Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not a direct comparison, but Autoevolution just reported that an VW ID4 had a longer range than the Tesla Model 3 (Link below).
I have no idea about French publication L’Automobile, but their results for each car are almost certainly from differing conditions. If i were to guess based on the numbers i would suggest the temperature was considerably lower when they tested the Tesla. Check the Range tab of Bjorn's spreadsheet if you want to get a realistic idea of how different EV's perform, and pay close attention to how much difference the conditions make: TB tests - Google Sheets

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
Gunn3Y, I looked at Bjorn’s spreadsheets and the big difference I see is due to the different speeds used for testing. I don’t see any tests at the same speed with different temperatures. Am I on the wrong spreadsheets?

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
Tesla model Y versus the Ford Mach E comparison in Car and Driver article below. The Mach E was rated above the Tesla. A lot of the reasons for the Mach E beating the Tesla will be the same for the Ioniq 5 if it meets the claims on the release videos. Also note at 75 mph (the freeway speed limit in Arizona), the Mach E beat the Tesla range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TX. So what are the results in English ? (AWD mode both ? Do they give the range, average speed, average kwh/100 kms or mile ?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
125 Posts
Korean video
Range test model Y / Ioniq 5 73KWh AWD
both cars are driving together in the same conditions
With all the respect we have for Tesla, it seems that fully charged, the predicted range is overrated by Tesla and underrated by Hyundai Ioniq 5. Tesla loses 20->30km, Ioniq 5 wins 20->30km, which brings them more together.
Tesla Model Y starts with a +500km prediction and ends with a real 470-480km
Ioniq 5 starts with a 420km prediction and ends with a real +450 km.
The most important thing to consider is when you make a long trip, you will have to stop every 200-250km to rest a bit, maybe drink or eat something or maybe you need only go to the toilet, but if you can charge 100km in 5 minutes, it doesn't matter if your Ioniq 5 has a range of 350 or 450 km. The only point is to plan the stops of your trip very well and hoping that the fast charger is working. This is the biggest concern these days, not the range anymore. That's what a lot of reviewers think also.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes this is true, Elon Musk want to open his charging network for all EV's. So in Europe too. It is certainly a fine idea and a beautiful gift from Elon, that has to be appreciated. This enhanced the quantity EV stations with a lot for not Tesla drivers. Thank you very much Elon !!!
The point is, will the Tesla owners be pleased with that? Personally, I would be afraid to use it, just to avoid discussions, frustrations and in the worst scenario car damage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes this is true, Elon Musk want to open his charging network for all EV's. So in Europe too. It is certainly a fine idea and a beautiful gift from Elon, that has to be appreciated. This enhanced the quantity EV stations with a lot for not Tesla drivers. Thank you very much Elon !!!
The point is, will the Tesla owners be pleased with that? Personally, I would be afraid to use it, just to avoid discussions, frustrations and in the worst scenario car damage.
I want to add this. Tesla owners everywhere are generally very nice people and are fans of their brand, which speaks for the Tesla brand. However, about 10% of them are not fans, but fanatics, which is not the same. Any non-Tesla driver is bad for them. Chris from CarManiac Germany, has already ordered a model Y 2 years ago, but has not yet received it. On the Tesla forum, a few fanatics started to finish him off that he tested and liked other EVs, without knowing that he had ordered a Tesla himself. For this reason, he has now canceled his Testla model Y and asks for his 2000 euro advance back. We may be fans of IONIQ, but should never let it get as far as they do.
see video

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kindly bear in mind that the so called Elon gift will not be free. Furthermore, in Europe many HPC are possible thanks to public utilities transmission grid improvements paid by all local or national citizens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kindly bear in mind that the so called Elon gift will not be free. Furthermore, in Europe many HPC are possible thanks to public utilities transmission grid improvements paid by all local or national citizens.
Yes, I know, but I find it normal that we will have to pay for it, like on al other EV chargers.
I completely agree with you, we all payed taxes who brought them the subsidies to install the EV stations.(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
So eventually all companies should share their chargers with common plug (CCS Combo in Europe) starting with 25kW DC (to replace existing 11 or 22 kW AC chargers)

·
Registered
125 Posts
So eventually all companies should share their chargers with common plug (CCS Combo in Europe) starting with 25kW DC (to replace existing 11 or 22 kW AC chargers)
Don't forget 2 things:
  1. Hyundai prefers that you charge AC instead of DC for preserving the battery life.
  2. A lot of other EV drivers, certainly owing older cars, can only charge on AC 11 or 22KWh. My wife for example has a 2018 Renault Zoe R90, which can only charge up to 22KW AC.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
17 Posts
I want to add this. Tesla owners everywhere are generally very nice people and are fans of their brand, which speaks for the Tesla brand. However, about 10% of them are not fans, but fanatics, which is not the same. Any non-Tesla driver is bad for them. Chris from CarManiac Germany, has already ordered a model Y 2 years ago, but has not yet received it. On the Tesla forum, a few fanatics started to finish him off that he tested and liked other EVs, without knowing that he had ordered a Tesla himself. For this reason, he has now canceled his Testla model Y and asks for his 2000 euro advance back. We may be fans of IONIQ, but should never let it get as far as they do.
see video
I went into the research of my next EV with an open mind, leaning toward the Model Y because of its reputation. On closer inspection, I find there are some major issues, one of which being that Tesla has some weird distinctions about what they will fix or replace. (The worst I've heard is Tesla trying to force a Model 3 owner to buy a whole new pack at $16k because they failed to shield some hoses for the pack cooling system, and some road debris cracked a plastic pipe.)

Another surprise is the degree of fanaticism among Tesla owners. I get that they are, in part, triggered by an unreasonable amount of anti-Tesla hatred and lies, but being equally unreasonable and arrogant is not the right solution. It all makes finding reliable information exhausting.

I want to buy a car, not join a tribe. I don't need this level of drama.

As a result, the Model Y needs to be pretty near magical for me to pick it over the 5 at this point. Still need to do test drives....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went into the research of my next EV with an open mind, leaning toward the Model Y because of its reputation. On closer inspection, I find there are some major issues, one of which being that Tesla has some weird distinctions about what they will fix or replace. (The worst I've heard is Tesla trying to force a Model 3 owner to buy a whole new pack at $16k because they failed to shield some hoses for the pack cooling system, and some road debris cracked a plastic pipe.)

Another surprise is the degree of fanaticism among Tesla owners. I get that they are, in part, triggered by an unreasonable amount of anti-Tesla hatred and lies, but being equally unreasonable and arrogant is not the right solution. It all makes finding reliable information exhausting.

I want to buy a car, not join a tribe. I don't need this level of drama.

As a result, the Model Y needs to be pretty near magical for me to pick it over the 5 at this point. Still need to do test drives....
Everyone is free to have their own opinion and be a fan of this or that brand, but no one should force their own choice on another or say the other made a bad choice. We must respect everyone's choice.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts