Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
In the PAST, it was recommended that gas be drained prior to leaving a car for a prolonged period of time. I forgot exactly what could happen to the gas.
Now, with our favorite car we may not use our tankkful for months!! So is there a potential problem with this?? (Letting gas sit for months in a tank??)
Ron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good question, Maybe adding a Fuel stabilizer, One product I know is called Stabil.
My plan is to use a tank full every 6 months, so 2 refills a year. My tank is currently half full from October purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good question, Maybe adding a Fuel stabilizer, One product I know is called Stabil.
My plan is to use a tank full every 6 months, so 2 refills a year. My tank is currently half full from October purchase.
I am not sure what happens with petrol but boat owners will be aware of the problem with Diesel (gasoil) engine's.

Recreational boats are often left unused for months at a time, the tank will "breathe" with changes in temperature and pressure. The air will have moisture in it and some may condense out, oil floats on water so the water ends up at the bottom of the tank and builds up over time. There are many additives sold to prevent this.

Boat owners therefore try to leave the tank full to minimise the breathing. Long time lack of movement is the real problem.

I do not know if the same effect can happen with petrol as their relative densities are different but if the car is used it is unlikely that the water can stay separated and will therefore be burnt off when the engine is used.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi all,
In the PAST, it was recommended that gas be drained prior to leaving a car for a prolonged period of time. I forgot exactly what could happen to the gas.
Now, with our favorite car we may not use our tankkful for months!! So is there a potential problem with this?? (Letting gas sit for months in a tank??)
Ron
How many months are we talking about, one or two is fine, anything longer than that, don't put ethanol blend. Besides, I thought these tanks were specially designed to carry same gas long term.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would go to your closest auto parts store and ask them. Im sure there are plenty of additives that will be good for that. Im sure they deal with vintage car owners a lot that store their car in the off season. I would check with some of those owners as well. They will have the best advice. Especially the ones that own “show cars”.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Vintage cars have leaky vintage gas tanks that are a far cry from the well sealed and pressurized tanks found in the Ioniq. They also have leaky carburetors that can gum up from evaporation of gasoline, also not a problem in the Ioniq. Fuel injectors are the sole source of any issues (mostly only if they leak) and there can only be trace amounts of gasoline remaining on them with engine off - the fuel lines leading up to them are pressurized.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vintage cars have leaky vintage gas tanks that are a far cry from the well sealed and pressurized tanks found in the Ioniq. They also have leaky carburetors that can gum up from evaporation of gasoline, also not a problem in the Ioniq. Fuel injectors are the sole source of any issues (mostly only if they leak) and there can only be trace amounts of gasoline remaining on them with engine off - the fuel lines leading up to them are pressurized.
good point on all aspects. Just thinking who would have a“solid” answer. I agree though, with todays technology, I wouldn’t be surprised if he will be fine adding nothing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Simple answer don't put so much in. I only ever put two gallons in unless there is a special offer. Recently did three months and over 1300 miles on a tankful without any issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about possibly investing in a small 1-2 gallon tank? Then like what David H said, only put a smal amount in, then when you get back, you will be able to give it some fresh gas without spoiling too much.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Each year, I leave a car for 8+months (August to April/May) in the warmth of the South of France without a problem. The fuel is a medium ethanol blend. The Citroen C3 car opens, starts first time and runs fine each time. I do keep a small Solar PV in the windscreen to keep the car trickle charging during the day. The car does about 800 miles between MOT's(Control Techniques), which are two years apart. That's similar to how far my PHEV runs the ICE.

As said above, modern car fuel systems are sealed. As you drive the PHEV in EV mode you are still sloshing about and mixing the fuel during your drives.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gasoline (aka petrol) will typically start to go bad after about 3 months.
It will start to gel shortly after that and I've noticed it actually smells different too.

I would say the 3 month guideline is reasonable, but ultimately dependent on ethanol content and environmental conditions.

Regardless, fuel stabilizer products can extend the life up to 2 years (e.g. Motul fuel stabilizer) and often have some fuel system cleaning properties.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Although not required by the Ioniq itself I fuel with high-test (Premium 100+), it has Zero ethanol so it won't breakdown like 85 or 87 does (10% ethanol). I figure I use so little "gas" it's worth the extra cost. My last fuel up was August the 31st, I've only used close to 8L since then and plan on adding fuel just before my next big road trip in April. I love my car....1100 miles on 2 gal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts