Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can answer this by trying but wondering if anyone has any tips.
ie. if using a long extension cord has a material effect on rate of charge, etc.
I'm in North America.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
197 Posts
Ioniq do not recommend extension cords for charging. Safety reasons.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
159 Posts
I don't recommend them either, but unfortunately that's the only way I have been able to charge my EV's for pretty much the past 3 years! If you do, periodically check the sockets and cables for heat. This is a huge warning sign that something is not wired up very good, so don't use it. Get it checked out. Set a low charging speed instead of the default 10A if you can.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
65 Posts
It's OK to use an extension cord so long as it is rated accordingly. Before getting my level 2 charger installed, I used a 15m extension cord on the level 1 charger. The cord is one I used on my RV years ago and is rated at 15A so is more than capable of supporting 10A on the level 1 charger.

This is the only time I've used the L1 charger so I cannot comment on efficiency loss. I got to charge at about 2.2kW so was happy enough with that.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
82 Posts
If done correctly it should not pose a risk. But you'll need an extension cable designed for outdoor use, as well as for the highest available current. The common everyday extension cord will be a potensial fire hazard.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
159 Posts
It's the sockets and plug connections that you have to watch out for. Especially old sockets will not be used to drawing so much power over many, many hours of charging. Even new build properties could have a shoddy job of the electrics being wired up not properly where a slightly under tightened screw holding in the wire inside a power outlet, although making a connection, the actual sockets can cause huge heat build up and potential fire.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
281 Posts
Unless your extension lead is 100s of meters long it won't have much effect. Make sure though it is heavy duty and at least 13A, not sure what it's like in canada but in the UK there are a lot of 10A extension chords sold (which shouldn't be sold in my opinion, as your average Joe isn't going to really know the difference)

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
ie. if using a long extension cord has a material effect on rate of charge, etc.
I'm in North America.
Ohms law dictates that you'll have some voltage drop in the extension cord, but you can minimize it by using a beefier cord. Working from home is so mentally stimulating that I went ahead and did the math:

In theory the North American level 1 charger delivers 1440 watts (120V * 12A) when set on max. What your car actually gets however includes the loss from your extension cord, the loss in the 14 AWG wiring between the outlet and your electrical panel, and the loss in the cabling of the level 1 charger (I don't recall what gauge or length it is and my wife's out with my car at the moment so I can't check); all of which can be pulled from the table above. (We'll assume that the wire between the pole transformer and your electrical panel is beefy enough that we don't need to care, but of course however many amps are pulled through that by all of the active loads in your house will be causing some voltage drop too.)

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited
21 Posts
I got my Ioniq in December and so I was charging in colder weather. I have seen the time estimate until full charge to be 34 hours. I therefore don't think the words "fast" and "level 1 charging" should appear in the same sentence. I use a 12 gauge 14 foot commercial grade extension cord.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Limited EV
17 Posts
I'm in North America.

I tested how fast a 2020 Ioniq EV (U.S. version) will charge on Level 1.

I have a 120V 20A outlet my EVSE (charger) is set to do 16A at 120V.

Car is showing a max of only 1.7kw on the dash (should be closer to 1.9kw)

My kill-A-Watt meter is showing around 15.35A which is around 1.8kw.

I have the charge rate set to maximum in the car settings.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
173 Posts
The charging efficiency is about 90%, as there are losses in the inverter and the rest of the electronics, resistance losses inside battery etc. So maybe the 1.7 is what's actually getting stored in the battery, while what you're using & being billed for is nearer to 1.9?

The EVSE advertises a fixed current value for the car to draw. Voltage doesn't come into it, so if your voltage drops for whatever reason, say 120->110V, then the power being drawn will drop as well.
1700/15.35 = 110.7 so maybe the EVSE is advertising 15.35 rather than precise 16.0, and your mains is at 110.7V so you're getting 1.7 kW from the grid? In which case the battery will be storing a about 1.53 kW rate.

Or maybe your voltage is 120V, EVSE offers 15.35A so grid is supplying 1.84 kW, but charger inverter at 90% efficiency can only store into battery at 1.66 kW call it 1.7?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
281 Posts
I got my Ioniq in December and so I was charging in colder weather. I have seen the time estimate until full charge to be 34 hours. I therefore don't think the words "fast" and "level 1 charging" should appear in the same sentence. I use a 12 gauge 14 foot commercial grade extension cord.
I presume that is on a 120v supply at around 16amps? That should still be about 1.7kW so 34 hours seems quite long. Is it really cold there, may be the battery heater is running, it is supposedly bad for the battery to charge if the battery is below freezing point, so likely the car either massively restricts the charge rate or it activates the battery heater.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq EV (Electric Blue)
15 Posts
I'm in North America.
When first got my 2019 Ioniq EV in May of 2020 I used the charger that came with the car until I got the level 2 charger installed 6 weeks later. From about 10% to full it consistently took about 22 hours the charge. The outlet was a fairly new (9 year old) 20 Amp circuit and I used a 12 gauge 25foot extension cord. I used a rubber gasket where the 2 cables (extension and charger) joined in case of rain.
With the level 2 charger I have now it takes about 4 hours from 10%. That is on a 50Amp 240v circuit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts