Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had my Ioniq for a few days and I love it. However my battery always stays around the half way mark and my OCD doesn't like that so does anyone know how to drive it to charge the battery fully?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi

I have had my Ioniq for a few days and I love it. However my battery always stays around the half way mark and my OCD doesn't like that so does anyone know how to drive it to charge the battery fully?
From my limited understanding of the drive battery, I believe that the wizardry of computers makes sure that it is within a certain range of charge. Neither ever full nor empty.

Something to do with preserving battery life.

·
Registered
251 Posts
jonny,

I used to think the same way about my Prius. I tried to drive it in a manner that maximized the number of bars on the battery charge gauge. I always felt a smug sense of satisfaction when the gauge was full-to-the-brim with pretty green bars.

But then one day I had an epiphany. "Wait just a minute here," I thought to myself. "Why should I try to keep the battery full? I should be USING the battery to power the car, not the other way around. Energy sitting in the battery does no good toward improving the car's gas mileage. The battery is there to be USED!"

So I stopped worrying about the battery's state-of-charge, drove normally to the pub and had a beer!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you insist on charging the the high voltage battery to a higher level than the car itself would normally prefer, the easiest way to do so is to engage Sport-mode and just drive leisurely. The petrol engine will then be constantly engaged and the battery quickly fills up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
drove normally to the pub and had a beer!
Let's hope this guy wasn't hiding behind a billboard when you drove home... >:)

Oh but wait... wrong county... wrong state even... wrong century! (hybrids werent invented back then)... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Plus I understand that in the Prius, and perhaps in the Ioniq as well, the full range of the gauge is NOT the full capacity of the battery.

I read somewhere years ago that it just shows some subset of the full battery. For example, the very bottom, with zero bars showing (which I sometimes experience on long, steep uphill grades), is really like a 20% or 40% charge level, and the top, with all green bars showing, is really only the 80% level. Something like that, anyway.

I don't think Toyota engineers really want mere drivers to know too much about what's going on "under the hood."

But bluecar1 is right, as far as I know: the battery management software is designed to use the battery as needed for maximum life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the battery meter to full a few days ago b driving gently in sport mode for quite a while. Interestingly, once there it did not use the ev mode more often to run it down again so i think attempting this is a waste of time. Nevertheless I'm easily able to achieve 65mpg without trying so im not too worried about this.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Over the last few days I have been switching to sport mode when cruising downhill. That switches the hybrid system into engine generation+ regeneration instead of regeneration alone, or into generation+motor drive or power reserve instead of EV drive. I do that to stack up power in view of the uphill drive that typically follows, or to have a more electric drive once in the city. (I live in a city that is in the center of a "basin", so I drive downhill to get there)

The benefit is to make the drive overall quieter. The engine isn't loud when generating power downhill, and is quieter uphill when assisted by plenty of battery power, than when climbing with a low SoC. And of course, city driving is more pleasant and eco-friendly with the engine off.

Regarding fuel economy, I seem to get a slight improvement, but it is not significant. For sure it does not degrade fuel economy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts