Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
So you have ordered your car, and now there is the long wait.

If the majority of people were honest with themselves, they would admit to being as excited as a kid at christmas to be getting their piece of shiny new metal. And waiting for it can be painful - very painful!
This can be accentuated by the fact that if not ordered from stock, the car has to come from Korea, so that wait is even longer.

With the advent of ship tracking apps and websites, it is now possible to see exactly where the ship that might be carrying your car is located. For may members, this makes the wait a little easier. So here is a guide to show you how to get started.

Shipping Route and ships

Ioniqs are built in Ulsan, South Korea, in the world’s largest car manufacturing plant. Ulsan has it’s own sea port.
Hyundai’s import centre is at Tilbury Docks, the latter being operated by the Port of London Authority. Vehicles destined for the UK market are shipped from Ulsan to Tilbury by Eukor’s fleet of PCTC (Pure Car and Truck Carrier) ships. Hyundai own 20% of Eukor.
The majority of Eukor’s fleet are named ‘Morning’ something, for example the ‘Morning Pride’ but others, although less in number, are called ‘Asian’ something, e.g. ‘Asian Captain’. A full list of their fleet can be found here.

Finding out which ship your car is on, to date, is not easy. in some respects, this adds to the fun as it can involve much speculation. Your dealer can rarely give you the name of the ship, but can usually provide the shipping date and expected arrival date into Tilbury docks. Theses are your starting points when attempting to track down your vehicle.

The resources

Whilst there are smartphone apps out there, we shall only deal with websites here. The two main sites that I use are as follows;

Vessel Finder - link here
Marine Traffic - link here

Other useful sites are;
Port of London Authority - expected arrivals and times.
Ports.com - useful for calculating distances between ports and sailing time at a given speed.

Vessel Finder gives the best recent ports of call info, and in my opinion, the best map display.
Marine Traffic is useful for finding scheduled and estimated arrival times at any given port.

There are other resources, but they are more geared up for paying customers. The two listed above seem to provide the most info, when accessing for free.

Methods.

As far as we know, all Ioniqs are shipped by Eukor from Ulsan to Tilbury.
Once your car has been put on a ship, your dealer should be able to give you a docking date.

Armed with that date, visit the Eukor shipping schedule HERE and click the ‘Vessel Schedule’ button. enter the port code TIL and find the ship with an ETA matching that date.
That will be the ship to watch.

In the absence of schedule information, the long-winded speculation method is outlined below

Everyone has their own way of doing things, so I will provide an example here of how I approached the task earlier in my endeavours.

First off, I am only interested in vessels heading to Europe Via the Mediterranean, so I would use Marine Traffic to monitor which ships are due to pass through the Suez Canal. Link here
Changing the results per page to 50, I scanned for names beginning with ‘Morning’ or ‘Asian’.
If I found one, I would check the recent ports of call on Vessel finder, looking for Ulsan with a date matching the shipping date. Note, if you see Ichon Korea, the ship will have Kias on board, but I have seen ships call at both Ichon and Ulsan, and carry both marques.

From thereon in, it is a matter of following the progress of an individual ship and working out the feasibility of it making the UK in line with the estimated docking date.
The tracking sites will only show the next port of call one it departs a particular port, so it does become somewhat of a guessing game.

Of course, if your dealer can obtain the name of the exact ship onto which your car was loaded for you, all the better. If enough people keep asking, perhaps Hyundai might make the information more readily available.

I know of at least one other member who's dealer, in addition to my own, has asked how we track the ships, with my own dealer stating how helpful it might be to be able to show a customer exactly where their new car is.

I hope this information helps you too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.