Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Too late for you, but for other readers, you can get a good result with just the angle grinder. Stop about a quarter inch on your inward cut from where you show on your picture. On the long edge cut, use a greater than 90 degree angle to cut to the same spot. Now the angle grinder can round out that little bit of excess metal slowly (and carefully) until it fits the frame. It doesn't matter much on this piece but it is good practice to also shave off the sharp edges of the cut you made (which are also stress risers). I work on bicycles a lot and reducing stress risers on lightweight parts is critical. Will matter on this part as well if you actually tow like a BEV owner is talking about in another thread.

A muffler shop can braze a small piece on that part for just a couple of bucks. Two minute job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I’ve got a 2020, and it looks the same. I installed the Curt hitch, just let it squish down that tiny area of sheet metal. I am not an engineer, but i have worked with metal quite a bit, and I can’t see it being a problem. The hitch arrived a little bent inward, I bent it back out and it slipped over that flange just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also installed a Curt Trailer Hitch onto my 2019 Ioniq PHEV! With some trail and error with grinding around the notch from the sheet metal on the passenger side, it was able to bolt right up. I had to grind a little bit more than what I showed on the picture but just wanted to give you an idea of what you had to do to make the hitch from the hybrid work on the PHEV. Also added a picture of trimming the plastic trim on the driver side, if you want to keep that in place after the hitch is installed.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts