Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hyundai recently revealed the Ioniq Hybrid, Plug-in, and Electric before their official debut at the Geneva Motor Show; the world’s first model to be offered with three electric powertrains and you get see them before the 3rd.

We’ve already seen the hybrid version but we haven’t seen the plug-in and electric variants until now. The plug-in model looks identical to the hybrid, they even share the Kappa 1.6-liter GDI direct injected petrol four-cylinder engine. Paired with a six-speed double clutch transmission, the vehicle is supposed to have an output of 104hp and 108lb-ft of torque.

What’s different with the plug-in is its battery and electric motor. Compared to the hybrid’s 43hp motor and 1.56kWh battery, the larger 8.9kWh lithium-ion-polymer battery and 60hp electric motor works together in the plug-in to reduce the vehicle’s CO2 emissions to somewhere as low as 32g/km. The total system output has not been released yet but Hyundai may do so at the Geneva show.

As for the full electric variant, it has the largest battery at 28kWh and it has 118hp and 218lb-ft of torque output. The top speed is 103-mph with a quoted 155 miles but that range figure will probably go down as you approach the top speed.

All three models will have these available features: Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Tom Tom live services, wireless charging for smartphone devices, 7-inch TFT instrument cluster, innovative safety package that includes Autonomous Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Smart Cruise Control. If these features, excluding the innovative safety package, come standard with the Ioniq, then the Toyota Prius will have a losing fight on its hands.

What we don’t know is when the Ioniq models will hit North American shores but we may get a general time estimate from Hyundai this week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am a bit surprised by the range quoted. When other brands are coming out with 200 mile range vehicles, it seems like an obvious signal that the vehicle hasn't had the same amount of time and research invested in it. I don't believe that, but I think that is the message that it sends.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You also have to look at and consider what's needed and other factors like price. For all we know this could be aggressively priced with range enough for most owners out there. Plus Hyundai could improve on the range numbers later on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I assume they will improve the range numbers, and if they don't try to undercut the price of some others then I'm not sure the Ioniq will sell very well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually .... the above picture does not look terribly bad to me. I like the two tone treatment. That may be the solution.

The front end facade of cars without a radiator is somewhat of a problem. Remember the Chevy Corsair. The front end was pretty bad. Porsche does a nice job. Hyundai is trying to keep as many components as possible the same on all three variations of the Ioniq, but the two tome paint just may work.

This is one instance when the license plate helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That silvery plastic looks really bad. It looks cheap. I don't understand why they went with a matte finish. I think that a gloss finish would look much, much better.

At the rear they use this black gloss to fill in different areas, but then the front uses a different color and finish. I just don't get why.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That one close up posted has me starting to like it. I think over time it will grow on me. But one thing for sure is it was designed to get attention and to scream that it's green and doing its part for the environment. And some people want to be identified as that.

It's like how some people will buy a Mercedes S-Class partially because "it's a mercedes!!" and another person that can easily afford that S-Class buys a Lexus LS, Hyundai Genesis, etc. to stay low profile.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That silvery plastic looks really bad.
Don't get me wrong, I am not debating your comment. Your opinion is perfectly valid.

But you saw something that I did not. The "silvery plastic" comment. Do you know that to be a fact? When I looked at it, I thought it was contrasting, painted steel coachwork. I assumed that other colors would have different colored panels. You may be right. In any case, I'm trying to withhold judgement until I actually see one.

But it really doesn't matter anyway to me. I am not in the market for a 105 mile range EV.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'll bet those are LED headlamps on the EV. I wish they were available on the HEV.

The Verge had a short, sweet, and interesting video of the EV including a shot with the hood up. Looks like there's plenty of room under the hood in case you have to work on anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking at it from a cost perspective and through how to differentiate the two, making LED available only on the EV makes most sense.

What they might do down the road is make the headlights an option for trims under the EV which should leave most people happy. I wouldn't mind that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not debating your comment. Your opinion is perfectly valid.

But you saw something that I did not. The "silvery plastic" comment. Do you know that to be a fact? When I looked at it, I thought it was contrasting, painted steel coachwork. I assumed that other colors would have different colored panels. You may be right. In any case, I'm trying to withhold judgement until I actually see one.

But it really doesn't matter anyway to me. I am not in the market for a 105 mile range EV.
So you think that silver stuff in the grille is actually metal? And that the color of that metal may change depending on the exterior color of the vehicle?

·
Registered
176 Posts
So you think that silver stuff in the grille is actually metal?

And that the color of that metal may change depending on the exterior color of the vehicle?
Your first point is good. I suppose the front "bumper skins" are all non-metal these days. I just have a negative connotation of the word "plastic," although I suppose that is exactly what it is. Had you originally said fiberglass, or automotive neoprene, or any other word than "plastic" I would never have mentioned it.

Re your second point: I think it would be a missed opportunity if a complementary color was not used. Just an opinion .... I have absolutely no idea, and truthfully, don't much care.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A second thought:
I have somewhat defended the front of the EV Ioniq ..... that is until I was signing off and saw the front end up close (bottom of Page 1). That image does not display much design skill. And look at the size of the Hyundai emblem .... wayyyy out of proportion.
I find my self feeling grateful that I am not counting the days until I can own a copy.

Maybe they should sell that expansive, unused space to advertisers ..... Geico, or BudLite maybe?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could probably buy the car and sell that ad space, make back the initial car investment. :)
But yea, it's pretty ugly and if it wasn't for the hideous design for the EV then I may have gone for it. They just gave up on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think that the front and back materials have to match, and that the silver looks bad. A different color could look better though. I'd be open to seeing that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You could probably buy the car and sell that ad space, make back the initial car investment. :)
But yea, it's pretty ugly and if it wasn't for the hideous design for the EV then I may have gone for it. They just gave up on it.
LOL good luck with that. The time it takes to accumulate the amount required to pay off the car from that ad space will out live you due to high poor of an impact it will have with being effective, and that being on a personal car, not even a transport truck or taxi.

-1 more point for calling a car an investment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The vehicle already is a branded with the Hyundai emblem. I don't want to have to advertise anything else. Besides I don't think it would be effective. Most ads that we see now are ignored thanks to our awesome brains that have developed the capacity to block most of them out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well fact is it's only a good idea if you have a good following not if you're a nobody, run a service where you're on the road a lot of times, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts