Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Open letter to Hyundai: Your PR dept. has promoted the Ioniq fairly competently up until official debuts or reveals. Prior to the Korean and NA debuts, Hyundai "leaked" several teaser photos and videos that generated interest in the car. Engineers and dept heads gave interviews with bloggers that kept interest high until the official debut. However, post-reveal promotion has been crickets chirping. Really? Absolutely no news or info or specs or videos-- at all? For three months? No announcements of release dates? No technical white papers? No animation videos showing details of the drivetrain? No nothing?

Hyundai, you suck at promoting this car. Give interested people a release date and then get busy publishing info on the car. There should be some news released every week until the car is in showrooms. Look at Mazda's website and all the Skyactive pictures and animations that explain the benefits of the technology in clear terms . Look at Subaru's videos demonstrating the superiority of their 4-wheel-drive system. You should be doing the same for the Ioniq's HEV drivetrain. There should be a steady stream of new info so that interest doesn't die away; as it certainly has.

One other point: If someone gives you their email address, as you invite them to do on your website, for more information about the Ioniq; honor your promise. Don't spam that email address with completely unrelated crap that has nothing to do with the Ioniq. You generate nothing but ill will that way.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I totally agree

I had the following from Hyundai UK when I queried if Hyundai were going to take the Ioniq to GoodWood festival of speed which would have been an excellent place for the UK launch as many other manufacturers use it for launches as it is basically the only real car show in UK

will Hyundai be at goodwood FOS?, if yes will ioniq be there? if yes will it be in moving motorshow as I am going on 23rd

their reply

Hi there, We won’t be at this event but we will be showing IONIQ at Bournemouth Wheels Festival 3rd-5th June and Company Car In Action 14th – 15th June.Kind Regards,

and not a word in the media or online

KIA seem to be making better job with the Niro

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
on twitter, seems they took the ioniq to the UK SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders ) test day 26 may

I note with interest that even only a few weeks ago they are still using the left hand drive car as a demo, is the spec and right hand drive car not ready yet? is this the reason for the delay?

I would have thought Hyundai would demo a RHD car in the UK as we drive on the right? as we are also likely to be one of the first markets to get the ioniq

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I queried the launch date with Hyundai UK

@Hyundai_UK I am seeing in the press, the release of the Ioniq is being delayed until 2017 instead of oct 2016 is this correct?

and got the answer

Hi, the ioniq launch is still October 2016, keep an eye on the website and social media for further updates, Thanks

so where are the websites / reporters getting the information about the delay from?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the US, Toyota's new IV gen Prius is in showrooms. Advertisements appear on TV. The car is prominently featured on their website with full and complete specs available to buyers. Bloggers and major auto magazines have released full driving tests. This is where the competition is.

I don't begrudge Hyundai's release date, whatever it is. It's more important to get the car right than to get it out early. I resent that Hyundaiusa's PR dept has been on vacation since March. If I were a Hyundai dealer, I'd be pretty angry about the complete lack of news and info from corporate over the last 3 months. New buyers looking at the Prius don't even know the Ioniq exists. Promote is an action verb, Hyundai.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the US, Toyota's new IV gen Prius is in showrooms. Advertisements appear on TV. The car is prominently featured on their website with full and complete specs available to buyers. Bloggers and major auto magazines have released full driving tests. This is where the competition is.

I don't begrudge Hyundai's release date, whatever it is. It's more important to get the car right than to get it out early. I resent that Hyundaiusa's PR dept has been on vacation since March. If I were a Hyundai dealer, I'd be pretty angry about the complete lack of news and info from corporate over the last 3 months. New buyers looking at the Prius don't even know the Ioniq exists. Promote is an action verb, Hyundai.
That is the key thing right there. Without promotion, you basically don't pose any form of competition. Without trying to place yourself in the lime light, what's the point ? The hype for the Ioniq should've been vast at this point, but it isn't.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good move that they're making LHD cars first because it seems that's where the main markets are right now, America being what seems to be right at the top for now. Plus the success they have in America can have an effect on how they do in other markets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They just need to properly promote the Ioniq and think they need to start sending them to journalists for reviews. There's just so little new information or news about their trio of cars that people may start loosing interest.

Commercials won't go amiss either. And I never sign up for those updating newsletters because all car companies will keep sending you everything under the sun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
With summer just starting hopefully they have plans to bring these out to events where families will be since that seems to be a proven strategy. GM does it a lot and the line ups you see are crazy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm bumping this old thread to bitch once again about the lack of promotion or news about the US Ioniq from Hyundaiusa. It's amazing that we are midway through October now and the Ioniq is still listed as "future" automobiles on the US website without pricing, without EPA numbers, and without complete specs and with no firm release dates for any of the models. We are nearly a month into winter with zero new info on even the BEV model which is supposed to be released this winter.

There's a problem with the US release, obviously. Since Ioniqs are being sold worldwide, I suspect the problem is a political one and not a technical one. Hyundai has not greased the palms of the EPA or some other US regulatory agency sufficiently to be allowed to sell the Ioniq here yet. It's a corporate-fascist problem where a more competent player is being denied access to the US market by less competent player(s), I just know it.

Or maybe it's a production problem. I saw this today: Hyundai reaches tentative deal to end crippling strike - MarketWatch

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe Hyundai is just waiting for the LA auto show next month to debut the Ioniq to the U.S. market? The delay could be due to the strike too since order delivery dates would have been pushed back because of it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Ioniq already debuted in the US in NY in March.

It has been crickets from hyundaiusa since then which is not only unprofessional and weird, but it leads one to speculate. Will we have to bump this thread again in another 3 months?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts