Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited EV
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Planning on taking a trip next month, for a week. We were planning on leaving our 2020 Ioniq Limited at the airport lot. It just dawned on me that it would be a bummer if we returned to a dead battery, lol

Does anyone know if the battery, assume at 80-90 charge after the drive to the airport, would be ok for a week without plugging in?

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2018 Premium
27 Posts
It must be enough. But I can chime back with the result of a real-life experiment. I left my Ioniq 2017 with 65% charge at home for a full week. At Sunday evening I can tell you what happened...

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
969 Posts
Hi all

Planning on taking a trip next month, for a week. We were planning on leaving our 2020 Ioniq Limited at the airport lot. It just dawned on me that it would be a bummer if we returned to a dead battery, lol

Does anyone know if the battery, assume at 80-90 charge after the drive to the airport, would be ok for a week without plugging in?
I have left mine at an airport carpark for nearly one month with no issues. The main point to get right is to ensure that the car is properly and fully shutdown with all doors and hatches fully closed and nothing left plugged into USB that could take power, even though the USB should not have power with the car off. The charge on the traction battery will not decrease at all, but it is important to ensure there is no "vampire" drain on the 12v battery.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited EV
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have left mine at an airport carpark for nearly one month with no issues. The main point to get right is to ensure that the car is properly and fully shutdown with all doors and hatches fully closed and nothing left plugged into USB that could take power, even though the USB should not have power with the car off. The charge on the traction battery will not decrease at all, but it is important to ensure there is no "vampire" drain on the 12v battery.
I have little control on how its parked, as we are staying at a valet type lot. Sounds like I should be ok, though. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,294 Posts
I have little control on how its parked, as we are staying at a valet type lot. Sounds like I should be ok, though. Thank you!
You can flip the switch so that the interior lights don't come on with the doors, that will help if the valet doesn't shut them properly.

Also, if you have an external 12V battery charger, top up your 12V with that overnight before you leave to be sure it's in top shape.

Both of these are probably overkill, but if you're concerned then that would be the way to minimize any risk.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
969 Posts
One further point worth mentioning is that a number of owners on this forum have reported issues with the 12v battery going flat caused, they believe, by Bluelink. If you have this activated on your car you may want to consider disabling it. If you search Bluelink you will find loads of relevant threads.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
345 Posts
Mine went flat a few days ago. I don't use Bluelink. And it wasn't moisture getting into the door switches either. Afaik the keys weren't getting moved around, so unlikely to have been fob movement/keypress waking it up. It's been standing a few days since, has dropped slowly to about 12.1V, then has got boosted up to 12.8.

I believe the Konas got an update where the daily topup got changed from 24 hour intervals down to 4 hour ones. Anyone know if we've had this update? Should be detectable if someone has a continuous 24 hour voltage log...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I left my ioniq disconnected on the airport parking for three weeks in freezing conditions last year. No problem at all.
The traction battery should not loose more than just a couple of percents per month and the 12V utility battery should easily survive for 4 or 5 weeks.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2018 Premium
27 Posts
It must be enough. But I can chime back with the result of a real-life experiment. I left my Ioniq 2017 with 65% charge at home for a full week. At Sunday evening I can tell you what happened...
So, after 160 hours of parking there was no problem unlocking, starting etc. Not a single percent drop in state of charge.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have done a bit more monitoring what my 38 kWh Ioniq does while sitting mostly idle over a few days. I have the Battery Saver+ option selected so the high-voltage gives it a regular topup. I have a BM2 monitor connected across the battery terminals. This must be drawing a bit of power itself, but I haven't measured that (yet).

Obvious conclusions:
1) The Battery Saver kicks into action 24 hours after the last charge finished. So clearly we don't have the Kona update which reduced this interval to 4 hours I read somewhere here.

2) If the 12V battery is at 13.0V, the Battery saver doesn't happen.

Summary of data from BM2 over several days. One day had a tiny trip out, another a longish trip out.

I started with the battery at 13.24V after I'd recharged it using my Ctek. This was after it had gone flat at 8.3V overnight!
24 hours later, no topup has happened, a couple of tiny blips, could be me walkign past with keys waking it up a bit, butnothing significant. Vattery has dropped to 12.91V.

11 am the next day, battery at 12.86V, Topup happens. Car gives it 14.5V for 20 minutes then stops. Battery at 13.26V .

11:20 next day, battery at 12.83V, Topup at 14.4V for 15 min. Battery at 13.1V.
Car gets a 5 mile trip at 9 pm. Battery gets charged at 13.7V but this doesn't reset the Topup 24hr countdown.

11:35 next day, battery at 12.8V. Topup at 14.4V for 15 mins. Battery at 13.1V.

11:50 next day, battery at 12.75V. Topup at 14.4V for 20 mins. Battery at 13.1V. At 12:49 battery at 13.0V.
At 12:51 bat at 12.6V, at 13:03 it's at 12.24V and looks like the car's been running the computer & hasn't shutdown? Maybe I sat in it & checked the state of things? Can't remember.
At 13:09 it's at 12,6V, whatever it was has shutdown, and teh battery's recoverign back to it's rest voltage. This is about 12.75V over hte next day.

12:10 next day, battery at 12.65V. Topup at 14.6V for 15 mins. Battery at 13.1V.

12:30 nexrt day, battery at 12.7V. Topup at 14.5V for 20 mins. Battery at 13.0V.

12:50 next day, battery at 12.65V. Topup at 14.65V for 20 mins. Battery at 13.0V.

Next day trip out for the day, 25 miles out, 10 local, 25 back, charging sometimes solid 14.6V, sometimes bouncing between 13.1V and 14.6V. Battery at 12.8V after getting home. Half-way through the final trip home, the 24-hour Topup countdown gets reset. No idea why!

15:55 next day, battery at 12.65V. Topup at 14.65V for 15 mins. Battery at 13.0V.

Next day, similar, regular pattern.

So if your car's sitting idle with Battery Saver selected, it should be fine for ages, as it will do a 15 to 20 minute topup 24 hours after the previous one finished. I don't know if a flatter battery gets a longer topup, and I haven't seen my vampire drain recur, but it's only been about 12 days. Not enough data yet to draw any further conclusions.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2018 Premium
27 Posts
In any case, this top up is too frequent, isn't it? I rarely see the blinking light in the morning (which is an indicator that topup happened). Maybe once in a month... My bet is that the 12V battery is defective.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Car is 2 years old, I've had 1 vampire drain event in the 1 year I've owned it, so it's getting a battery check at the 2nd yr service this September. Will be interesting to see what H say! I'm building my own battery-booster device based on a 21Ah AGM aux battery that will sit beside main battery, in case I get another vampire attack, as my Li-ion booster pack failed to start the car. I think the car sat on the dealer's forecourt much of its 1st year, maybe it's now damaged, I have no real way of knowing. I'll give it a Ctek AGM desulphate recondition cycle tonight, will be interesting to see if that alters anything.

Would be good to see what other BM2 users see on their batteries. Whether a daily topup is unusual, again, I don't know.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow! great chart. I've just created a new thread to try to collect this info in 1 place, starting with my own pic. Thread here:
Ioniq 12V Battery, BM2 Monitor Pictures and Vampire...
Any chance you can post this shot in there please?

Interesting it seems to be a fixed 3-day boost, rather than a voltage-dependent thing? E.g on Dec 23 it's started a topup when battery was around 12.35V after 3 days, but from Dec 18-20 it spent 2 days around 12.15V.

If your topups were daily like mine, your voltages would be around 13V after the topup, falling to 12.6 after 24 hours, very like mine. Maybe H upped the topup frequency from 3-days to 1-day when they introduced the 38 kWh model?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all

I have 2019 hybrid, was in quarantine for 6 months in Vegas. When I got back home (Philippines) had to use the key to get into my car. Then I pressed that button, lower left of the steering wheel and the car started!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just returned from a 29 day vacation. My 2020 Ioniq (6 months old) was parked at the airport the whole time. Reading all the horror stories of dead batteries I was really concerned, but it worked out fine. Car opened and started without issues.
I parked it with 55% charge and Auxilliary Battery Saver + feature turned on. I didn't get a notification when starting the car that the saver was used. Not sure if that means that the feature worked silently or it just didn't do it. When I left the car I made sure everything in the car was off and properly closed and nothing remained in the USB port. I was really relieved it worked out fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all

I have 2019 Ioniq hybrid. I went to the US and was stuck there for 6 months because of Covid. When I returned home (Philippines) i had to use the key to open the door. Tried starting, no go, so I push the button on the lower left side of the steering wheel and BINGO it started!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts