Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Autoweek editors Jake Lingeman and Andrew Stoy, figured it was time to compare the Hyundai Ioniq against the Toyota Prius after having test driven both hybrid vehicles. On paper, they seem to be pretty evenly matched with either cars excelling in different areas.

Where the Prius pulled ahead was in the engine department with a small displacement advantage and a higher motor output at 71 hp compared to the Ioniq’s 43 hp. The editors also preferred the Prius' double-wishbone rear suspension setup over the Ioniq multilink, as they claim it delivers the kind of driving character that enthusiasts look for.

But, the Ioniq won against the Prius in four important areas; fuel mileage, transmissions, pricing, and total system output.

When it comes to hybrids, fuel economy is very important and the Ioniq has a higher combined EPA figure of 58mpg, a bit more than the Prius at 56 mpg. Then there’s its six-speed dual clutch transmission that will deliver smooth changes even at slow speeds, preferable over a CVT. Finally, we come to the Ioniq’s total system output and while its 18 hp and 5 lb-ft of torque lead may not seem like much, that small difference comes at a price that’s $1000 less than the Prius.

Ultimately, both are great hybrid vehicles and the next generation Ioniq may win the next round.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another thing, not mentioned in that article is a difference in the body configurations. The Prius is lower to the ground. That was the deal-breaker for me, as it made it harder to get in & out of the car. Also a lower car will have poor ground clearance on snow.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I compared both cars deeply, having been a Toyota owner for the last 15 years - 4 different Toyotas.
I preferred both the looks, and the features of Ioniq as a result.
My story is that I had been following the news on hybrid and plug-in cars since 2007, and closely the last year, since I needed a new car. On April 21sth I tested the new Toyota Prius plug-in before lunch and Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid after lunch.

The Prius somewhat failed to impress me, but the ride was very smooth, and loved the electric part of the drive. It also seemed a bit small inside, and had only room for two rear seats. Not a big deal, but not ideal. And no luxury feel.

With the Ioniq Hybrid I fell in love after just a few kilometres. Everything felt just right, and a double clutch transmission is what I had wanted for years. But I wanted the plug-in, thought about it for a month, ordered it and waited for it three months. But juts a week after I test drove the hybrid, I joined this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts