Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Ioniq is going to be offered as a hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and a pure EV.

The hybrid is powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 105 horsepower and a small electric motor that produces 44 horsepower. Together the two engines send 141 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque to the front wheels via a six-speed dual clutch automatic transmission.

The plug-in hybrid model has the same combination of 4-cylinder engine and six-speed dual-clutch transmission setup. It also has a 61 horsepower motor and a bigger lithium-ion-polymer battery pack. It can consequently drive on electricity alone for about 31 miles before the engine kicks in.

The electric Ioniq has an electric motor that uses electricity stored in a 28-kWh lithium-ion-polymer battery pack to zap the front wheels with 120 horsepower and 218 lb-ft of instant torque via a single-speed reducer transmission. That all works out to a range of 155 miles and a top speed of 103 mph. Cosmetically, this model stands out from the others with a special front fascia.

·
Registered
323 Posts
31 miles on just pure electric power is great since for most people using this to commute to the office and back, they shouldn't be going beyond that. Plus more and more parking lots have chargers or somewhere you can plug in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true. 31 miles should be enough for most daily trips. Not sure about these charging stations. i don't see them, at least not within the city of Toronto.

What do you guys think of the front end of the Ioniq in the center example in the picture above?

·
Registered
176 Posts
What do you guys think of the front end of the Ioniq in the center example in the picture above?
Uhh ... disappointing.
I'm willing to hold my opinion until I see one in person. but the picture does not thrill me. Whereas, I really like the front end of the hybrid version, but there is no need for a radiator in the EV. I just think they could have found a better solution. We shall see,

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it's ugly but that might be a good thing since it helps them to have a car that stands out which in this segment seem to be a requirement for some car makers. So considering that... it looks 'great'

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had this discussion on PriusChat .... and lost. But it didn't change my mind.

I don't particularly need (or want) a "car that stands out." Painting it a garish color would make it "stand out." I was quoted dictionary definitions of "stand out" and like I say .... I lost. Maybe it depends on where you were raised, but "stand out" to be is like someone whose ears are too large, or talks to loudly, or whose pants are too short ..... you get the idea.

What I want is an "outstanding" vehicle ..... meaning outstanding performance, comfort, value, appearance, fuel efficiency, comfort and all the other descriptors.

(Just my rambling)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its a good thing for design to eliminate the grille when it serves no purpose. How Hyundai did it here wasn't great though. That silvery covering just look strange in relation to the rest of the vehicle. I think that a gloss black would have looked better. That could have tied the front of the vehicle in better with what's going on at the back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
as much as we won't want these to stand out, i bet Hyundai does and surely we're going to see some design videos where they talk about it, things that make it 'look' like a hybrid and creates a feeling. Only a matter of time now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why don't we want them to stand out? The hybrids will be competitive in the market and the only model standing out in a negative way is the EV.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some people don't want their cars to stand out and attract attention like how some do, just screaming out what they are. Standing out is not a bad thing or a good thing, just depends on who you ask.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some people don't want their cars to stand out and attract attention like how some do, just screaming out what they are. Standing out is not a bad thing or a good thing, just depends on who you ask.
But I think that too many hybrids and EVs feel the need to look like a hybrid or EV. It's okay to just look like a car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well that varies from car maker to car makers. I can imagine there are many up side and downsides to going the whole very obvious green car look and then a look where you're surprised to find out it is a hybrid or EV.

Just have to go for whatever is inline with what you require of a car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Even from just observing what brands have been doing with their designs for a while now compared to others shows this. Mercedes is a good example of one that doesn't get all tacky as Hyundai does although they aren't competitors (except for the genesis sedan) but its just an example of the difference in design.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But does Mercedes even make that many EVs?

Maybe that is a reason why companies make their EVs stand out. They want it known that they make hybrids or EVs. The best ads for companies is their products being seen around being used by customers. If you can't see that it is an EV from the design, you don't get that impression that makes you realize the company makes EVs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
They had concepts of the AMG GT and B-Series and those are basically production models, nothing special going on with design, only difference is color and i imagine once looking at all the color options there will be some normal Mercedes colors. Plus it has to fit the profile of what you expect in a Mercedes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts