeper roads?
It seems that the Ioniq doesn't put enough power into creeping up the slope …

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
Mine holds well on hills , in fact I would say it's the best hill start assist I've driven . Obviously on very steep hills you should apply the parking brake for safety

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new Ioniq Hybrid SEL that I just got a week and a half ago. I live in Los Angeles and drive the canyons (pretty steep hills) every day to work. I had no problems until today when my car rolled backwards. Today I came to a sudden stop on a steep section of the road and when I took my foot off of the brake it rolled backwards and continued rolling backwards as I hit the gas. I almost crashed into the car behind me, as I was not expecting my car to continue rolling backwards when I hit the gas. Am I the only one who has had this problem? Should I call the dealership?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Something wrong with the hill start assist? Makes sense if you need to start and go from a standstill on a hill and the first reaction most people have would be to go for the gas pedal first when rolling backwards.
Not really but it depends on a person. For any unexpected car moves, my first reaction is hit the brake.
Now imagine that situation from the OP video: car in front, car behind: gas pedal did not work at all - you would hit car behind you; if gas pedal worked properly you will fly into back sit of car in front of you. And without car-cams how would you prove that car malfunctioned?
You better retrain your driving skills and learn to STOP is something off is going on and not press gas like an idiot.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
worth getting them to take a look, does the US spec not include hill assist?

one thing I do note is you keep the kids well restrained in the back according to the online spec

from the safety section
Rear LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
some how I think some thing got lost in translation :) :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a new Ioniq Hybrid SEL that I just got a week and a half ago. I live in Los Angeles and drive the canyons (pretty steep hills) every day to work. I had no problems until today when my car rolled backwards. Today I came to a sudden stop on a steep section of the road and when I took my foot off of the brake it rolled backwards and continued rolling backwards as I hit the gas. I almost crashed into the car behind me, as I was not expecting my car to continue rolling backwards when I hit the gas. Am I the only one who has had this problem? Should I call the dealership?

Had you changed Into sports mode just before this ?.I have noticed that on steep hills changing into sports mode cancels the hill assist on my hybrid.

NB: It works perfectly well if left alone on sports or eco mode. The problem happens when I quickly change to sports on a hill to move off rapidly . I have now learnt to have the foot on the brake just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ajiom, no my car was not in sport mode at the time. I actually put it in sport mode after that to give it a bit more power, but generally speaking, I haven't been driving it in sport mode on the canyon except for accelerating after a red light.

And yes, I'm not an idiot and obviously I hit the brakes when I continued rolling backwards. My instinct to hit my gas when I start rolling backwards comes from driving my old car which did not have have hill assist and would roll backwards (a little) every time I switched from brake to gas on a hill.

·
Registered
326 Posts
@ajiom, no my car was not in sport mode at the time. I actually put it in sport mode after that to give it a bit more power, but generally speaking, I haven't been driving it in sport mode on the canyon except for accelerating after a red light.

And yes, I'm not an idiot and obviously I hit the brakes when I continued rolling backwards. My instinct to hit my gas when I start rolling backwards comes from driving my old car which did not have have hill assist and would roll backwards (a little) every time I switched from brake to gas on a hill.

When you hit your gas there is a second or so delay till it kicks in . This is shorter on the sports mode..

I always change the mode to sports when approaching a junction from which I have to get away quickly (for example a roundabout)

The other query I have is whether you had stopped at the steep hill for more than a few seconds without your foot on the brake ???

Ie. Were you trying to 'hold it' on the steep hill with just your foot on the gas and no brake ???

AFAIK the hill assist function is only meant last for a few seconds to give you time to lift your foot from the brake and hit the gas .

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ajiom I was not "trying to hold it" as you put it. Actually, the opposite. Traffic stopped around a blind corner and I had to stop suddenly and hit my brakes a bit harder than usual. It was when I released my foot from the brake to move forward again that I started rolling backwards (and continued to roll backwards when I stepped on the gas).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER trust ANY vehicle, even our Ioniq EV with all the hill assist technology, to stay at a Dead Stop at an intersection on an incline. I ALWAYS apply pressure to the Brake Pedal with my left foot and DO NOT release it until the vehicle begins to move forward upon acceleration. Just Good Driving technique. Never really fully trust any mechanical or electrical device. Always be ready with Plan B

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ALWAYS apply pressure to the Brake Pedal with my left foot and DO NOT release it until the vehicle begins to move forward upon acceleration. Just Good Driving technique.
Does that mean you are a 2 footed driver? Gas with right foot and brake with left? Isn't that considered bad driving technique? Not trying to be mean, just curious. I was always taught to drive with only my right foot. Foot comes off of brake and then goes to gas pedal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does that mean you are a 2 footed driver? Gas with right foot and brake with left? Isn't that considered bad driving technique? Not trying to be mean, just curious. I was always taught to drive with only my right foot. Foot comes off of brake and then goes to gas pedal.
If it's a steep hill then yes, either hand brake or foot on brake as the accelerator is being pressed.

Not bad driving, it's actual driving :) rather than being an automaton of just pressing a gas pedal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
happyioniq -- I believe that we were talking about 'Stopping on an Incline to insure no Roll Back' --- As kscottnz has eluded, " It's ACTUAL driving " ---- Of course there would be NO necessity to use BOTH feet at an intersection on level road driving -- Check this link & scroll down to #2 Stopping on an incline with an Automatic Transmission -- http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-a-Car-from-Rolling-Back-on-a-Hill ---- If you're not doing this on incline stops now I might suggest that you consider start doing so immediately !! Again , do not trust onboard technology completely. Always have a Plan B

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Agree, if stationary for any length of time and still in gear, I always keep my foot on the brake - two primary reasons being to prevent the possibility of roll back if the car comes out of hill start mode unexpectedly (it's about 2 seconds for most slopes if I remember the Ioniq manual correctly) and to keep the brake lights lit as an indicator to following motorists.

Besides, hill start stops the vehicle rolling back, not moving forwards on a downhill incline so you need the brake pedal for that anyway, so why have two different driving tactics and there are many occasions when you may not be sure whether the vehicle is actually on a downhill or uphill slope (camber effect, visual confusion). One technique, applied all the time.

Also the pin that holds the car in `park` mode is tiny, so persistently loading that without the use of brake or parking brake is going to cause accelerated wear so one needs to add brake. However, the qualified instructor in me disagrees completely with the advice in the linked document to put the car in neutral. Why would you do that when all it does is remove Plan B - if the brake fails or your foot slips the car rolls because you've disconnected it from the transmission! That's daft advice.

Reactions: chui

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
So, according to the clip this is for electric only, yet in this forum hybrid users have it too? And it can be solved by a simple software update from the dealer?
Well, remember this topic is several months old... who knows what software updates have been made in version updates that weren't made public...? >:)

The logic of the error is clear - and something I teach students all the time: Engines (well motors in this case) make cars go, brakes make them stop.

My guess is that the algorithm couldn't detect between slow continued motion and a stop as the car in the video basically used gravity to stop. If brakes were applied and the car brought to a halt then HAC should have been invoked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts