Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying hi.

Interested in the Ioniq Electric or may be the Plugin. Not sure yet as I am not sure about the range of the EV. But looking at my past travel, I figure the EV will work for me and the fuel and maintenance saving should allows me to rent a car if I do need to do a long trip.

The only thing I really worry about is the winter here and the effect on the mileage. I was joking to my son the other day that I always fill up my gas car with the range gets down under 150km and now I am contemplating to get a car with about 150-200km range :).

Check with a couple of Hyundai dealer here and they said they have no info at all about when and if the Ioniq will be sold at all and said don't expect it probably until 2018 or even 2019. So I might have to look for something else instead which is a bummer...:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am also looking at the Prius Prime as I liked the look and I really like the inclusion of all the safety features as standard whereas the rumor is that only the top trim has some of the safety feature and the Auto Lane Keep is not even going to be available here in Canada/US which is a bummer. Of course I will have to wait until Hyundai Canada release price and feature information to decide but judging from what I got from the dealers. I may have to get the Prius Prime or the Volt when I need to get a new car.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a hybrid so can't really help with the Full EV or PHEV and also live in the UK so I'm in fact no help to you at all lol There is however another post about the Ioniq in Canada and others here have the full EV so hopefully will reply with some answers for you :)

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Interested in the Ioniq Electric or may be the Plugin. Not sure yet as I am not sure about the range of the EV. But looking at my past travel, I figure the EV will work for me and the fuel and maintenance saving should allows me to rent a car if I do need to do a long trip.

The only thing I really worry about is the winter here and the effect on the mileage.

Welcome here! Did you already check this thread about the range? Various experiences are reported there among which Winter experiences in Norway and Finland.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check with a couple of Hyundai dealer here and they said they have no info at all about when and if the Ioniq will be sold at all and said don't expect it probably until 2018 or even 2019. So I might have to look for something else instead which is a bummer...:(
If you look at the "Ioniq arrived in canada" it looks like the Hyundai electric will be arriving some time in April or May. There's at least one person on the forum that has already made a deposit on the electric model and is waiting for it to arrive.

Also note that if you were looking into the plugin, that model unfortunately isn't scheduled for release in Canada until the end of the year.

Also it seems that unfortunately that a lot of the dealerships are kind of clueless about the Ioniq and when it's arriving. That a lot of them are mixing up the hybrid, electric and plugin models and when each is arriving.

I've found similar confusion at Toyota dealerships when I was looking into the Prius Prime as well. Some figured it would only be a 2018 model in Canada and I was told that the Prius Prime was going to be released only to California this year. They were quite surprised when I informed them that while they have limited supply, people are buying the Prius Prime across the US.

It just seems that dealerships see plugins and electric as being very niche. They don't think they are going to sell that many and as a result a lot of them are not very informed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What will help in following its launch is asking mechanics if they went for training on these, typically that happens well before launch and while the techs can't give out too much information, odds are you'll get a simple "yes, i went for training" response,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just saying hi.

The only thing I really worry about is the winter here and the effect on the mileage. I was joking to my son the other day that I always fill up my gas car with the range gets down under 150km and now I am contemplating to get a car with about 150-200km range :).

Hello, I'm from Ottawa too!

I've come to the same conclusions as you for the most part. I'll just rent a van for camping, but otherwise ioniq's range will work for everything. Also, Ontario is installing a lot of fast chargers, so my occasional trips to Toronto will be fine.

Surgenor Hyundai told me they're getting an EV around the end of the month.

Cheers,
Marcel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

I might go check it out although I probably won't be getting one until near the end of the year.

Hunt Club is the one with no idea if or when it will come. Not sure if end of March is correct as there is still no price, spec information at all. And end of March is barely 1 week from now

One of the hangup I have is the winter range. I know about the range in Norway/Sweden but this is Ottawa which I believe is a fair bit colder. Would really love to have an EV with a winter range of 200km, summer 250km. May be my feeling of unease regarding range will go away once I actually own an EV.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
It will depend much on the speed you want to drive. If it is up to 90 km/h, and you apply preheating, I think there will be a good chance you still will be able to get the 200 km winter range. But if you want to drive 120 or 130 km/h, I think it will be difficult. Then you better can wait for the next version Ioniq with larger battery announced for the end of 2018.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Most of my driving are in town under 85km/hr, only once in a while will I use the highway and I usually only do between 100-110 especially in the winter so I guess I will be ok.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When the site driver.ca was reviewing the Ioniq in Kelowna, BC and it had just snowed and the temperature dropped. Here's what they mentioned about the winter range to give you an idea of what it would be like.

With the heat turned up to high, the two front seat heaters on and the rear defrost activated, the full-charge display went from 197 to 160 kilometres, still more than any EV apart from a Tesla could boast until this model year without any heat on.
Meanwhile, here is where you can find out about EV chargers in Ontario. The province of Ontario says that they should have 500 charging stations by the end of 2017, with around 200 Level 3 fast-charging stations and 300 level 2. If you look at the map they are putting these stations around cities and highways, even going up north. Last December the province announced a deal with Canadian Tire to add charging stations to their gas stations, mainly focusing on their rest areas by the highways.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
When you preheat the car from the wall, so that it is warm at 21 or 22 °C when you leave, during the driving you will not need the heater on full capacity, but more like at a power level of at most 1 kW to maintain the temperature (maybe even at a lower level of 18 or 19 °C). When you drive for two hours, this will take at most 2 kWh from the 28 kWh full charge. This is at most 7% loss of charge and of range, which is at most 14 km less from 200 km.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just saying hi.

New here - also from Ottawa / Kanata

Interested in the pure electric - frustrated with lack of information. Saw the car at the auto show and wish to buy but no details on price or availability. Wondering if anyone in Canada/Ottawa is finding success. Which dealers are good? I have contact with Myers Kanata.

Hyundai Canada has claimed not sooner than April for the electric but no track record to measure them on.

Does anyone know if they have even landed in Canada and how many ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
When the site driver.ca was reviewing the Ioniq in Kelowna, BC and it had just snowed and the temperature dropped. Here's what they mentioned about the winter range to give you an idea of what it would be like.

Meanwhile, here is where you can find out about EV chargers in Ontario. The province of Ontario says that they should have 500 charging stations by the end of 2017, with around 200 Level 3 fast-charging stations and 300 level 2. If you look at the map they are putting these stations around cities and highways, even going up north. Last December the province announced a deal with Canadian Tire to add charging stations to their gas stations, mainly focusing on their rest areas by the highways.
The Ioniq Electric has a built-in function that does all that for you. There is a large icon that identifies the distance to the closest charger. If you click it icon, it will list the nearest charging stations, to each of which it can direct you using the Satnav.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts

Interested in the pure electric - frustrated with lack of information. Saw the car at the auto show and wish to buy but no details on price or availability. Wondering if anyone in Canada/Ottawa is finding success. Which dealers are good? I have contact with Myers Kanata.

Hyundai Canada has claimed not sooner than April for the electric but no track record to measure them on.

I'll know more about the answers to that question (if there are any) tomorrow. I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mariopants, does the Ioniq Electric has 3G/4G in car? Since the charging station situation in Ontario changes as more charges come online, how's is the car database bring updated?
I read this morning that the almost 500 public chargers are suppose to be online this Friday but quite a few will not be ready due to various reasons.

OTOH, anyone know where to find public charging rates once they are operational?

I downloaded PlugShare, ChargePoint, ChargeHub and have been playing with the app

·
Registered
88 Posts

Hi @PSWilson : I just stopped in at surgenor on st Laurent - they have the hybrid and the electric from the auto show. They can't sell them yet because the electric is waiting for the 12V lithium battery, and they don't have pricing yet, but I was able to sit in them and check them out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi @PSWilson : I just stopped in at surgenor on st Laurent - they have the hybrid and the electric from the auto show. They can't sell them yet because the electric is waiting for the 12V lithium battery, and they don't have pricing yet, but I was able to sit in them and check them out.
Thanks for the information

I saw the car at the auto show (did my sitting there) and curious if any dealers in the west end will be some of the first to sell it (and when). I believe it is a great car and meets my needs but can anyone get one (and when)?

Been waiting on Myers Kanata and rather not go further than Myers Bells Corner (my next stop)

Also curious how many people in Ottawa are looking and serious about the car sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts