Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one car review it was stated that Hyundai had said that the Ioniq Hybrid could use the EV motor up to 75mph.

The reviewer sort of shrugged it off saying that it wouldn't happen.

However, I've seen EV kick in at 70mph.

Has anyone been in EV mode at 75mph or close to it?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Mine has kicked in to EV mode at 70 too , maybe a little higher .To be honest I've not really paid that much attention . I've got a motorway trip coming up Monday maybe I'll try it then , if I'm feeling naughty :)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I assume it will be when you can be as light on throttle simply maitaining speed on a decline?
I tend to use the Pulse and Glide method , same as I used on my previous diesel . The low drag coefficient of the Ioniq helps to maintain speed on roads with no gradient . Obviously on an uphill gradient this doesn't work so well , but on a downhill gradient you can let the car go without touching the throttle and put some charge back into the battery

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
mine happily runs in EV at 70mph on the flat, any slight incline it flips back into hybrid, the main thing I see at that sort of speed is motor and ICE working together rather than full electric, but you have to have one of the energy displays on to see it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even at 135km/h (84mph) on cruise control I saw the EV light come on for about 10-20 seconds. Maybe it was slightly down-hill, but once I had seen it, I payed extra attention and it happened every now and then. Could not hear if the ICE was OFF at that speed.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, slight downhill the other day and 135km/h 84mph same as mxhans, mine was accelerating from 70 to 84 on electric for about 2 miles on the long slope with a very gentle right foot

as soon as the road flattened out it was back into hybrid mode

·
Registered
344 Posts
At least it's as active as it can be and not just a simple speed limit switch. The times it comes on can really be beneficial to how much you can get out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone been in EV mode at 75mph or close to it?
I've been test driving an Ioniq in Germany and tested the top speed at some point. The care made it to 185 km/h on the speedometer. Lane assist worked fine. The adaptive cruise control limits the power to 40% of the maximum available. So it can only keep about 165-170 km/h unless you drive downhill.
Battery is draining very fast. The car consumes around 50 kW when on full throttle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In one car review it was stated that Hyundai had said that the Ioniq Hybrid could use the EV motor up to 75mph.
I read through this thread and got confused by the answers because they are about the hybrid model. This entire thread was posted in the wrong section. This is the pure Electric section.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts