Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
5th Hyundai. That is as good of an endorsement as it gets.
Considering how crappy Hyundais used to be, more of statement of unwavering and unquestioning brand loyalty.

Story from the United State's collective memory: I still remember Rodney King's 1988 Hyundai Excel. No one believed the police who said they chased him at speeds of excess of 110 mph in 1991. Not only was that the beginning of widespread national attention to serious police brutality, but also to police dishonesty despite video evidence (if the 110 mph statement was not enough). The police were put on trial and acquitted in 1992 which led to the Los Angeles riots (was living there at the time, stayed up much of that night watching coverage).

With cell phones, such incidents being documented are now commonplace, but in 1991, video camera's were expensive and not easily taken out of a pocket.:D

Anyway, the Hyundai Excel was made infamous by that incident. Not in a good way, like the way that Bronco sales spiked after the videos of O.J. Simpson's slow speed police chase. No such luck for Hyundai despite lots of pictures of their car in the press.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I remember driving to Toronto in the mid 1980s (we lived in Rochester, NY at the time) and seeing several Hyundais - "Ponies", if I recall correctly - before they were ever available in the US. And if I recall correctly (again), the only Hyundai product I'd ever seen at that time, was a desktop computer.

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts
I rented a Hyundai Stellar in the mid to late 80's for a few weeks . It was basically a Ford Cortina ( UK ) clone and was brilliant car to drive and a lot cheaper than a Ford . I also rented a Hyundai Pony for a while , less impressed with that though .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts