Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ioniq is the worst electric car ever made. Hyundai is really best at making sure that their customer experience the worst service ever. I am first time and last time owner for hyundai i will also share my experience with friends and family. How careless hyundai is for their customer. I bought my Hyundai ioniq in November 2019 it had issue battery dying issue within first month. It was holiday time really freezing cold outside with family and in the off middle of the road car dies with 90% left. Car will not turn at all doors wouldn't get unlock, Heat will not turn on. Basically, Car was totally dead so everyone had to freeze in the cold. After the battery was replace with only 2200 miles on the car within a month of fixing the problem it occurs again. Just after 5 days of fixing the battery issues same problem occurs again.
The Most disappointing thing it keep breaking every few weeks and hyundai will not bother to provide a loaner car. Hyundai is not willing to understand the problem faced by their customer to get the car to dealership. Hyundai will do not understand about waiting in freezing cold temperature without the heat until you get help.
When you call Hyundai Customer service they will just keep transferring it to different department which states that no one wants to take responsibility.
Hyundai's slogan should be " ONCE YOU BUY A CAR FROM HYUNDAI YOU ARE SCREWED; WE DO NOT OFFER ANY KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE AFTER CAR IS BOUGHT ''

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,793 Posts
Hi @kpatel

Sorry to hear about your problematic experience with the Ioniq and Hyundai in general. All I can say is such an experience tends to be the exception, rather than the rule.

There are definitely Hyundai dealerships out there that do not care about their customers and others that do.

Getting results from customer service can often boil down to attitude. When faced with a problem that has caused great inconvenience, it can be easy to go in with a hostile attitude due to being understandably upset at being put out by a car that is failing. But when confronted by hostility, it's just as easy to respond in turn with further hostility, and if service reps know a customer is irate they may be less willing to help get things sorted. I'll admit I've fallen into the hostility trap myself and have been both the agressor and recipient who in turn responds with agression. And there are dealerships and customer service reps out there who actually do go out of their way to make sure customers are inconvenienced as much as possible and probably should not be doing a job where they have to interact with customers (I've encountered plenty of these, too).

Anyhow, sorry for the morality rant (not intended to sound preachy), but it's important to realise that your poor experience is not reflective of the majority and, only if really want to, think about why that might be, particularly when posting such a rant on a forum dedicated to supporting and talking about the very car and brand you are dissing. Our past experiences will always lead to prejudices towards certain cars or brands. But ultimately, with so much choice out there, these companies must be doing something right in the big picture, or they would have no customers at all.

I've been driving Hyundais for over 20 years. Have had a few problems here and there with the Hyundais I've owned, but they were rectified and overall, I've had a positive experience with the brand. By that token I've had negative experiences with GM, Ford and Kia, but I know others who have had positive experiences with those brands, so more power to them.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your Hyundai Ioniq. I hope you do find a car that works for you, even if it's not an Ioniq or even a Hyundai. Thank God we're all different!

Take care and all the best!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Car will not turn at all doors wouldn't get unlock, Heat will not turn on. Basically, Car was totally dead so everyone had to freeze in the cold. After the battery was replace with only 2200 miles on the car within a month of fixing the problem it occurs again. Just after 5 days of fixing the battery issues same problem occurs again.
Are you referring to the 12v DC battery failing rather than the main traction battery?

If so then this is a well-documented problem with almost all EVs. This isn't the 12v battery failing at all. It's the car systems failing to top it up properly. There have been many dozens of forum threads on this subject over the years. If the system fails to top the 12v battery up causing it to show a very low voltage over multiple drive sessions then eventually the 12v DC battery is killed. Dealers spot that dead battery and simply replace it without diagnosing what has caused the problem in the first place. Naturally, a replacement 12v battery will then also fail because the fault is still there. This pattern continues and is frustrating to both the car owner and the dealer.

There is some elusive glitch in the EV systems where topping up the 12v battery from a DC to DC converter sometimes fails and allows it to discharge. Quite common. My own Leaf 24 did that twice within a few weeks from new back in 2016. I solved it by fitting a 12v meter in the 'cigarette lighter socket' and keeping a wary eye on the level of charge. And also bought a 'Smart' battery charger with a conditioning feature. I used that once per month for 12 hours overnight whether it seemed to need it or not. The conditioning aspect was what was needed and that only kicked in after many hours of a trickle charge. I had no further problems for the rest of the three year contract period. But this didn't cure the problem. Just kept a lid on it.

I would go to the dealer and tell them to research this DC to DC charging problem. And change whatever control module is causing this repeated failure. Changing the 12v battery will definitely not solve the issue until that is done. Because it isn't a 12v DC battery problem at all. It's a charging system failure within the DC to DC unit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
One more thing further to the post above. There is a known problem with the IONIQ's key fob. If the fob is left near the vehicle when parked, it can drain the 12V battery. Perhaps not enough to stop a start the next morning, but continual deep cycles are very bad for lead acid batteries and if that is the case, the battery will fail and as experienced, the car is next to useless without the 12V system up and running - as are most vehicles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome aboard @kpatel.

It's too bad about your unfortunate experience(s), hopefully you will benefit from the insights & support of our forum members like those above that may help you to truly identify and resolve your battery issues.

Wishing you success and happy motoring!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This was my first Hyundai purchase as well, and a reluctant one at that, simply due to my own personal opinion of the brand plus words of advice from friends who are mechanics.

I had a major failure last year (motor died). Just like @ds093 suggested, I went to the dealership with a cool head and positive mind. I was without the car for 30 days, but was provided a loaner car while it was out of service. I’ve also had a couple of minor issues covered under warranty, but truly believe that my kind and constructive approach to bringing them an issue was reciprocated with a kind and constructive team that has, thus far, gone out of their way to fix my issues.

Sucks to hear about the issues you’ve experienced, but to be honest, if Hyundai was notorious for treating all of its customers with the same approach that you received, they would be out of business.

Check your local lemon laws and see if they have obligations to refund or replace the car given the fact that the car seems to have consistent issues. Most of us on here will agree that this is the best car that we’ve ever owned. For reference, I’m a loyal and devoted Toyota owner. This car (and brand) was a leap for me, but it hasn’t been a bad experience overall at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts