Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was a really good video it highlights some of the issues you might face when deciding between the two. They also have a good video comparing Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really enjoyed the video, but near the end they run out of gas with the Hybrid model, and he gets a strange sounding warning that if they continue to drive the hybrid system will be damaged, this sounded a bit strange to me, I know running out of gas is bad for a car, I guess potential damage to fuel system, but why would it damage the hybrid system. Is this a real message or what?

Marcel

·
Registered
162 Posts
Really enjoyed the video, but near the end they run out of gas with the Hybrid model, and he gets a strange sounding warning that if they continue to drive the hybrid system will be damaged, this sounded a bit strange to me, I know running out of gas is bad for a car, I guess potential damage to fuel system, but why would it damage the hybrid system. Is this a real message or what?

Marcel
I'm guessing the hybrid battery might fully deplete, which is bad for lithium batteries.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Enjoyed the video - certainly show the value of L3 charging if you are going for long distances.

Found how they both preferred the electric interesting but one of them would choose the hybrid because of the distances he travels. Wonder how long before sufficient L3 charging along major highways.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Enjoyed the video - certainly show the value of L3 charging if you are going for long distances.

Found how they both preferred the electric interesting but one of them would choose the hybrid because of the distances he travels. Wonder how long before sufficient L3 charging along major highways.
It was quite good....I am the same would only have the HEV due to distance travelled....even with L3 charging if you do a long distance every week it adds a significant time to your travelling on top of doing work!

What we need is the same as what the ioniq has for phones.....inductive charging for cars built into the road surface :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree the future will include some type of induction/wireless charging BUT for high speed / fast charging (level 3) a cable is still (likely) required.

Fortunately for me I don't have the need for long distance travels anymore (by car).

If the Ioniq had an option for small (existing) battery and a bigger longer range battery, for the expected price difference I would still choose the smaller battery (because of the cost)

In 4 years, will see how much batteries will cost for the range provided and whether the market more aggressively shifts from ICE/hybrids to all EVs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What we need is the same as what the ioniq has for phones.....inductive charging for cars built into the road surface :)
Only problem I have heard about inductive charging is it's not very efficient, plug and charge is still (at the moment) the most optimal way to charge. If manufactures could come to an agreement to battery bolt patterns or a system could be built that could be used for various battery types, I still think the Tesla battery swap method is hands down the best.
Jump to 3:53Video Here

Though I do foresee a problem with Canadian winters making the bolts a pain to get off.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Only problem I have heard about inductive charging is it's not very efficient, plug and charge is still (at the moment) the most optimal way to charge. If manufactures could come to an agreement to battery bolt patterns or a system could be built that could be used for various battery types, I still think the Tesla battery swap method is hands down the best.

According to the in and out ratings on my phone inductive chargers its 50%

I was joking! I doubt we would have them in the roads as how would they bill and the gap between car and road is a bit large wit the wheels. You wouldn't want to drop your phone on the road as it would cause a nuclear explosion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
A fascinating comparison, both drivers staying together and also swapping cars so that speed, distance and driving style were so well matched.
If you need to drive long distance on a regular basis then the Hybrid must be preferred, if, like myself, long journeys are only occasional then time spent charging is manageable, and probably adds to safety with the enforced rest.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, that particular stretch of 401 highway heading down to Ottawa is set to get several Level 3 charging stations according to the Ontario's government website. Looks like they should get those stations hopefully by this fall.

That said, if they had been paying attention on the way there and stopped at the Level 3 charger around Ajax, they wouldn't have such a long of a wait. Even if they accidently missed the exit, it would have been quicker to turn around and head back rather than hang out at the Big Apple.

Also on their way back there was two Level 3 chargers on their route that they could have stopped for. Were they perhaps looking at just the Flo chargers, rather than looking at one of the universal maps listing all the charging stations?

That said, it was interesting to see the car drive at it's lowest level with still a little bit of power left, although ideally no one should really do that since it's not good for the batteries.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Although entertaining, such a kind of adventurous story is not really good for those interested in EV driving to get trust. Their enthusiasm was nice, but the two guys still give the wrong message, as if having an EV brings you in a kind of unknown wilderness of charging stations, which is not realistic, as for this case is also indicated by @MatthewFabb above. Such a story on top of earlier stories from Jeremy Clarkson, Zoe Williams and other journalists that describe EV driving as problematic just build an incorrect and harmful image of EV driving. It seems that such journalists or vloggers intentionally ignore knowledge about charging and charging stations to get a more spectacular (and also more negative) story.

Reactions: MatthewFabb

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am pretty sure the same "harmful" image exist at the beginning of the ICE vehicle era. Their act might be reckless but did demonstrate even with the sparse number of L3 chargers with some planning (which they deviated) is still possible to do long distance travel with a shorter range EV. When the charging network is better developed in 5 years this will be a footnote in Wikipedia.

We are the early adopters and we will be ambassadors to promote and prove EV is a viable alternative, just like this couple had done.

https://teslaxcanada.com/

·
Registered
48 Posts
As @Jan Treur said very entertaining - even more so if you know any Canadians ... I can see echoes of my nephews in these guys :)

Reactions: Jan Treur

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fact that Gov't of Ontario's 20 En Route service centres along hwy's 401 and 400 do not all have level 3 charging stations is an abject failure of government policy. If tech-savvy early adopters face the challenges travelling between Ontario's two largest cities by EV highlighted in this video, what about the rest of the driving public? EV drivers should NOT have to upload 4 different smart phone apps and finesse trip planning acrobatics to make a simple intercity journey. Shame on the policymakers in Ontario.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ONRoute service stations are not government run. It make a lot more sense to have L3 charging station on these service stations. I have explore driving from Toronto to Montreal with a 200KM range EV, there are enough L3 charging station along the way and none are on any ONRoute service centers. I have not explore whether it is possible to reach Vancouver with the Ioniq.

The multiple phone apps/RFID tag is a common thing even in Norway. Unless the charging stations are run by a monopoly or government you have to deal with multiple vendors. Until these vendors all support Interac debit this is unavoidable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The nearest level 3 charger to me is over 800km away. I don't want to drive an ICE car any more. EVs won't cut it with driving for a couple of hours, charging at a Sun Country Highway charger for a few hours, drive... That's why I'm leaning towards the PHEV right now. I'm taking a wait and see attitude atm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts