Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all known the Toyota Prius to be the hybrid car with it's unique look.

What I like about the Ioniq is that it doesn't come off to me as a hybrid or electric car appearance. The techonology is so discrete that this care (to me) looks like a standard gasoline car. :eek:

I like that fact that they be available in three different versions: a hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and a fully electric model. More variety for the car, compared to the Prius.

I'm just waiting for the price to be released with the Ioniq.

Toyota Prius is trying to step up their game:

I acutally like this color and design, compared to the previous models:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ioniq6 - I am sure that you know, but for those that might not, that is a picture of the Prius Prime. It was recently announced, and will be the new plug-in Prius. Toyota chose to give it a different look from the brand new Prius that only recently came on the market. If I recall correctly, the Prime will be released for sale about the same time as the Ioniq.

The new Prius completely turned me off, but the Prime has rekindled a little interest. Come fall, I will be looking closely at both the Prime and the Ioniq. I wish Hyundai had given the Ioniq just a little more range and performance. Plus, I am concerned about the head room in the rear seat. We shall see.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The rear has a similar slope to coupes and they're not known for generous rear headroom. The Prime prototype does look nicer than the outgoing Prius but that's teh concept and if Toyota decides to water the design down to look like the current Prius, I can't see myself owning one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The way that the windows are designed is really cool. It is one of the best examples of a floating roof I've seen so far.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We may soon see how the two models compare in a drag race. Just found this on a Korean blogger's Instagram page. It's the Ioniq and the Prius in a drag race and that was posted 10 hours ago. Not sure when or if he plans to upload the video.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dart - I agree with you that the Prius Prime looks more aggressive. But I am reminded of a F-104 Starfighter.

While I agree it is aggressive, and I like it a heck of a lot better than the standard Prius, I do not find it attractive. I really like the front of the Ioniq better. (I am a conservative politically and in my taste in automobiles)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both the 2016 and 2017 Prius are ugly.
Here's a better view of the Prius Prime's bumper and the piece of black plastic covering part of the grille makes it look cheap.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ju Yung - I completely agree. While the grille is not attractive, at least Toyota realized the head and tail lights on the standard Prius are absolutely hideous. Maybe Toyota realized they made a terrible mistake, and corrected them on the Prime.

IMHO, it appears disjointed, almost like different people designed the front, rear and side. Over on PriusChat, several people had expressed an opinion the new Prius looks "sporty." I just don't see "sporty" in the design .... I guess I am too old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
People were pretty vocal about the Prius' new look so I'm sure Toyota regrets it a bit.

The headlights are great and the vertical LED lights are fine too so they should keep that. Maybe extend the pinched metal look to extend from the front all the way to the back instead of having it end halfway and remove that plastic grille cover.

Everything would probably flow a bit better that way.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well that depends on how you look at it and how they look at it. Not all 'ugly' styling is bad, sometimes you have to do certain things to make a statement and create your own lane, I can sort of see how Toyota has done that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I suppose that is one way to look at it ..... but the consumer ultimately decides if the "statement" is something they want parked in their garage. In my case, it completely turned me off (I was a 6 years owner of a Prius). That is why I am considering an Ioniq. But for those that like the Prius "lane," go for it.

If the new Prius looked like the Ioniq, but with all the great features of the new Prius, I would own one right now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ugly or not, Toyota's Prius seems to be popular since they recently hit nine million hybrid and plug-in hybrid cars sold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts