Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a great image of the cargo space you can expect in the Hyundai Ioniq. Don't have dimensions yet but just from this visual you can get a good sense of what can and can't fit in, especially with those folding rear seats.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That image makes me wonder if the seats fold down completely flat but still looks to have substantial cargo space even with the seats up. Also like the way the trunk opening is shaped to give you more headroom when placing things inside.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it's an industry standard for them to fold down, it's simply displayed as it is in the photo here to show it can indeed fold.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That seems a lot bigger tha I had envisioned actually. What a pleasant surprise. Looks like it can stand up to make of the CUVs that are out there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There has been quite a discussion on PriusChat about the size of batteries and the impact on interior space. The battery in the Prius plug-in is quite a bit larger than the hybrid, and the result is a smaller cargo area (plus it being only a four seater and no spare tire).

I presume that the Ioniq will experience the same cause and effect. The battery in the EV will be even substantially larger. Toyota does not have an EV.
Tesla solved the problem by placing the battery beneath the floor, which can be done in EV's without a tailpipe running the length of the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
Is there a difference in folding down the rear seats in an Ioniq Electric in comparison to the hybrid?

·
Registered
78 Posts
placing the batteries below the floor has the positive of lowering the centre of gravity, but the batteries are more easily damaged, I believe tesla had to strengthen the floor in early models to prevent damage to the batteries
I don't think anyone is mounting the battery outside of the car like a gas tank except Tesla. All of the PHEV and EVs I've seen have batteries reside inside of the vehicle. You'll have to do some serious damage to the car itself before the battery is damaged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Regarding cargo space I got an Indesit tumble drier into the back of mine last week, now that's something I would not have been able to do with my last car a 320d BMW.

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
Yes, every other Saturday I load 1/3 of my son's football team (under 17 years) in my car. It fits, but the middle seat is not popular. They measure who is the shortest (upon my request).

·
Registered
69 Posts
The folded seats do not fold all the way down flat in either version of the car, but the floor behind the seats are set slightly lower in the hybrid than in the EV.

I was able to transport a Miele tumble-dryer last week, in the original factory packaging. I've also had a bike in there, so the trunk is quite spacious.

Once I also loaded it full of boxes of paper, approx. one pallet in all, and probably exceeded every weight limit there is. The car didn't handle well, but I was able to wobble home a few kms. at low speeds.

The rear seat however, is not fit for three adults to sit comfortably. I.e., it is possible to squeeze in, but definitely gets tight sideways. Also, the height leaves something to be desired. I am 187 cm tall and my head bumps firmly into the ceiling.

My daughter bought the Kia Niro this week, and the rear seat there definitely has more headroom. Otherwise, the cars seem very, very similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The folded seats do not fold all the way down flat in either version of the car, but the floor behind the seats are set slightly lower in the hybrid than in the EV.

I was able to transport a Miele tumble-dryer last week, in the original factory packaging. I've also had a bike in there, so the trunk is quite spacious.

Once I also loaded it full of boxes of paper, approx. one pallet in all, and probably exceeded every weight limit there is. The car didn't handle well, but I was able to wobble home a few kms. at low speeds.

The rear seat however, is not fit for three adults to sit comfortably. I.e., it is possible to squeeze in, but definitely gets tight sideways. Also, the height leaves something to be desired. I am 187 cm tall and my head bumps firmly into the ceiling.

My daughter bought the Kia Niro this week, and the rear seat there definitely has more headroom. Otherwise, the cars seem very, very similar.
So, the cargo space in the kia is the same? Can you compare the cargo space? I was hoping it was bigger. The Niro is 54.5 cubic ft. with the seats down. I can't find the Ioniq's dimensions online but i loved driving it today.
Thanks for the pics. The openess of the Ioniq definitely allows for bigger items to be loaded.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe the Ioniq is longer than the Niro, and that difference shows up in the cargo space. The Niro's might be slightly taller, judging by photos, but the Ioniq's would be quite a bit longer. I believe the Ioniq's space is 945mm behind the rear seats, and 975mm wide. But maybe someone who has one can post actual measurements.

marcel

1 - 20 of 37 Posts