Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hyundai was forced to issue a recall on the Ioniq EV in Korea just two months following its initial debut after a YouTube video was published that shows the vehicle rolling backwards when stopped on an incline.

After coming to a stop on the uphill parking exit, the driver takes his foot off the brake pedal and anticipates the hill start assist to keep the vehicle stationary. The vehicle instead begins to roll backward. The driver then presses the accelerator, but the Ioniq doesn't perform a hill start. Switching to the brake pedal brought the car to sa stop and avoided anything tragic from happening.

Hyundai has recalled Ioniqs made until March 14th for a software update.

Hyundai Ioniq Recalled in South Korea over Rolling Backwards Problem

·
Registered
169 Posts
Apparently, it's not just the dual-clutch transmission and its HAC (Hill Start Assist Control) system that's having workmanship problems. The reviewer says that there are cosmetic problems too like some body panels coming out in slightly different shades.

Kia may be looking to reassure future Niro buyers too since they are a subsidiary of the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group and it shares the same powertrain and basic layout with the ioniq.

Not good news for Hyundai.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised with the body panel news. At this point, you'd think Hyundai knows how to manufacture body panels properly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure how I feel about getting a Hyundai now. I thought their vehicles were built to last and with good workmanship, similar to that of Toyota or Honda. More worried about what else they may be hiding since the new vehicles rolling off the line didn't need the update. That mean Hyundai knew about the problem but they never came out with it until something happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hyundai does make good cars judging by what the various surveys and reports say. They caught this problem quite quickly and made a solution for it during its limited release in Korea. Sometimes hearing about recalls is actually a good thing. it means the company has recognized an issue and ordered a recall instead of dragging their heels. People were buying GM cars for years that had faults in them because the company never issued the recall. During that time, it seemed as though the cars had no problems at all even though the problems were there that entire time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Of all issues for them to have I didn't expect that to happen but hopefully it won't impact in some people not getting it. Plus you can always test drive these before putting the order through for your own, at least by doing that you can get a sense of what that current state of the Ioniq is like. Then decide what you want to do.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm much more comfortable buying a Korean-made car than an American-made or Canadian-made car. Honda is going through a disastrous recall on their brand new Civic. Seems someone at the Canadian factory couldn't be troubled to put the retaining rings in properly (or at all!) for the wrist pins. Now owners of 32,000 cars have to go through a very invasive inspection where the oil pan has to be removed and the pistons bore-scoped to see if the retaining rings are set OK. If they aren't, the wrist pins could come part way out and score the cylinders and all kinds of bad stuff happen. In that case the owners are looking at a new engine block. I love Hondas, but I don't think I would buy a NA-made Honda.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm going to be going through the ioniq when it makes its way onto lots in Q4 for cosmetic problems. I assume the throttle problem will be fixed in NA models by then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to be going through the ioniq when it makes its way onto lots in Q4 for cosmetic problems. I assume the throttle problem will be fixed in NA models by then.
Do you mean elements of the vehicle that were messed up in production (scratches or misalignments) or actual problems with the design altogether?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts