Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase the ionic premium SE hybrid in March but seeing the BBC news this morning about high rate of catalytic converter theft on hybrids, particularly the Toyota Prius hybrid makes me think should I be reconsidering my purchase.
Does anyone know if the ionic is anymore vulnerable to this kind of theft than any other vehicle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a WCC (next to engine and hard to get to) and a UCC just behind the front sub frame. So I guess it boils down to the area you live in,, and if there is an abundance of the scumbags doing this sort of thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
My nephew had the cat nicked off his van ( not a hybrid ) in Tesco's Car Park so I'm not unduly concerned

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a WCC (next to engine and hard to get to) and a UCC just behind the front sub frame. So I guess it boils down to the area you live in,, and if there is an abundance of the scumbags doing this sort of thing.
Thank you for the information, my assumption from this is that it’s easier to get at the Cat on the Toyota than the ionic and that’s why they are the choice of these low life’s as they have easier access the part making it a quick process.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The older Cats have proportionately more high value metal content so they are the targets. The thieves can get one off a Prius in a couple of minutes max; they are doing it in people's driveways! There is an anomaly in UK law apparently( so I have read) that allows scrap metal dealers not to have to document purchases of Cats in the same way as for just metal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toyotas have such a problem the dealers are now selling a Cat lock which they fit from £195+VAT depending on model of car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts