Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a uber driver during the day I have to park waiting for a job. Should put the car in park or turn off? Or does this depend on weather if so what is the optimum temperature to get more range?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
960 Posts
I'm a uber driver during the day I have to park waiting for a job. Should put the car in park or turn off? Or does this depend on weather if so what is the optimum temperature to get more range?
Don't turn it off if you're going to run the radio, you might find yourself with a dead 12V battery and unable to start it again. It's also nice to keep it going for heat or AC, it doesn't use that much energy to do so.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
857 Posts
As mentioned by Kevin, just put it in park and wait. It uses virtually no power to keep it on and you can listen to the radio, charge a phone, stay comfortable and be ready to leave at a moments notice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don't turn it off if you're going to run the radio, you might find yourself with a dead 12V battery and unable to start it again. It's also nice to keep it going for heat or AC, it doesn't use that much energy to do so.
If the 12v dies, can’t you just jump it off easily with the hybrid battery? There’s even a special Button for it

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Phev
25 Posts
If the 12v dies, can’t you just jump it off easily with the hybrid battery? There’s even a special Button for it
Ioniq Phev doesn’t have the jump start button.
I’m a Uber driver as well and I am curious to see how the car perform on the job (haven’t started yet but I will do it in 3-4 weeks).

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
960 Posts
Only the HEV models have that because they use a lithium ion 12V that automatically disconnects to preserve its remaining charge if it starts to get too low. The 12V Reset button doesn't charge it, it just reconnects it so that you can 'start' the car. Once started the DC-DC converter takes over to power the 12V systems, recharging the 12V lithium ion battery as well.

The BEV and PHEV models (and early HEVs) have a (small) old fashioned 12V lead acid battery, if it runs down you're going to need a boost to get going again. There's a Battery Saver Plus function that's supposed to monitor it and use the main battery to charge it back up as needed, but it doesn't check often enough and the 12V can still get killed.

Best practice is to leave the car 'running' if you're just going to be sitting there listening to the radio, or loading cargo with the interior lights on for any length of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts