Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
You do not have to owe money beyond what you have paid to get the credit. Think of this as your first payment. Your refund will go up by the $7,500. Yes I am certain as I have used this credit when I purchased my 2019 Chevy Bolt and had a tax refund as a result.
A lot of people have made this assumption that you need to need to pay additional, but it is not true. Check with your accountant.
I know a number of people that have used this credit just as I did. If you get the Ionic 5, don't forget to go for the credit. I know I will. FYI, I am getting another $7,500 this year for the 2021 Chrysler plug in hybrid I just purchased. :D

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
No. You’re assumptions are just wrong. These credits are tracked, look up how much money was actually credited. You’ll be shocked. Most working class stiffs pay weekly so they can get a refund. Stupidest thing ever, but that’s what the VAST majority do. The “others” have incomes such as they know how to claim losses, and pay quarterlies to avoid writing checks every year, or quarter.
Who cares? If you feel so passionately about tax (yawn!) please start a separate thread so I can get back to comments on Tesla Y vs Hyundai I5

·
Registered
165 Posts
Who cares? If you feel so passionately about tax (yawn!) please start a separate thread so I can get back to comments on Tesla Y vs Hyundai I5
I started the point on the US Tax advantage as one that the Hyundai I5 has versus the Tesla Y. When I compare the prices, I consider I will get $7,500 credit on the I5 but not on the Y. I realize for you it has no relevance - sorry. Unfortunately we still have no idea what the price will be in the US or what options will actually be included.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Married without kids making $170k. We get a refund every year and don’t owe. This does nothing for us in the U.S. You have to owe the IRS come tax time to be able to use this.
And you will increase your refund by $7,500 if you buy an Ioniq 5. Just like everyone else in your income bracket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
there are several reasons why i am ordering the ioniq 5 over model y (i am a current model 3 owner also).
1. 800v architecture. faster charging, and its still very early for 800v, so it is a good car to own long term, as not many cars will have more than that for a while. kinda future proofing.
2. 7500 federal tax credit. saves money :)
3. blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert. teslas are completely incapable of doing these since there is no rear facing corner radar like almost every single new car sold. this is especially disappointing for luxury vehicles. so much for safety. this is really useful for nighttime driving, at least in my experience.
4. removal of front facing radar on the tesla. that has been a fundamental piece of hardware for front collision safety features. pure camera is not even close to as good as having a radar as well.
5. quality. hyundai has been making some quality vehicles now (ioniq 5 coolant leaks i hope will be fixed by the time the us gets their cars).
6. vehicle to load. seems like a feature that is potentially useful. need to see in real world to decide tho.
7. autopilot safety (hopefully hyundais system is better). autopilot isnt the best autonomous driving system out there, regardless of what the tesla fanboys tell themselves. gm supercruise, ford bluecruise, nissan propilot 2.0, lucid dreamdrive, rivian driver plus, toyota teammate are all better and safer systems than tesla autopilot. hopefully ioniq 5 doesnt have the terribly thought out steering detection like tesla does, and if you try to take control from it by steering, it doesnt require too much force so that you lose control of the car and fishtail. i have the fsd package and i regret buying it on my model 3.

the only benefit tesla really has over the ioniq 5 is the charging network (for reliability mainly, not charging speeds since electrify america has 350kw chargers now) and the infotainment system. but the things ioniq 5 offer as i listed above outweigh what the tesla offers, at least in my opinion. theres probably more things that i didnt remember, but these are the big ones for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You do not have to owe money beyond what you have paid to get the credit. Think of this as your first payment. Your refund will go up by the $7,500. :D
Thanks! This one has me so confused as I’ve read this positioned both ways by supposed reliable news sources. I appreciate the personal experience sharing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I started the point on the US Tax advantage as one that the Hyundai I5 has versus the Tesla Y. When I compare the prices, I consider I will get $7,500 credit on the I5 but not on the Y. I realize for you it has no relevance - sorry. Unfortunately we still have no idea what the price will be in the US or what options will actually be included.
Your original comment was appropriate 👍. It was the rabbit hole the subsequent posters were disappearing down that was annoying me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks! This one has me so confused as I’ve read this positioned both ways by supposed reliable news sources. I appreciate the personal experience sharing.
Ditto. Thanks for the first-hand report. Trying to decipher anything tax related makes me cringe, so this is good news.

As far as Model Y vs. Ioniq 5, for me it comes down to:

• Tax credit (cheaper)
  • Design. Not a huge fan of Model Y exterior (looks like a bloated model 3) and I don't like the single tablet interface for everything.
  • Build quality. I test drove a Model Y with maybe 10k miles and it had a number of squeaks and rattles already. Unacceptable in a 50k car.
  • No radar (funnynardo mentioned this too!). IMO the recent removal of radar from the M3/MY was one of the biggest BS moves yet made by Tesla and Elon. As an engineer, I know that vision is not wholly adequate for rain/fog/reduced visibility situations where radar may save your life. It's telling that this was a cost cutting measure since you can still get them in Model S and X. I don't even care about "full self driving", I just need an adaptive cruise control with lane assist that won't murder me or my family.

As many have already pointed out, Tesla's strength is in its charging network. Other benefits of Model Y vs. Ioniq 5 would be speed (more horsepower) and storage space (bigger hatch/frunk). As far as power, I think the AWD Ioniq will be quick enough for me, and storage space should be workable even with 2 kids. My wife and I both abhor large SUVs so the Ioniq should be a nice middle ground there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with funnymardo and rogu3. But in addition to the Tesla charging system, their intergration of the charging locations into the navagation system is great. I hope Hyundai/Kia is able to match this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
While I'm on my Tesla rant (lolz), I find it hilarious that they're building this massive GPU based supercomputer as a means to "solve" FSD. Seems to be the trend these days - throw machine learning at it and see if it sticks. The problem is that you need tons of detailed, accurate training data, which is very difficult when you have a problem space like driving and your source is a few crappy 1280x960 CMOS image sensors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
While I'm on my Tesla rant (lolz), I find it hilarious that they're building this massive GPU based supercomputer as a means to "solve" FSD. Seems to be the trend these days - throw machine learning at it and see if it sticks. The problem is that you need tons of detailed, accurate training data, which is very difficult when you have a problem space like driving and your source is a few crappy 1280x960 CMOS image sensors.
exactly. there is also not much redundancy in terms of hardware also. most companies doing any form of advanced level 2 and 3 driving have a front facing radar (standard on almost every single car now anyways), and the four corner radars. if there is a lot of fog, or it is raining or snowing, cameras will have reduced visibility, whereas radars can see through these things with relative ease. it is especially concerning when tesla removes the front facing radar when it is almost mandatory for all the front collision avoidance and detection systems. lucid for example has not only the five radars, but also more cameras and even a lidar, and so far they are only targeting level 3 driving at most, while tesla on the other hand is doing pure camera driving with even less cameras than lucid and rivian, but is targeting level 5. it makes no sense really, and pure camera is going to be really hard to do, especially when there is no other hardware supplementing it. and the tesla camera setup does have some blind spots too...

Reactions: rogu3

·
Registered
165 Posts
exactly. there is also not much redundancy in terms of hardware also. most companies doing any form of advanced level 2 and 3 driving have a front facing radar (standard on almost every single car now anyways), and the four corner radars. if there is a lot of fog, or it is raining or snowing, cameras will have reduced visibility, whereas radars can see through these things with relative ease. it is especially concerning when tesla removes the front facing radar when it is almost mandatory for all the front collision avoidance and detection systems. lucid for example has not only the five radars, but also more cameras and even a lidar, and so far they are only targeting level 3 driving at most, while tesla on the other hand is doing pure camera driving with even less cameras than lucid and rivian, but is targeting level 5. it makes no sense really, and pure camera is going to be really hard to do, especially when there is no other hardware supplementing it. and the tesla camera setup does have some blind spots too...
But Elon says humans do it with only two eyes. :mad:

·
Registered
35 Posts
But Elon says humans do it with only two eyes. :mad:
he is correct, but only in theory. in the end, it is still humans programming the cameras, humans writing the software, humans making the cameras. the computer can only do so much. and our eyes have a far higher resolution than any camera in any car right now.
i have been a tesla supporter since 2012, when the original model s came out. but over the past few months i have been watching tesla and their stupid decisions on the autonomous driving and safety front, and i completely lost interest in their products. their customer service has also gone to waste since 2019. hopefully lucid doesnt turn into tesla, and i will hopefully be able to afford their cars one day. for now, the ioniq 5 is the best ev i can afford, so that is what i am getting.

Reactions: woods and rogu3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not a direct comparison, but Autoevolution just reported that an VW ID4 had a longer range than the Tesla Model 3 (Link below). The WLTP rating for the ID4 is 480 km. I was not able to find the WLTP rating for the Ioniq 5. I you have it, please post. Of course the Model y has less range than the Model 3.

·
Registered
197 Posts
IONIQ 5 according to Insideevs:
73 kWh battery WLTP range of 550 km (342 miles)
58 kWh battery WLTP range of 450 km (280 miles)

[edit: that’s European WLTP, US figures probably around 5-10% less, although US has bigger battery]

21 - 40 of 61 Posts