Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The city where I live, in the south of Sweden, is going to get a huge charging facility for electric cars:

Lund gets one of the country's largest facilities for charging electric vehicles

"loading sites" = charging bays
"Kraftringen" = the name of the local power company
"Ideon" = the local science park
"lundabor" = residents of Lund
"loading" = charging
"charging card" = charging map (an app for your mobile phone)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some on-site research today and found the facility to actually be four charging stations with 16 bays each.

One of the stations is open and working now, and one is under construction. I couldn't find any traces of the remaining two.

I couldn't resist trying to charge, and after some fiddling with my mobile phone I actually made it work. (Photos 1 and 2). There were no other cars at that time. Charging is free at the moment, but you'll have to pay 10 SEK per hour for parking.

The third photo is of a second charging station under construction. If you look closely you can see the two old discarded charging poles (for schuko plugs) lying on the ground (orange with green labels). To the right, you'll see the eight concrete foundations for the new charging poles.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are so far behind in the UK, I would love to see this sort of facility here

out of interest what is the cost compared to charging at home?
Well, there are places here in Lund where you can charge for nothing while you go shopping. Both charging and parking are completely free. They will of course expect you to spend some money at the mall or supermarket, but you don't have to. But since I'll have to buy groceries anyway, I might as well use a shop where charging is free...

At the science park Ideon as mentioned above, charging is free, but parking is 10 SEK / hour. My plug-in Ioniq will charge at 3.7 kW which means that the cost per kWh would be 10 SEK divided by 3.7 kW = 2.70 SEK.

At home, I currently pay around 1.90 SEK / kWh (including taxes and charges) which is unusually expensive due to the past summer's drought.

(1 SEK is approximately 0.09 GBP or 0.11 USD.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A second charging station (16 bays) at the Ideon Science Park is now in operation. The reason I couldn't find it last week was because it's located on the lower level of a two story car park, and I didn't bother to look there. So there are now a total of 32 bays open for business, with 32 more to come. Not many people seem to be using them so far, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
we are so far behind in the UK, I would love to see this sort of facility here

out of interest what is the cost compared to charging at home?
You can't. We do not have the infrastructure support to enable such ventures.

All of the installed public charge points adopted the low-rate charging systems, which is better than nothing I suppose, but hardly supporting fast-charging for 40kw+ batteries. The reason there aren't any more is because the UK doesn't have the capability to support large numbers of higher-powered chargers.

The concept of `all-electric by 2030` is a government fallacy, one that completely fails to recognise the scale of the problem. We've already looked at the service stations that have had to remove Tesla charging points because of increasing power demands by the stations themselves...

I worked on one scheme that looked to provide publicly-available charging stations in the New Forest: 6 x charging stations - £170,000.
Cost of the infastructure support to deliver those 6 stations? £6 million, payable in-full, up front...

Not do-able.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The chargers at the Ideon Science Park are no fast chargers. Some of them are rated at 22 kW, but that's assuming your car can charge from three phase AC. With single phase charging (e.g. Ioniq BEV), you'll get no more than 7.3 kW.

Most of them are only 4 kW, which is good enough for the Ioniq PHEV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did some on-site research today and found the facility to actually be four charging stations with 16 bays each.

One of the stations is open and working now, and one is under construction. I couldn't find any traces of the remaining two.
We in Finland are ahead of you! :D
In the Ideapark of Lempäälä there are 40 CCS charging poles waiting for future electric car owners!
No charge to use, just plug in.

https://plugit.fi/fi-fi/article/etusivu/suomen-suurin-ilmainen-sahkoauton-latauspisteiden-keskittyma-aukesi-ideaparkiin/719/

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry, thats what I meant, type 2. But anyhow we beat the Swedes!
Only for now! ;) Within a couple of weeks, we're going to have 64 charging bays at the Ideon Science Park.

Andersmo, are there free Type 2 charging available in Sweden?
The chargers at the Ideon are all type 2 and free to use, but you'll have to pay for parking. There are some chargers, mainly at malls or supermarkets, where both parking and charging are completely free.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Unfortunately, you will now have to pay both for parking (10 SEK/hour) and for charging (3 SEK/kWh). Not such a bargain anymore. You also need two different apps in your phone, one to pay for parking, and one to pay for charging.

Alternatively, you can pay for the parking with a credit card or cash, and for the charging with a RFID-token registered to your credit card.

Things can get complicated...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just found out that there are 75 charging bays + 3 Tesla chargers available at the Mobilia Shopping Mall in Malmö, Sweden. Both parking (max 3 hours) and charging are free!

Legend: P-hus = multistory car park, laddplatser = charging bays, plan = level, Tesla laddare = Tesla charger.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts