Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I recieved my Ioniq earlier this week. Done about 800 km already. Great car.
One thing bothers me, the hybrid battery gauge usually shows about half charge, 2/3 at most. It never fully charges. Is it the way it's supposed to be? Is the EV part performing as it should with only half charge?

Appreciate your feedback..

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
That's pretty much same as mine , drops to a couple of bars but is never more than a couple of bars from full . 3000 miles without problems so I'm assuming it's normal

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's what ensures the longevity of your hybrid's battery. Fully charged or extremely low charged batteries can be damaging.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, keeps it in the sweet spot in the 20%-80% range of capacity

on flat motorway you will see it flip to EV 1 bar before the top 1/3 then drop back to ICE 1 bar before bottom third

in 9000 miles I have not seen more than 2 bars in top third, or less than 5 bars in bottom third, 99% of the time it sits somewhere in the middle third

·
Registered
1 Posts
The hybrid battery gauge ... never fully charges. Is it the way it's supposed to be?
Dima - thanks for your post as my new Ioniq Hybrid is doing the same thing and I was concerned I had a bad battery or charging system.

Seeing several comments on the web, similar to yours, it appears this is just the way things are. My dealer had no clue, and when I go in for my 1st service visit I will be asking the service dept about this. I'll report the answers back here on the forum. :|

So far, I have never noticed more than a 50% charge level.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You may deliberately charge the battery until high state of charge by driving the car gently or downhill in Sports mode. However it is advisable not to exceed 2/3 SoC too frequently, because moderate SoC protects the battery over the long run.

When I know I will have a long or steep downhill followed by a long or steep uphill, I use the Sports mode to finish the downhill with 2/3 SoC.

But in the end, the battery's power is meant to be used anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Battery 100%

yep, keeps it in the sweet spot in the 20%-80% range of capacity

on flat motorway you will see it flip to EV 1 bar before the top 1/3 then drop back to ICE 1 bar before bottom third

in 9000 miles I have not seen more than 2 bars in top third, or less than 5 bars in bottom third, 99% of the time it sits somewhere in the middle third
This weekend I made my first long journey, actually we have not finished our journey yet.
I was on Transfagarasan at 2000 m altitude.
Beyond the beautifull views, on the descent I had the surprise to notice that the hybrid battery was charged 100%

However it is advisable not to exceed 2/3 SoC too frequently, because moderate SoC protects the battery over the long run
Is it good or not that the battery has reached 100%?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
It's neither good nor bad, it's just the way it is when on extended downhill runs and the regeneration system working. As Martin says all it means is you can't store any more battery energy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts