Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed briefly in other threads but I thought it would be useful to start a separate thread on this subject as it seems a very important driving factor for the Ioniq Hybrid.

Currently when the car is moved from a standstill in EV mode, one of the two main scenarios may occur:

1. Start in EV, Accelerate slowly in EV to reach up to city speed limit (30mph)
2. Start in EV, Accelerate at normal or fast pace, ICE will kick in and help reach city speed limit (30mph) quickly

Now the thing I and some others have pointed out is that for Scenario 1 above, you really have to accelerate very slowly indeed. When moving of a junction/red light, this means a small queue of traffic behind you. As soon as you try and push for bit more acceleration (basic not racing types), the ICE kicks in (till you reach cruising speed when it flips back into EV).

This behaviour makes me think what really is the correct way of driving the car. Is one supposed to accelerate so slowly in EV each time or let the ICE kick in during acceleration?

Looking at all Hyundai adverts, website, etc show ICE or ICE + EV during acceleration and pure EV use during city cruising speeds and probably basic stop/start crawl in traffic.

I appreciate the car can be driven either way as per needs but it would be really good to know how the Ioniq Hybrid is meant to be driven for acceleration from standstill. Also would be good to know if anyone has noticed a different behaviour in pure EV acceleration / speeds when properly warmed up.

All comments/feedback welcome.... :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is no one way it is meant to be driven. You are given 3 driving modes: sport, normal & eco. You can set the mode you want and step on the gas pedal as hard as you want. Want to save energy? Eco mode & start slowly. Want to jump up to speed? Set sport mode and stomp on the pedal. Anything in between is a viable option, too. It is meant to be driven the way you want to drive it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How do I want to drive it? I want to save energy & get up to speed quickly... which is why I'm getting the Electric ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I think it's a case of traffic conditions . When it's quiet I tend to get up to road speed in EV if possible . If it's busy accelerate normally get up to road speed as quickly as possible and let EV take over . From the manual
"Start driving at moderate engine
speeds. (Steep accelerating and
decelerating should be avoided.) "

·
Registered
384 Posts
It seems almost impossible to accelerate to 50 km/h in EV mode without a downhill slope to help, so I've given up. I enjoy the torque of the motor anyway, including when the ICE kicks in. The hybrid accelarates very quickly from 0 to 50 km/h. (And then very slowly from 50 km/h to 100 km/h).

In Sport mode one can get to 50 km/h under 3,1s. Of course I didn't buy a Ioniq for that, and I don't do this at each trafic light but still, I don't mind having that torque available under my right foot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think about it at all. Just accelerate as needed/wanted. When the car is warm and has enough juice in the battery, it will sometimes take-off in electric mode, even if i'm not trying. Mostly it accelerates in hybrid-mode, but the car decides what to do. Just drive smooth and let the car do the job to get the mileage.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't think about it at all. Just accelerate as needed/wanted. When the car is warm and has enough juice in the battery, it will sometimes take-off in electric mode, even if i'm not trying. Mostly it accelerates in hybrid-mode, but the car decides what to do. Just drive smooth and let the car do the job to get the mileage.
I would have to agree with all of that and do find depending on temperature/charge it will use the battery more or less accordingly as it sees fit/knows best!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I treat it as a bit of game and try to stay in EV mode as long as possible. I have a sense of achievement if I can for a long time. I would love to have the Electric model but until they develop a battery that will travel at least 300 miles I'll make do with my Hybrid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually here's the latest update from my side:

Driving back from work last evening the car decided to stay in ICE mode for longer than usual (first couple of miles inner roads) and just as I was joining the motorway (downward ramp), the car switched to EV. From there, it kept on in EV mode even till speeds reached as high as 40-50 mph and stayed in EV constant at 50mph for some time.

After couple of stops at the junctions when off the motorway, also noticed the acceleration in EV mode felt better and the car wanted to stay more in the EV mode.

So my summary is that the EV mode behaviour changes considerably (for the better) when the car is better warmed up.

PS: Also briefly tried the sport mode joining the motorway this morning and the car really opens up, feels aggressive and does get a real move on as compared to Eco mode.

Liking it more by the day...... :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Haha ya.. you noticed that did you. Lol

I was tempted to get the app the other night but thought this could prove to show me things I don't want to know.. still haven't ever got more than 57mpg.. I keep trying and failing >.<

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Haha ya.. you noticed that did you. Lol

I was tempted to get the app the other night but thought this could prove to show me things I don't want to know.. still haven't ever got more than 57mpg.. I keep trying and failing >.<
you need to take that 2 pound of lead out your right boot :) :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts