Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quickie.

when the engine transfers from EV to petrol, is it meant to be fairly loud when cold/vibraty?

hard to explain but is it meant to be a silence transfer or not?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
725 Posts
Never noticed it on the test drive it has to be said.....but it does say in the manual gear changes can be a bit noisy in the first 1000 miles as the computer "learns" the car

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never noticed it on the test drive it has to be said.....but it does say in the manual gear changes can be a bit noisy in the first 1000 miles as the computer "learns" the car
no neither nor when driving it, just when sitting still in the drive i was fiddling with the buttons, getting the hang of things, then the engine kicked in and was a bit noisy on tickover (still staying still in the drive)

·
Registered
725 Posts
no neither nor when driving it, just when sitting still in the drive i was fiddling with the buttons, getting the hang of things, then the engine kicked in and was a bit noisy on tickover (still staying still in the drive)
I will let you know how mine is tomorrow once I got it. Can always compare side by side if it seems a problem as we are only a few miles apart....I did reply to your other thread btw...how did you get the free paint/mats? is it an offer they have on? I have a vague recollection of it but had the kids playing up at the time

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will let you know how mine is tomorrow once I got it. Can always compare side by side if it seems a problem as we are only a few miles apart....I did reply to your other thread btw...how did you get the free paint/mats? is it an offer they have on? I have a vague recollection of it but had the kids playing up at the time
yeah that's a good shout, and i only got it by asking if i had fuel and mats or not and got told i had the package that was all, didn't really know it was not standard until i looked on here

·
Registered
725 Posts
yeah that's a good shout, and i only got it by asking if i had fuel and mats or not and got told i had the package that was all, didn't really know it was not standard until i looked on here
I have a recollection they had a sign on the desks about it being free on new cars so will be double checking tomorrow cheers!!!

Will let you know if I find mine noisy or not and we can def compare if you want.....cant wait to get mine tomorrow :). Busy copying music onto my USB stick as I type :).

I did send you a PM btw

·
Registered
101 Posts
when the engine transfers from EV to petrol, is it meant to be fairly loud when cold/vibraty?
I only have noticed this a couple of times when idle after inital start. I want to say both times it was when I was waiting longer than I normally do in the driveway after starting up.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The engine will start if the battery is low, or if you are asking for heat. Both can happen just sitting in the driveway. While I'm not sure about the Ioniq, often a motor running at idle while cold will run rough. Still might be rough when cold but not as noticeable if it kicks in while driving versus sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
first morning start for me today and engine came on instantly and did sound a bit rough also. i think it was about 6°C outside today, and i think the climate was set at 20 when it came on. but first time i heard it go straight to petrol

·
Registered
384 Posts
The battery needs to be hot to operate efficiently, and the way to heat it up is to charge it up. So, even if the state of charge is already high, the engine will charge the cold battery until it reaches efficient temperature. So when the car is cold and idle, the engine should be noisier than on a non-hybrid car running idle. That is because the Ioniq's engine is not idling, which would be a waste of fuel. It is running at optimum speed to charge the battery with minimum fuel consumption, and a petrol engine's optimum speed is fairly high speed.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
There's been a roar from mine a couple of times when I've got up to my 15mph road speed a couple of times :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My engine sound is not loud but noticeable, which I prefer. The engine sounds more like a "typical" car than a hybrid. Overall it is extremely quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine seems to be a bit loud, from time to time, when it kicked-in while in low speed (between 10-30 Km/h) with moderate to high acceleration.
Guess this is because the engine suddenly revs up in low gear to match the acceleration rate.
If you accelerate in a gentle manner, I would say the volume is normal.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Mine seems to be a bit loud, from time to time, when it kicked-in while in low speed (between 10-30 Km/h) with moderate to high acceleration.
Guess this is because the engine suddenly revs up in low gear to match the acceleration rate.
If you accelerate in a gentle manner, I would say the volume is normal.
It is a bit loud at times...remember its a GDI too so will vary the injection point to balance power vs efficiency...like others have said I think its more an issue of being so quiet normally!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yes, it does seem to vary in noticeability.

Mind you at 6,000 rpm in Sport Mode it does make a unique `smooooooth growl` (©SEvans 2017) and it does actually get quieter at the very top of the rpm (wind noise or some kind of ECU function, I wonder?).

Private owners need not attempt to replicate this. (Max welly, foot to the floor climbing the hills out of Barnstaple on the staggered overtaking lanes, absolutely flat out in 32 degree temps yesterday) >:)

Before anyone asks, STILL averaging 65.4 mpg for the 302-mile round trip, starting from cumulative 64.7mpg. Now at 12,437 miles and currently at 65.9 mpg.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Mind you at 6,000 rpm in Sport Mode it does make a unique `smooooooth growl` (©SEvans 2017) and it does actually get quieter at the very top of the rpm (wind noise or some kind of ECU function, I wonder?).

Private owners need not attempt to replicate this. (Max welly, foot to the floor climbing the hills out of Barnstaple on the staggered overtaking lanes, absolutely flat out in 32 degree temps yesterday) >:)

Before anyone asks, STILL averaging 65.4 mpg for the 302-mile round trip, starting from cumulative 64.7mpg. Now at 12,437 miles and currently at 65.9 mpg.
That North Devon link road does require some serious welly at times! They should have built it dual carriageway rather than penny pinching.

Well done on that MPG. Blasts a diesel away on range, cost, noise and pollution.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

Mind you at 6,000 rpm in Sport Mode it does make a unique `smooooooth growl` (©SEvans 2017)
...snip

how do you get it up to 6000rpm, no matter what I have done in mine it changes up at 5200rpm, (sport mode or sport mode with manually changing up)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
...snip

how do you get it up to 6000rpm, no matter what I have done in mine it changes up at 5200rpm, (sport mode or sport mode with manually changing up)
It was auto sport mode, but it was a steep hill and bloody hot, and I kept my foot pinned to the floor (not the first stage kickdown) so probably a unique combination of features - certainly never noticed it going that high before.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts