Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought my IONIQ this week. so far loving it. I have tested at least 2 different hybrids before I bought Ioniq, ford fusion and Prius. Deciding factor I am taking Ioniq over other car is the MPG and ride quality is pretty decent. Let's hope it is as reliable as Prius in the long run

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I think it's hard to get 57 mpg. Been driven my ioniq for about 277 US miles with overall 60 percent economic, 39 normal and 1 aggressive driving... and I got about real 51 MPG

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
51mpg on a new tight engine is not bad

give it a few thousand miles and you should be getting nearer 57mpg by then

how did you compare the mpg between the fusion, prius and Ioniq? was it the EPA mileage or the mpg you got on your test drives?

what put you off the prius? was it the styling? as many say that is the biggest thing they dislike about it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
51mpg on a new tight engine is not bad

give it a few thousand miles and you should be getting nearer 57mpg by then

how did you compare the mpg between the fusion, prius and Ioniq? was it the EPA mileage or the mpg you got on your test drives?

what put you off the prius? was it the styling? as many say that is the biggest thing they dislike about it
To be honest I can't tell for sure if manufacturers advertising about their MPG is really accurate, but if I have to guess based on my driving style and limited testing of these 3 cars, ford fusion would be somewhere around 38MPG-45MPG avg, while prius and Ioniq averaged about 50-55MPG.

I think what put me off of Toyota Prius is their warranty other than looks. Toyota asks more money and less warranty so I go with Ioniq.
I really don't get it what is wrong with Prius style really, I think it is decent... not the best, but decent in my opinion; and plus, Toyota's interior is a bit stylish than Ioniq. If Toyota can match Hyundai's offering at that time (price and warranty), I may be a Prius two owner than Ioniq :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's interesting you are the first to mention the warranty when comparing prius to ioniq

what are the difference with the warranty that helped you choose the ioniq ?
In The US, Hyundai warranty is 5 years limited, 10 Years powertrain and lifetime warranty on battery for first owner

Toyota on the other hand only offer 3 years limited, 5 years powertrain and most definitely not lifetime warranty on its battery... I believe is between 8-10 years for battery depending on what states you live in

More warranty for less money, that is why I drive Ioniq now

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's a bit of history here. 1990s-era Hyundais in the US were HORRIBLE. I had a '93 Elantra which was, quite frankly, a piece of junk; after I got rid of it, I swore I'd never drive a Hyundai again. I was far from the only Hyundai owner who had that reaction; at one point it seriously looked like Hyundai was going to completely lose their market here.

I have to give them a LOT of credit. Instead of pretending the problem didn't exist, they sat down, took a good hard look at themselves, figured out what they were doing wrong and fixed it. The quality improved dramatically; unfortunately the brand had already taken a beating in the public eye.

So they came out with the best standard warranty in the country. Most car makers offer 3 years/36k miles; Hyundai offers 5 years/60k miles. (You can buy up on both.)

When I was looking for a Matrix and discovered that the Elantra Touring was cheaper while better equipped, I had to think about it for a long time. But I figured that if Hyundai was so confident that it'd stand behind its cars for two extra years and 14k extra miles, I could take a chance. So I did, and I'm glad for it; the Ioniq was the fourth Hyundai I've purchased.

My dealer tells me the warranty is what has drawn a lot of 1990s-era Hyundai owners and skeptics back into the fold.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
similar to me, I do high mileage (30,000+ / year) I used to drive skoda's (part of VW) for 15 years, they only gave 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty, so when I looked at Hyundai and saw 5 year unlimited mileage (in UK) I looked closer and like the spec and price

also the 2015 i20 (not sure what US equiv is) had decent styling and equipment, so I settled on that, the previous model of the i20 and other models in my price range looked horrible, now the Ioniq and the new i30 (elantra in US I think) have carried it on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts