Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article very interesting and enlightening: Hyundai Eliminates Traditional Battery in Ioniq Hybrid | News | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Of particular interest:

The Ioniq Hybrid can also boast a two-percent edge in cargo space versus the Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid and Ioniq Electric, both of which use a lead-acid battery in the cargo bay. Hyundai would not say why it kept conventional batteries on those two models, but as they fetch significantly higher prices, tempering production costs was the likely solution.
I'm shocked no other hybrid vehicle has had this design. This seems ingenious. Also, very interesting that the Electric and PHEV both still retain the lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would like to have the consolidated startup battery. My Premium SE 2017 in Holland still has a conventional battery. Already in my Honda hybrid years (10y ago) i wondered why the car was not started by the hybrid battery. That no rocket science is it?.
The only disadvantage is that when your hybrid battery is low you have to walk or wait. No jump start. So we need secure ( read my lips) SECURE technology Hyundai! . Then I,'ll be the first to switch. Else I wait for an EV equipped with a fuel cell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This baffles me, too.
The lead-acid battery seems to be useless anyway - whenever I park and it takes me longer to grab all my things, with MP3/radio on, it takes just a few minutes before I get a low battery warning, with suggestion to either turn media off, or keep running infotainment system with the equivalent of traditional ignition key in "Start" position. The regular battery dies almost instantly (in fact, it died on me at the day I picked up the car, when dealer performed the traditional introduction to car systems etc - 10 minutes of showing me around and it died, so I had to wait 15 minutes longer while they recharge it, lol. Not that waiting was a problem :) ).
Furthermore, the software doesn't let the EV battery go below 33% anyway, so you should never run out of juice.

Interesting article, thanks for linking! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmm, I'm confused. I test drove a 2017 Hybrid in the UK last weekend, before I had read this article, and noticed that there was a standard-looking battery in a compartment at the side of the luggage bay. So is this battery elimination just for certain countries? Or did maybe early production model hybrids still have the lead-acid battery?

·
Registered
167 Posts
fishyweb - this is not as much as 12v battery elimination, as a different placement. Eearly Ioniq Hybrids have 12v battery in the right-hand side of the boot, while the later iterations will seem to have it installed together with the EV battery. And it won't be the lead-acid battery, but Li-On.

bluecar1 - you may be right, but the day I was picking up, exactly this happened - we've got low battery warning, and 5 minutes later the car shut completely down.
To be fair though, the car was not test-drove by anyone else after my test drive (I know cause I've had a look at the odometer :D), so it was parked for three weeks - there is a good chance this contributed to battery discharge at the day I picked the car up.
Still, when I see the warning, I either turn the car off, or put it in Start mode - I don't want to risk discharging the battery :)

One day, I drove my wife to her office as she needed to pick some documents up and talk to few people, so I was waiting for her on the parking lot, listening to music.
I deliberately played the music a little louder with car in Start mode, to see if it'll be using the EV battery.
After 30 minutes of listening to my music, the battery dropped by one bar, so it would seem the car is capable of using EVs energy.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Hmm, I'm confused. I test drove a 2017 Hybrid in the UK last weekend, before I had read this article, and noticed that there was a standard-looking battery in a compartment at the side of the luggage bay. So is this battery elimination just for certain countries? Or did maybe early production model hybrids still have the lead-acid battery?
As far as I can tell, all hybrids not headed for North America are fitted with lead acid batteries. Kind of scary to have them inside the passenger compartment as they do sometimes explode.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'm a bit baffled by the blog post. I thought the battery reset recharged the 12V lithium battery. The blog says it just starts the engine and then the alternator recharges the 12 volt battery. I can see how that might be better for the battery, but it is not how it was explained before.

I also don't really understand the claim that the Ioniq is the first car unable to jump other cars. You can certainly jump the Ioniq from other cars, and it is difficult for me to understand how you can make that 12V connection flow DC only in only one direction.

Reactions: Gall

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
bluecar1 - you may be right, but the day I was picking up, exactly this happened - we've got low battery warning, and 5 minutes later the car shut completely down.
To be fair though, the car was not test-drove by anyone else after my test drive (I know cause I've had a look at the odometer :D), so it was parked for three weeks - there is a good chance this contributed to battery discharge at the day I picked the car up.
that's useful information, so about 3 weeks parked up before you get a low 12v battery warning
One day, I drove my wife to her office as she needed to pick some documents up and talk to few people, so I was waiting for her on the parking lot, listening to music.
I deliberately played the music a little louder with car in Start mode, to see if it'll be using the EV battery.
After 30 minutes of listening to my music, the battery dropped by one bar, so it would seem the car is capable of using EVs energy.
I don't think there is actually an alternator on the engine (only motor / generator) so the 12v battery is somehow charged from the traction battery, similar to the EV

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I would like to have the consolidated startup battery. My Premium SE 2017 in Holland still has a conventional battery. Already in my Honda hybrid years (10y ago) i wondered why the car was not started by the hybrid battery. That no rocket science is it?.
The only disadvantage is that when your hybrid battery is low you have to walk or wait. No jump start. So we need secure ( read my lips) SECURE technology Hyundai! . Then I,'ll be the first to switch. Else I wait for an EV equipped with a fuel cell.
Actually the two batteries work in different ways:
1: The starter battery delivers high peak current for a short period of time to turn the engine over and fire up the spark plugs
2: The hybrid battery is a long-endurance stable output design, for slowish power development (when compared to the milliseconds of the starter battery) and long periods of partial activity. It can also switch rapidly from discharge to charge.

Different Duty Cycles or if you prefer, hare vs. tortoise...

It's exactly the same as a caravan or motorhome Leisure Battery, although in those cases the battery actually does look very similar to the starter battery, which is where the start of confusion lies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts