Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I can just use a bar clamp (F-clamp) for that
Cha,

That is a great idea. Using a bar clamp from the top mounting point to the idler pulley of the tensioner looks like it could give enough clamping to get it loosened up.

This is what I am thinking could be a set up that can accomplish the job, granted there is enough space in the engine bay to have it installed and have the belt removed without interfereing with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know most of us hasnt inched up close to 60k yet required replacement of HSG belt, I am having hard time locating this part or a part# even. My dealership wants to charge $500 for the belt replacement service which I am NOPE *10000 about. Belt shouldnt cost more than 60 and the labor involved shouldnt be more than 30 min. I just want to buy the belt and do it myself but I cannot find the part#

Does anyone know the part# for HSG belt on Ioniq Hybrid?
Get your belt at Auto Zone for $31.68 including the tax. Dealer wants $ 48.99 plus tax. My Hyundai dealership wants $200 to change plus cost of belt.

I'm an old fart and can't risk injury of over exerting a muscle or I would do this myself. Go to YouTube and search for HSH belt change on Sonata Hybrid. Can't be too much different.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know most of us hasnt inched up close to 60k yet required replacement of HSG belt, I am having hard time locating this part or a part# even. My dealership wants to charge $500 for the belt replacement service which I am NOPE *10000 about. Belt shouldnt cost more than 60 and the labor involved shouldnt be more than 30 min. I just want to buy the belt and do it myself but I cannot find the part#

I purchased my HSG belt at AutoZone for $31 USD. Dealer said cost to install was $160 USD. I presented $25 off mfg coupon received from dealer. The dealer tracks my mileage when for oil changes or other, and sends me discount service coupons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ran my HSG belt to 92,000 miles. This is my 3rd summer running in extreme Texas heat and the factory's take off belt was showing only minor signs of cracking.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Found it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also this you tube may help even though it is a sonata looks the same although have not verified yet
if link don't work type this in google browser 2016 Hyundai Sonata HSG Belt

·
Registered
30 Posts

Does anyone know the part# for HSG belt on Ioniq Hybrid
You can order the HSG belt online at Auto Zone. Don't worry about part number cuz it's the only Ioniq serpentine belt Autozone offers for your car. Will cost you $29.81 plus tax and shipping. My dealer installed for
$ 97. I changed my belt at 82 K miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is a great idea. Using a bar clamp from the top mounting point to the idler pulley of the tensioner looks like it could give enough clamping to get it loosened up.

This is what I am thinking could be a set up that can accomplish the job, granted there is enough space in the engine bay to have it installed and have the belt removed without interfereing with it.
For those of us that live in Canada, Canadian Tire has an automotive tool loan program (basically a tool rental at no charge). Looking through the tools available to loan, I found this MacPherson strut spring compressor, https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-strut-spring-compressor-1250052p.html. The same tool is available for purchase on Amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/OEMTOOLS-27036-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B004FELIT4. This might work to replace the Hyundai/Kia tool 02944-G2100 shown in the picture below. It's basically the same thing and the length from jaw to jaw (inner jaw to inner jaw) is 9.75", which should be adequate I think (I don't have the car in front of me to measure how long the spring is).

The mileage on my Ioniq is not nearly high enough to consider changing this belt, but when the time comes (probably in 12 months), I think this might be worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For those of us that live in Canada, Canadian Tire has an automotive tool loan program (basically a tool rental at no charge). Looking through the tools available to loan, I found this MacPherson strut spring compressor, https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-strut-spring-compressor-1250052p.html. The same tool is available for purchase on Amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/OEMTOOLS-27036-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B004FELIT4. This might work to replace the Hyundai/Kia tool 02944-G2100 shown in the picture below. It's basically the same thing and the length from jaw to jaw (inner jaw to inner jaw) is 9.75", which should be adequate I think (I don't have the car in front of me to measure how long the spring is).

The mileage on my Ioniq is not nearly high enough to consider changing this belt, but when the time comes (probably in 12 months), I think this might be worth a try.

View attachment 30841
MacPherson strut spring compressors are way too large for this application.

Belt tensioner spring that 09244-G2100 is trying to compress has helix diameter of .. I would say about 2 inches and the pitch is probably less than 1/4 in. in between helix. The strut spring compressor would not work for this job, unfortunately.

I think the most promising way would be using a C-clamp or buy that specific tool as it is under a lot of tension last time I tried to compress it using a wrench.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts