Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Ioniq made its North American debut in New York last week and on-sale dates were also disclosed. Hyundai's vice president Mike O'Brien and product planning manager John Shon made the announcement.

The Ioniq Hybrid and Ioniq Electric will be heading to showrooms first, going on sale in the fourth quarter of 2016. The Ioniq Plug-in will be following a little bit later, likely in the spring of 2017. Shon explained that the plug-in powertrain was developed after the higher-priority conventional hybrid. Hyundai is expecting the standard hybrid to sell much better than the other electrified Ioniqs.

The Ioniq Hybrid will be sold in all 50 states, while the Ioniq Plug-in and Ioniq Electric will only be sold in states that operate under California's zero-emissions vehicle regulations (California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont.) People who live in other states can special-order the electric or plug-in model at any Hyundai dealer.

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, EV On Sale Q4 2016, Plug-in by Q2 2017 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wonder if people living in states not under California's zero-emissions vehicle regulations will have to pay a higher shipping fee for the electric and plug-in models.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's a shame the vehicle will not be available sooner. There are potential buyers that are 'turned-off' by the new Prius. In addition, the hybrid markets gets more competitive every month as new vehicles are introduced. The Prius Prime is also generating some interest, although it's debut is also in 2017.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean, I think that they have the time frame that they do to make sure everything goes smoothly in terms of production and development. it's more important that the Ioniq doesn't have significant issues when it is finally in dealerships.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The ioniq electrioc variant is coming first this fall, and then the hybrid will follow this winter and the plug in should hit the market next summer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The ioniq electrioc variant is coming first this fall, and then the hybrid will follow this winter and the plug in should hit the market next summer.
I like how they're betting on peoples urgency to get an Ioniq, placing the electric version as the first of that roll out should help to secure some more sales, some will budge and get it instead of the hybrid or plugin. These days there's less downsides to getting an EV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's an odd release date, isn't that around the time the Chevy Bolt is coming out? I had assumed Hyundai wouldn't want to compete with them at the same time for the EV market and instead go with the hybrids first.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It makes sense to me since they can leverage all the hype going on around the Bolt, people will be comparing it to what else is out their and with a rival coming out at the same time, it could work in Hyundai's favor. The only thing Hyundai has to have is confidence in their product, the rest is just up to what we see come out from evaluations of both. Ioniq Electric should be a solid product.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unless Hyundai undercuts the EV Bolt, releasing it around the same time can be detrimental to their sales numbers. The Bolt has a higher range and if the Ioniq EV costs around the same, buyers with range anxiety will most likely go for the Bolt. We'll just have to wait and see what the NA prices are and how the vehicle handles. So far price wise, looking at the Korean converted MSRP, the Ioniq EV looks to be the better choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts