Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested to buy a 2018 hybrid Ioniq.
I was wondering how much is the average cost of maintenance / repairs and servicing costs.

Also, is it a reliable car?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I suppose the servicing costs vary from country to country .
Is it reliable ? I owned an Ioniq Hybrid from December 2016 to March 2020 ...no problems
My 2020 Ioniq ? Battery went flat yesterday , no big problem starting it

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Maintenance costs of the hybrid should be similar to any other car, except less than half the brake maintenance costs. Typically the engines last longer too, less stressed. So far, the Ioniq/Niros seems to have better than average reliability.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It depends on how much you drive. Engine service intervals are at 7500 miles or one year. Since it uses regenerative braking, brake pads last a long time. Just like an IC vehicle it requires tire rotations, fluid and belt checks, etc. I have had mine for 18k miles and have had no issues. I drove a Volvo for many years, but this Ioniq, although not the luxury of the Volvo, is much more reliable. It is fun to drive and the MPG is two times the Volvo! There are some quirky things about the Ioniq though. One being the bar dividing the rear hatch window and no wiper on that window. No power outlets for rear passengers. Only the driver's seat is powered! In the US there is no heated steering wheel. The hood has to be held up with a prop. Have to manually raise rear hatch. But if none of those bother you, then go for it.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
110 Posts
Service intervals this side of the Atlantic are annually or 10,000 miles, I've never yet met a dealer who would rotate the tyres as a matter of course. I've done 16,000 miles in 6 months, nothing has gone wrong, I never turn the AC off and my average mpg is in the mid 60's. If I drive like a granny, I can get near to 70mpg, if I drive like I've stolen it, 50+ is still the norm.

It's very comfortable, not too noisy and the active cruise control is brilliant. It's no sports car, but handling and ride are more than acceptable. Interior wise, I hate leather seats so the 1st Edition with heated searts and steering wheel was perfect for me as was the fact that it has an electronic hand brake rather than the foot opoerated one of lesser models.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I've never yet met a dealer who would rotate the tyres as a matter of course.
We love to rotate tires on this side of the Atlantic. Lots of independent tire dealers and the car dealers love to offer it as well. I purchased a road hazard warranty from one independent when my car was 2 weeks old for $75 which included lifetime rotation and balance.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug in. 2019
54 Posts
as was the fact that it has an electronic hand brake rather than the foot opoerated one of lesser models.
I actually prefer the manual foot operated parking brake, so much easier to maintain with just two cables and a ratchet mechanism, My previous car a Renault scenic with electronic handbrake cost just short of a £1000 when the the servo and hand brake ECU packed up,
The foot parking brake on the Iconiq works well And should require minimal maintenance over it’s life,

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is perhaps where we differ, mine is a company car on a full service and maintenance Contract Hire package for 4 years at 35K pa. I anything happens it will be fixed a no cost to me and the only place it is allowed to go is a Hyundai main dealer. After 4 years, this one goes back to become a 140K, one careful driver, full main dealer service history used car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts