Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have went on a department road with two lanes total.
Having a small amount of time to overtake usually means that you need to control when do you want your car to apply the full power.
In my petrol car, I would downshift into 5th or 4th and kept the same speed with greater rpm, then kick the gas pedal when I wanted to start the manoeuvre..

What I've tried in the hybrid is:
-to do nothing but kick the pedal in eco mode
-to shift into sports before,
-to shift into sports and downshift before accelerating.

None of the above felt like the previous car (mind you, manual) kind of control.
The first two were very laggy (the engine was in high rpm about when I was already finishing the overtake, sweating).
The last one also felt incomplete, in the sense that, being in 4th speed, in the middle of the maneuver, the car decided to go into 3rd and this seemed to me it took some time off my overtake..

How do you folks usually do this?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You didn't say your starting speed, but it sounds like maybe a manual downshift to third gear before starting might work. While this car doesn't feel underpowered to me, I've owned a number of very low powered cars (with a third the power) that I've driven fast back in the day such as a VW Beetle and a Datsun B210 (Sunny). I've timed my passes by dropping back and accelerating before changing lanes. That strategy works with any vehicle.

My driving style has been changed significantly by this car and I seldom pass on a two lane any more. But I was more in a hurry during my first year of ownership and had no problem overtaking.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Unless the vehicle in front of me is going unreasonably slow I never worry about passing it. I always remember I am driving this Ioniq for the economy, not for speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didn't say your starting speed, but it sounds like maybe a manual downshift to third gear before starting might work.
Sorry - this was at about 70-80km/h (so 50mph) overtaking to about 100km/h probably(60mph+?). I usually overtake only slow cars on 90kmph roads.

Downshifting to 3rd sounded like extreme to me, but will give it a try when I have a chance.
I was surprised that using the paddles (or +/- on the sports mode) is still overridden like this.

Plus, it doesn't show your gear, but only the gear you're supposed to be in.

I also want economy with this car, but I want to be in control.. this sounds more like a manual vs automatic gear thing.
For example, I'm pretty sure the motor helped at the beginning of the overtake in all cases, but I am not fit to appreciate this, being more of a 'hear the engine" old-school and the motor does its thing silently. For a short distance, too..

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Downshifting to 3rd sounded like extreme to me, but will give it a try when I have a chance.
Since the car decided it was appropriate, should be OK. There is a rev limiter so I don't think any decision will damage the engine.

I've never tried using sport mode for passing, not even sure if I've ever had to floor it. While I doubt throttle remapping in sport does any good, it is possible that it reduces any delay when the throttle is pressed. In eco mode, response is delayed while it considers if a pedal press was deliberate or not - an algorithm tries to reduce unwanted inputs due to bumps (or poor driving) to save fuel. So for low visibility or reduced time for passing, shifting to sport mode is wise for quick response when you go for it. It is also possible that only sport mode allowed that downshift into third.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got on a two lane road yesterday behind two semi trucks. We stopped at a red light and the road ahead was clear so I put it in sport mode. When the light turned green and we were thru the intersection I hit the gas (did not downshift) and passed both of them easily.

This may not equate to your situation as I have the phev and we were starting out at a lower speed. But for me there was reasonable acceleration.

The funny thing was that after I got to my desired speed of 60 mph the two semis caught up with me and then road my bumper for about 20 miles. In hindsight I should not have passed them and I would have been fine driving behind them. I tend to drive economically and like to watch my average mpg increase. But big trucks are so slow leaving red lights that it seemed like the thing to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may not equate to your situation as I have the phev and we were starting out at a lower speed. But for me there was reasonable acceleration.
Actually my paint point is not lack of acceleration, merely lack of its control. My previous car was definitely less powerful as I've studied the power to rpm ratios of both (i30, 1.6GDI was not a rocket at all).

In a couple of days I might test this on highway speeds. This probably means no 3rd gear at all, but also no stress of somebody coming from the opposite side.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Select Sport Mode before closing on the car in front of you, than briefly kick the accelerator pedal to downshift and only then start thinking when it is safe to overtake. Reaching high ICE revs (3rd gear actually at that speed) before you actually start overtaking is the key answer. If you do not do it like this, especially when in D, you will loose about 4-5 seconds before the transmission figures out what you are trying to do and the ICE kicks in, even if you use kickdown or you switch to Sport Mode the second you want to overtake.
You'll get used to it with time. You will also not feel the acceleration as in a regular petrol car because between 1000 to 3500 rpm you already have the maximum torque possible.
A short video, you can hear the car shifts to 4th gear as I was not pressing hard on the accelerator pedal while easily overtaking the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Select Sport Mode before closing on the car in front of you, than briefly kick the accelerator pedal to downshift and only then start thinking when it is safe to overtake. Reaching high ICE revs (3rd gear actually at that speed) before you actually start overtaking is the key answer. If you do not do it like this, especially when in D, you will loose about 4-5 seconds before the transmission figures out what you are trying to do and the ICE kicks in, even if you use kickdown or you switch to Sport Mode the second you want to overtake.
You'll get used to it with time.
Thanks a lot for the hints! Can't wait to try this tomorrow.

Why so you say the power is mostly between 1000 and 3500 rpm?

·
Registered
509 Posts
4-5 second wait, take car to dealer there is something wrong with the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks a lot for the hints! Can't wait to try this tomorrow.

Why so you say the power is mostly between 1000 and 3500 rpm?
Peak engine Power is at 5700 rpm. Not sure what speed the electric motor achieves peak, but it is only 43 HP and probably peaks near the peak of the gasoline engine. The electric motor runs at engine speed. Acceleration of a vehicle is proportional to Power / Weight ratio, and while power at the engine is nearly the same as power at the axle, torque at the engine is definitely not (gearboxes multiply torque, not power). In general, best acceleration will occur near the peak power speed of the engine. For an in-depth explanation of vehicle acceleration see this : Power or Torque? – Roth Automotive Science

Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was talking about the maximum torque not power between 1000-3500 rpm. I think it involves the sensation felt by the driver and passengers that the car accelerates (moving your head backwards as you hit hard the gas pedal) while in the same gear.

Regarding acceleration, on the paper, it outperforms by a little a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv-G Mild Hibrid Automatic 122HP. But it outperforms it a lot in the fuel efficiency scenario which is the reason this car was built :)
But I do not feel the acceleration as I was used to from a conventional car. I only feel it after I start hearing the engine roaring sound, which is above 3000 rpm.

Power = Torque x RPM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the explanations @mi20r and @droth4 and sorry about confusing torque with power. I actually remembered checking those curves myself before buying the car and came to the conclusion that the Ioniq should be comparable to a 1.5l or 1.6 with a turbine. However I haven't remembered that the max torque was at lower rpms.

About overtaking, I tried a couple of variants today and indeed 'double clicking' the gas pedal in sports mode was far better than manual shifting or doing the same in eco mode. By double clicking I mean the manoeuvre @mi20r described, you press the gas pedal once and it lowers the gear upping the rpm, then at the next press you already sound like a regular manual petrol car. Thanks! .

Last time I was just pressing the foot on the gas pedal hard for a long time and thatsswitched the gears while I was already passing the other car.

About the 4-5 seconds delay @coverman I think the idea was that the total time is shortened by 4 to 5 seconds doing this, not that it starts reacting after 5 seconds.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is something wrong with your torque curve shown for the Ioniq . It will not be at the unusable revs below 1250 rpm. Anyway, overtaking should be an intuitive thing for any driver otherwise you need to go back to driving school. There are optimal points in the rev range for changing gear but one shouldn't be doing mental arithmetic when overtaking.
You will not really obtain much feeling of being forced back in the seat under accelaration from an Ioniq: it's a low powered car for goodness sake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyway, overtaking should be an intuitive thing for any driver otherwise you need to go back to driving school
I think asking on this forum was very useful, - consider I didn't have an automatic before and now this one also has an electric motor, which makes me barely aware of the sound of the engine and rpms.

Regarding your 'low-powered car' comment: maybe you should take the overtaking advice:) Here's a sample from what I was researching before buying (unable to link directly to https://www.automobile-catalog.com because it doesn't have query parameters in the url, but you should be able to reconstruct the comparison):

(The Ioniq is GREEN, of course)
These guys basically say that there shouldn't be much difference between the hybrid and an A3 sportsback of 1,5L turbocharged.

What I do find is that there's a difference in sound, because the help of the electric motor gets unnoticed (audio-wise).
Oh well:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Learn your car before you drive it hard is old fashioned advice but still relevant
Old open cars were so noisy that you wouldn't have been able to hear the engine note at speed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Of MGs I only ever owned an Midget 1500, and that was just to teach my wife to drive in . As a kid I travelled in many a Healey 3000 tuned for rallying by my father's garage and we would take them onto the Barnet Bypass to test flat out; they were noisy. My Mini Marcos ( sold to Japan) had a tuned 1275 A series with the Weber 45 sitting in the firewall where the heater was and sucking air through a scuttle vent and that was the noisiest closed car I ever owned but I had no trouble knowing when to change gear whilst driving it hard in competitions etc( still holds a class record at a now closed hillclimb).
The Sylva Leader that I hillclimbed used twin 40s and was an open car and at speed was too noisy to hear the motor properky- again it was a question if getting to know the car prior to driving it hard. My current hillclimb and sprint car has only a vestigial windshield and uses a Weber 500 for induction and the change up point
in 4th at 125 mph things are pretty noisy but by knowing the car I time the change into 5 th ok

1 - 18 of 18 Posts