Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2019 Ioniq a month ago, the Blade-key separated from the Fob twice while in the dealer's showroom doing the paperwork! Then again at home late that night. Silly bit of design, making it so easy to accidentally lose the expensive electronic bit needed to make life comfortable. But I like a challenge, so I've designed, and now can sell to anyone that wants one, a cheap fix for this problem. Here's a pic:

These are now on eBay, see here: Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss Preventer Guard Protector | eBay
and the original chat about this, plus more pics info, is here:
Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss...

Reactions: Steve_W

·
Read Only
766 Posts
When I bought my 2019 Ioniq a month ago, the Blade-key separated from the Fob twice while in the dealer's showroom doing the paperwork! Then again at home late that night. Silly bit of design, making it so easy to accidentally lose the expensive electronic bit needed to make life comfortable. But I like a challenge, so I've designed, and now can sell to anyone that wants one, a cheap fix for this problem. Here's a pic:
View attachment 32933

These are now on eBay, see here: Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss Preventer Guard Protector | eBay
That is interesting. I have never had my key come out of my fob. Possibly yours has a slight defect in it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's likely that both fobs were side-by-side on the small key ring the dealer had, and that putting the ring in my pocket turned these 2 fobs into a Christmas nut-cracker, levering one of the pins down. I have a lot of keys on my main keyring, so do not want to risk it! Your choice now if you also want to live with the (small, but possibly rather costly) risk!

I've just put them back together on the same ring, and it's actually quite easy to do this, no force needed to squash the pins. Both pins feel the same, no fault in them I'm sure. It makes a reversible nut-cracker, I can arrange it with the metal tag in between or not, both arrangements get the key unclipped very easily.

You know you'ld feel safer with a couple of these, don't you? Besides, they would make a nice little Christmas-Stocking filler for someone? ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2019 keys don't come out without a really hard press on the release button?
I've measured the force on mine needed to press the pin, by pressing down on a small electronic scale I use to measure the weight of letters & parcels in grams. Both pins need a weight of around 450 grams to press them down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had the key separate from the fob quite a few times when in my pocket, in fact it did it last night while I was clearing snow off the car. Got into the house and pulled the key out only to find the blade section half way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 32933

Hi Andy
As we speak I have just fitted a couple of the guards to my keys and looks like this has done the job.
Thanks again
PS. Patent it, before Hyundai does!!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice idea, but would cost me far more in fees than I'd ever recover selling these! And the legal costs of defending a case would cripple me! :)

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
50 Posts
And for a by-ine-----I bought a leather key fob with a snap and ring fitting and a leather belt loop{so I can hang the whole bit on my belt and not loose it 'somewhere over the rainbow'. The stock fob thingy slides into it; and the 'button' to release the 'real key' sits just below the leather. You would need a toothpick to push the 'button' with this leather cover on. This, to me, looks better, and works better- its all smooth and of a neat appearance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My key kept separating. When I read of HandyAndy's device, I bought a pair, for our two keys. The are excellent: unobtrusive; don't catch on things; and best of all: they work!
I'm most grateful to him I recommend them unreservedly.
Cymro

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
There were a number of complaints of detached key fobs the first couple years of this forum. They dwindled away and I assumed the spring tension is now higher. Still, bad protruding design as shown by your pictures. The Kia one requires a fingernail press of the button to below the fob's surface. The Hyundai button is user friendly if you want to detach your fob - I do just that every time I go to the health club. But for most users, I would guess they only want it detached for emergency door open when the 12 volt system is dead.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Do you get 2 of those for £5 + postage? Mind you, I charge postage to USA from UK at £4.50. And there's probably some state tax added on for all I know... :( and postage can be rather slow these days ... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts