Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been covered before but I don't know.
We run our plugin on battery virtually all the time and we are down to 1 bar of petrol on the gauge after 2 months.
The display says we have 100km of distance left which is heaps but the car is demanding we fuel up.
I would rather run with minimal fuel, read weight, in the car to improve lecky distance. Every other car I have had has gone at least 50km after the gauge says zero. Anyone have experience with this with the Ioniq.
I don't really want to push it home, getting to old for that...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe this has been covered before but I don't know.
We run our plugin on battery virtually all the time and we are down to 1 bar of petrol on the gauge after 2 months.
The display says we have 100km of distance left which is heaps but the car is demanding we fuel up.
I would rather run with minimal fuel, read weight, in the car to improve lecky distance. Every other car I have had has gone at least 50km after the gauge says zero. Anyone have experience with this with the Ioniq.
I don't really want to push it home, getting to old for that...
I'm on the road right now @Chickenman and feeling techno-challenged that I can't seem to copy the link with my phone (although admittedly, I'm not as smart as it often leads me to believe) to share with you. At any rate, if you search "tried to run out of gas and failed" you'll find helpful info from @yticolev during his attempt. Really quite an interesting read!

·
Registered
508 Posts
For what it's worth I put 9 litres in sometime between 100 and 80km unless I have a special offer on petrol price when I put more in.
(i) I tend to work in miles and gallons and it is about two gallons.
(ii) It keeps the fuel reasonably fresh
(iii) and not too heavy
(iv) it stops the boss complaining and we are ready in case we have a long run in an emergency.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and thanks to @yticolev for the thread which perfectly and entertainingly covers the issue.
It would appear that I can comfortably run to zero before getting concerned. Our Audi would go down to -100 so -60 was when it was routinely refueled. My Kwaka will also get to -100 but depending in how you ride it it could drop to only -40. Easier to push than the Ioniq though.
There are 2 reasons why I see a benefit on running on fumes ( and I would dispute any mechanical claims made against yticolev); 1) less weight more EV mileage, and 2) most importantly I bought a EV, well plugin, to stay away from the petrol station. Same reason I run all my vehicles to empty; the less time spent on the forecourt the better.
I don't have to worry about the boss complaining beforehand because she knows how I am and I know that I will pay 10x over if it were to happen to her. Life is exciting living on the edge!!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
So my finding was that in my HEV that the gas tank holds about 9/10 gallon US more than the rated 11.9 gallons US capacity if topped off to the gas cap. I believe the PHEV may have a smaller tank. No matter, taking it below empty on the range display is pretty safe for 20 to 70 miles (winter versus summer) . In either the HEV or PHEV, actually running out of gas will put you in "limp" mode where your speed may be severely limited to extract maximum distance from the remaining battery energy. In the HEV which usually holds the displayed battery charge in the middle, this amounts to a minimum 3 miles. I suspect the PHEV will go further because even if the EV dedicated range is completely depleted, there is still more EV in reserve than the hybrid.

If you find yourself on a longish trip and have "forgotten" to fill up in a timely fashion and become nervous, I'd actually recommend putting it in Sport Mode which should add battery charge. While this technically will reduce range because it is less efficient, it will add miles to limp mode and allow you to go a bit further if you run out completely. This may allow better decisions about speed and destination if you enter limp mode and that could be more important than absolute possible distance and allow full speed before that without concern.

One argument that will no doubt develop in this thread against running on fumes that may be particularly relevant to the PHEV which may do it for an extended period is "stale" gas. Personally, I don't believe this is an issue with modern sealed tanks. Even island cars from the 70's that were only used a few months out of the year exhibited no issues in my experience. But some here do and suggest every once in a while adding a gallon to your tank if you are seldom using the ICE. Or even running the engine on purpose just to keep "the seals" and the whole thing lubricated and fuel moving. Not suggesting it, just playing devil's advocate as a skeptic before you hear it from a true believer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you on all counts.
I'm not concerned about ICE neglect as it generally runs every time the car is used if only for short bursts so I am sure it is staying in shape.
Also our driving habits are many short petrol free runs for weeks then maybe a 4-600km run (like over to a customer near the bushfires on New Years Eve) so we fill up before leaving and just run in Sport for the whole trip.
I would say we would be "poster boys" for the Plugin brethren as it fits our usage habits perfectly. There is no way we could get by with a BEV.
We have always had diesel vehicles but our current 4WD cost 1,000s to repair when the particulate filter clogged 2 times, luckily under warranty. Reason being too much chugging around town.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hear you on all counts.
I'm not concerned about ICE neglect as it generally runs every time the car is used if only for short bursts so I am sure it is staying in shape.
Also our driving habits are many short petrol free runs for weeks then maybe a 4-600km run (like over to a customer near the bushfires on New Years Eve) so we fill up before leaving and just run in Sport for the whole trip.
I would say we would be "poster boys" for the Plugin brethren as it fits our usage habits perfectly. There is no way we could get by with a BEV.
We have always had diesel vehicles but our current 4WD cost 1,000s to repair when the particulate filter clogged 2 times, luckily under warranty. Reason being too much chugging around town.
+1 on all of the above, and on Yticolev's (it's pretty hard to spell that backwards!) subject posts. The ICE turns on when we first start-up but only for a very short time - I suspect that is a function of the BMS, and serves to heat the battery. We run the PHEV on the battery almost all the time, and most trips are EV only. In the winter, SWMBO likes to turn on the cabin heat, and MPG decreases. I have (slowly) learned this is not something to complain about. We run the tank usually down to about 60 miles of range before a refill. Since getting the Ioniq almost one year ago, we have put 7,000 miles on the car, and have probably 4-5 fill-ups. My wife refuses to pump gas, so to save time, I just fill it to the top - the potential savings in MPG, due to lighter weight, is less important to us than the 550-630 (or more) mile full battery and full gas tank range.

We recently drove a 400 mile roundtrip and were able to top off the battery on both ends. With cabin heat on, and highway speeds, our mileage suffered, but was still excellent. And it's great to get home and still have tons of range.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
A gallon of gas weighs 6 pounds. The effect on mpg is real, but you won't be able to measure it. Topping off the tank, and running to empty every tank (not very practical of course) means an average weight of under 40 pounds during the course of the tank. So running lower (never filling it) means average weight somewhere between 40 and zero (impossible). So let's call it 20 pounds on average to run under filled tanks. That's a total average weight savings of 20 pounds. A little bit crazy making to worry about, and in fact, perhaps worse for the environment with more stops at the fuel station with released hydrocarbon vapors.

Of course, crazy takes many forms. I reduced the weight of my car by about a net of 50 pounds by removing the rear seats and remodeling the load floor. Done primarily to enable simultaneous carrying of bicycles with room left to sleep, but it does make me feel good that over the 10 to 20 years I plan to own the car that the savings will be significant. Now if I could only lose 20 excess pounds from me I'd be healthier and promote efficient driving at the same time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For several times now when my PHEV shows around 100km of ICE range left I fill up 36-38 liters of fuel. According to the manual the whole tank is 43 liters so it should be able to go to 0 km range and still have a liter or 2 in the tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes so I think going to zero before filling up should be no issue whatsoever. I guess the difference here is that in your ICE car as soon as you get the low fuel warning it is inevitable that you will run out whereas it is theoretically possible to never run the Ioniq out. Just a weird feeling of getting reminded to fuel up everytime you drive.
I'm not concerned about the weight and fill to full every time. I just want to stay away from the servo.
I too could afford to lose 20 lbs, or more, but life is too short and that cake has sailed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes so I think going to zero before filling up should be no issue whatsoever. I guess the difference here is that in your ICE car as soon as you get the low fuel warning it is inevitable that you will run out whereas it is theoretically possible to never run the Ioniq out. Just a weird feeling of getting reminded to fuel up every time you drive.
I'm not concerned about the weight and fill to full every time. I just want to stay away from the servo.
I too could afford to lose 20 lbs or more, but life is too short and that cake has sailed.
My only concern about running on fumes, since I live in the virtual high north is the possible formation of condensation which will freeze overnight and potentially clog the fuel system.
We tend to refuel at no less than 1/2 tank in the winter season.
🐧

1 - 13 of 13 Posts