Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HYUNDAI IONIQ HYBRID SETS 157.825 MPH, FIA-APPROVED LAND SPEED RECORD

HYUNDAI IONIQ HYBRID SETS 157.825 MPH, FIA-APPROVED LAND SPEED RECORD AT WORLD-RENOWNED BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah – A race-prepared Hyundai Ioniq hybrid prototype, developed by Hyundai Motor America’s Engineering and Quality team, set an FIA-approved production-based hybrid vehicle land speed record of 157.825 mph, with a peak exit speed of 160.7 mph at Utah’s renowned Bonneville Salt Flats. The eco-focused Ioniq is Hyundai’s newest hybrid model, with hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrains to be available. Ioniq hybrid and electric models go on sale in the U.S. in late 2016.

“We couldn’t be more proud in setting the FIA hybrid-category record with our new Ioniq hybrid,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, Corporate and Product Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Our engineering team really pushed the limits to set this new segment benchmark while demonstrating the impressive durability of the entire Ioniq vehicle platform. We expect this will be the first of many accolades for Ioniq.”

Hyundai Motor America’s engineering and quality group led the concept development for this grassroots motorsports effort. “A key role of Hyundai’s engineering team in the U.S. is to thoroughly test all future vehicle prototypes to ensure they exceed the demanding expectations of our customers,” said Mircea Gradu, director, Engineering and Quality, Hyundai Motor America. “As we performed these tests on Ioniq, the engineering and quality staff became so impressed with the results that we began to wonder if we should raise our sights even higher, and the Ioniq land speed record effort was born.”

The development team made a number of special modifications to the Ioniq hybrid prototype to break the hybrid record, including:

Powertrain
  • Low-restriction intake and exhaust systems with retained catalyst
  • Engine, transmission, and hybrid ECU recalibrated and governors removed
  • Air conditioning and ancillary accessories removed
  • Nitrous Express single-stage direct-port nitrous injection with stand-alone fuel system, cockpit-controlled
Aerodynamics/Lightweighting
  • Ioniq Electric model front grille and valance integration
  • Underbody and air dam aerodynamic modifications
  • Interior components removed or lightened
Suspension
  • Progress Competition coil-over suspension with optimized spring, damping and sway bar rates and ride height lowered 100mm
  • Lightweight aero wheels and wheel covers with Goodyear® Eagle tires
Safety
  • Fully-integrated high-strength safety cage structure (Bisimoto-designed)
  • Sparco® 6-point safety harness system, racing seat, and driver safety gear
  • On-board fire-suppression system, battery disconnects and parachute

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have just noticed the Ioniq is non turbo, so 157 mph out of the 1.6 engine is even more impressive
Correct! Actually, it would be interesting to know more details about the set-up. I'm betting the electric motor was not a stock, Ioniq unit.

The article mentions the ICE intake and exhaust systems, even to include a cat. converter. It mentioned removing the speed limiting device. .... but not much information about the electric motor. That has to be where the additional power came from. Then it would possibly follow .... that the battery was not a stock Ioniq battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct! Actually, it would be interesting to know more details about the set-up. I'm betting the electric motor was not a stock, Ioniq unit.

The article mentions the ICE intake and exhaust systems, even to include a cat. converter. It mentioned removing the speed limiting device. .... but not much information about the electric motor. That has to be where the additional power came from. Then it would possibly follow .... that the battery was not a stock Ioniq battery.
the article don't mention any changes to the motor, and changing or modifying that would be a major engineering challenge, so I think the motor is likely to be stock

the other thing they mention is re-mapping and removing limiters

the Ioniq Hybrid normally only works in hybrid up to 75mph, over that it is petrol engine only, did they change that to give let the electric motor run at higher speeds? or something like it only came in over 100mph? so as not to waste the battery power at lower speeds?

as you say mre detail would be good

·
Registered
176 Posts
bluevar1 - I think you and I are thinking pretty-much along the same lines.

Obviously, the vehicle was not showroom stock. I's hard to imagine that a non-blown 1.6 CI ICE could develop sufficient power to go that fast. The answer has to be in the electric drive .... which was not mentioned. Provide sufficient battery potential and a large enough electric motor, I suppose they could dial up any speed they desired (within reason). It then became a matter of suspension, handling, aerodynamics, safety .... and keeping it looking like a showroom Ironiq. (except for the parachute).

To set a record two runs must be made in opposite directions within a set time limit. Perhaps, they had a way to switch out the battery pack after the first run and install another for the return trip.

It was a good publicity stunt!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think the relevant comment is "Engine, transmission, and hybrid ECU recalibrated and governors removed"

that definitely sounds like removing the 75mph limiter from the electric motor and changing when it delivers its power

I bet it did quite an effective job of recharging the battery under braking from 157mph :)

but at that rate of discharge and recharge I would have thought they would have needed more battery cooling, but if they stripped all the interior out to save weight the battery would have been more exposed so better natural cooling anyway

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wonder how much extra power the inlet and exhaust manifold changes alone would liberate?
When will they become either options,aftermarket purchases,or incorporated into the cars as standard perhaps with a slight software tweek.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Are you sure there is no torque added from the motor after 75 mph? Besides that point, they may have changed the final drive ratio. If there is no added torque from the motor after 75 mph, they could have removed the traction battery for the same results. The whole thing is silly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts