Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone from western canada.
As are most here, I am interested in the Hyundai Ioniq. However i am also interested in it's sister car, the Kia Niro. Although they are two distinct form factors, I'm pretty sure that they share the engine/drivetrain.
I have been lurking and following a few threads and I find that I may have some questions of my own.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a place to share info, advice, and adventures.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill . Yep they share the same drivetrain . I also looked at the Niro but I don't think the level of tech was a good for the money and a slightly smaller boot and poorer fuel efficiency . And SUV styling is getting so passe ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...they're hyping the cross america guiness world record fuel economy. And the Ioniq is rated higher?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kia Niro shares same drivetrain as Ioniq Hybrid. But note they have different performance and efficiency characteristics (Ioniq's are better). Also note there is no Kia Niro Electric or Niro PHEV. The Ioniq Electric is already out in Europe and US, soon to be released in Canada. The Ioniq PHEV is due for worldwide release in Fall.2017.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We happen to have one of each, Ioniq and Niro, both hybrids. Very similar cars with identical drivetrains.
I prefer driving the Ioniq on the highways and yet the Niro is handier around town due to the slightly higher seating position and correspondingly easier entry & exit. The Ioniq has better fuel economy and less wind drag and noise.
The Niro benefits from having the options of a roof rack and a tow bar, although the latter is ridiculously expensive. The Niro also has better splash guards, larger wheels and a plastic protector along the length of the car, presumably offering better protection against gravel and stone nicks.
They're surprisingly nice cars, both, and great value for money.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts