Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the amount I commute on a daily basis, a hybrid or all electric car seems to be the best solution to my gas bills but I'm on the fence between the plug in hybrid or the all electric Hyundai IONIQ.

I have a bit of anxiety regarding range. My work place has a charging station in the parking lot but I have to make it there first in hot or cold weather. We'll see I suppose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I understand your plight. I currently drive a hybrid, and will never own another non-hybrid. I am interested in the all-electric, but somewhere I read it will not be available until the 3rd quarter, and Hyundai has said very little about it, regarding range, cost, or engineering features.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm willing to wait for the all electric model. May as well since that's what I originally want and there's no point in getting a hybrid and then shortly switching to electric.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ionic - That is my feeling as well.

Hyundai has been pretty good at coming forth with the video's. But they are in Korean, and not understandable. If Hyundai wants to really get potential buyers excited about their future product, and put off another purchase and wait for the Ioniq, they need to give us information we can understand.

200 mile EV sounds fantastic. But is that wishful thinking? Size of the battery? Cost?
Best highway MPG. Great. How much? And does that mean city mpg is the worst?
Interior dimensions - the rear headroom looks very low. What about leg room?
Again, what is the man pointing out on the front grille? Shudders?

The Ioniq is being scrutinized on PriusChat, but not especially favorably. I suspect there is just too many unknowns, and contributors are filling in the blanks with guesses, that do not compare well with the new Prius.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm actually beginning to think that the hydrogen fuel cell vehicles re the future. Electricity still must be produced and is therefore only as environmentally friendly as the means of production. I'm not sure how hydrogen is collected, but I would guess a chemical reaction with water could collect it. Hydrogen wouldn't be putting extra weight on the electricity grid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hydrogen is not derived from only water and most of America's hydrogen fuel is made using natural gas steam reformation. Another method is running electricity through the water to separate H2O into oxygen and hydrogen but this is less common. Something has to generate the electricity or steam and that's usually fossil fuel. Once made, hydrogen has to be cooled and stored which uses even more fossil fuel energy.

Hydrogen is great but we just stink at producing it and until we can streamline the process to require less or no fossil fuels, electricity is the way to go.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Basically, there will always be cleaner ways, but unfortunately in that process we have to use dirty ways while we work to phase away from them, slow by steady process.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Those that want cleaner design on cheap mainstream models are doomed, some high end brands are good with keeping a clean and classy look. Mercedes is one of them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It will.

I won't mind, design only accounts for a small part for me anyways, as long as all the other boxes check out i'll be happy enough.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
hi all,

just found this forum via google, hoping to get a ioniq when released here in the UK

trying to find information on UK specs and prices, dealers said they should start getting some info about june july, so my current i20 is due a service mid july so see if I can get more info then

·
Registered
344 Posts
It would be great if you could find some more info on the UK specs/prices and share it with the forum ! I'm sure we have other people from the UK on here as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
It would be great if you could find some more info on the UK specs/prices and share it with the forum ! I'm sure we have other people from the UK on here as well.
I have a conversation on hyundaiuk twitter channel about this

they keep saying "keep watching etc" so I said I was bored of wating

so now waiting to see if I get a fob off, or some information will come back

I am at goodwood festival speed this thursday, I think the prius 4 is in the moving motor show on Thursday so may try and get a drive of it so I have something to compare to the ioniq when it is finally released

1 - 16 of 16 Posts