Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to stop the car charging by pressing a button inside the car? The only ways that I know of stopping charging (to unlock the charging cable) is to stop the charging externally, either from the public charging station or from inside the BlueLink app, but it seems like there should be a way of doing this from inside the car. It seems pretty important to be able to do this because if you can't, then you can't unplug the charging cord and can't drive away!

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 Premium SE
15 Posts
To date I have only stopped mine by unlocking the car with the fob then unplugging at the car end (sometimes need to press unlock again on the fob to free the cable).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if you do this, unlock all doors with fob, does it stop charging and unlock the cable? Or does it only unlock the cable but keeps charging until you pull it out?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stops charging and unlocks the cable. After a few seconds it locks the cable and resumes charging (if you don't pull the cable).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stops charging and unlocks the cable. After a few seconds it locks the cable and resumes charging (if you don't pull the cable).
Don't think that's right! defo in U.K. unlocking car does not stop charging, as well as unlocking doors it releases charging cable for a few seconds, it's the act of pulling cable out that stops the charging!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hope not.
That's why it make sense to stop charging first by pushing the stop button/swiping card on charger. The connector is designed to signal to stop before separating the current carrying pins. For Level 2 it is not any different than unplugging the hair dryer to turn it off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read in the owner's manual that you can change the lock setting on the charge cable to either (1) always locked when plugged in, (2) only locked while charging, or (3) always unlocked. So, it seems that whether the cable is locked or not, depends on the internal setting in the car, not on the charger. The Ioniq has (2) as the default locking mechanism. This means that on the default setting, if you can pull the plug from your car, then the charging has stopped.

I'll do this for myself to see the behavior next time I charge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why it make sense to stop charging first by pushing the stop button/swiping card on charger. The connector is designed to signal to stop before separating the current carrying pins. For Level 2 it is not any different than unplugging the hair dryer to turn it off.
Yes, since the charging cable communicates with the charger, I was wondering if there is a way for the car to signal to the charger to stop, besides doing it through the BL app, instead of the charger sending the signal to the car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think, if you are charging and you enable a different charge schedule, from inside the car, it may stop charging and then go to charge at the scheduled time. I have never tried it but it should take a few minutes to see if it works.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Doc
got to correct you on that!
If you unplug the hair dryer without switching off, you have current flowing up to the point the pins come out of the socket! giving chance of spark jumping across pin to plug just as they seperate!
Whereas with type 2 plug and car there are 2 pins shorter than the rest that control charge flow and stop the heavy current flow before pins are out of socket!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tested the method myself and here's how it worked.
-I plugged in my car and saw it start charging, both from car end and on charger.
-Doors were already unlocked, so I pushed the fob unlock button once and I heard the charger cable unlock, however, it did not stop charging. I let it keep going for a few seconds.
-I unplugged the cable and it only stopped charging once the pins came out.

At first, I wondered why unlocking didn't stop the charging first so that I could unplug it, but then I realized that they probably designed it this way so that if you accidentally unlock the doors while it's charging and you don't know it, it won't stop charging and leave you uncharged when you were expecting a full charge. It's a lot harder to restart the charging process, so they probably didn't want to make you restart the process if you unlock the doors one too many times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you watch the instrument cluster when you unlock the 7kw charging drops to 0.5kw the cable is unlocked in anticipation of you pulling out the cable, if you do not unplug it ramps back up to 7kw and I assume the cable is locked again. Therefore not a great amount of current if you disconnect.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
About a week ago I was charging at a legacy station where the buttons were so worn you couldn’t tell what did what. Needless to say, car was still charging but I wanted to leave, but I couldn’t disconnect because it was locked. I tried pushing buttons on the machine but I ended up stopping and starting, with no clear idea which was which.
Long story short, in your EV menu settings I’m fairly positive there’s an option to stop charging, because that’s what I did.
I’ll try and remember tomorrow when I charge to verify this and pinpoint where exactly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About a week ago I was charging at a legacy station where the buttons were so worn you couldn’t tell what did what. Needless to say, car was still charging but I wanted to leave, but I couldn’t disconnect because it was locked. I tried pushing buttons on the machine but I ended up stopping and starting, with no clear idea which was which.
Long story short, in your EV menu settings I’m fairly positive there’s an option to stop charging, because that’s what I did.
I’ll try and remember tomorrow when I charge to verify this and pinpoint where exactly.
I was just at an EVGo charging station today and scoured the EV menus looking for a button to stop charging from the vehicle end and couldn't find one. I find it incredibly annoying that Hyundai didn't put a simple button inside the car to stop charging! The fob unlock solution to me is more of an emergency way to stop charging, since instead of unplugging the cable while it's still charging, I'd rather have a button that tells the software to ramp down the charging.

Btw, I looked at the charging rate after I unlocked on my fob, and it didn't drop to 0.5 kW as was previously mentioned on this forum. It still charges at normal speed until I unplug it, which makes me a little weary of using the fob solution regularly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe the 0.5kw drop only happens on AC chargers, normally there is a stop button on a DC charger so why would you need to stop it from the car end. When the DC charge is stopped I have found that the cable does not need to be unlocked it just pulls out. I do not know if we have EVGo in the UK so not sure how that one works but I assume it is a DC charger.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Btw, I looked at the charging rate after I unlocked on my fob, and it didn't drop to 0.5 kW as was previously mentioned on this forum. It still charges at normal speed until I unplug it, which makes me a little weary of using the fob solution regularly.
The fob unlock lets you unlock the charging cable, and as soon as you push the button on the cable it breaks the pilot signal. This causes the car's AC circuit to stop drawing any current, and if you're using DC fast charging it signals the external charger to go to zero volts so the car won't draw any current, so either way there is zero risk of arc damage to the contacts as you unplug. It's a totally safe way to stop.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This problem has been solved in the infancy of electric cars, don't worry, just drive it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts