Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I join the forum because I want to replace my old car with a new one. What I'm looking for is a comfortable car to ride on motorway twice in a week (about 180-250 km) and dayly use to work (about 60-70 km). I'm waiting for the IONIQ plug-in and hope that it can replace my old car.
My favorite color is the marina blue with the light grey interior. Panorama sunroof should be on!
Hope reading soon over the plug-in, too.
Ciao, Stefano (yes, I'm also an italian speaking guy!)
P.S: I already owned a 100% EV car 17 years ago. It was a Peugeot 106 electric and I miss my electric car because I like to travel without the noise of the engine (and the vibrations of it).

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
you beat me to it, I just posted a welcome and please introduce yourself, but you already done it :)

Have you had a test drive of an ioniq yet?

its very quiet if you are coming from a diesel, and I haven't noticed any vibrations from engine or transmission

the plugin I due late Q2 for most countries from what I have seen

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome BMW528!

Are you looking at any other cars, besides the Ioniq?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi bluecar1 & asfafa

Yes I already had a drive test with a hybrid one and with an electric, too.
I was surprized on the DCT and I really enjoyed the drive test with the IONIQ. On the hybrid I eared a lot the noise from the back (empty boot and cover not closed). On both I directly find and feel my seat position and loved the electric one, but unlike the noise of the motor converter (some sound like a train when you start). I like the electric handbrake on the electric, too. Why hyundai didn't simply put on all IONIQ the same electric hand brake?

And yes, I'm looking around and will test the VW Passat GTE, too (next Monday). I want to test the KIA optima plug-in, too (sister of the Hyundai sonata that is not sold in Europe). I already tested the KIA niro hybrid (same platform like the IONIQ), but I don't like the SUVs. Another car that I want to test drive is the new Toyota Prius plug-in. I don't like the shape of it, but the technique should be very good.

My actually cars are: BMW 528i sedan '97 5-gear automatic (E39) with 401'500 km, MINI one D (diesel) F56, 2015 with 31'000 km and Hyundai i20 1.4 automatic, 2014 with 65'000 km.

I want to replace all 3 with only one comfortable car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tested the VW Passat GTE... 523 km driven, 47% on "zero emission" (pure electric), but 27 liter gas! The car say 5.0 l/100km... yes, but I only drive 278 km on fuel; it mean there is a fuel consumption of about 10 l/100km, while 245 km I drive the car on electricity!!!
Definitively NOT a car for me.
Positive point: very comfortable car, no interior noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's probably because a plug-in doesn't work like a conventional hybrid - once the batteries are empty, you are literally carrying 350-400kg dead weight, supported by your small petrol engine. Something to bear in mind if you are not able to recharge daily or going for long trips often.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my opinion the pure electric mode is my favorite.

The problem is always the range in highway long trip. In Switzerland we have a lot of mountain and even the highways have a lot of hills. Traveling at 120 km/h on a hill in pure electric mode use a lot of energy (in winter time is even worst). The range of the EV ioniq is too short for my standard use. It could be interessing if it was 400-500 km.

In the case of my choice would be on a pure electric car, then the opel apera-e (chevrolet bolt) could be a good choice. With 60 kW Batteries it car reach "my" range. I know, the ioniq has 28 kW Batteries and can do better compared to the opel/chevy... but for my daily use a range of 280 km (I presume 160-180 km in winter with highway hills and heating) is a too short range.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The hybrid could be a good solution for you, considering the strict speed limits that you have in CH. Uphill the ICE would work a lot, but then you could recuperate that on your way down.
My brother got a fine for driving 1 (one) kmh over the speed limit past a camera in ZH! Insane :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I don't write any post more since a lot of time.

I drove two days a IONIQ electric and it's definitively not good for me. It's a very good car to drive and I love it, but for my use the actually range is not enough.

On the highway (hill to S.Gotthard) @ 120 km/h the engine need 47 kW. After 15 minutes drive I had almost half empty battery! If you run @ 80 km/h you only need 24 kW (half!).

I made another short test with the hybrid and should say it's an interessing car. More precise than the electric to cornering @ 60-80 km/h, I like it! Now I'm really waiting the plug-in version that sounds very good for me.

I'll see in July... if it will be here!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I thought the plugin would work like the EV and hybrid where it would use the regen braking and starter/generator to revert to hybrid mode once the bulk of power was used in the battery
I guess the issue with the plugin is that you may not be likely to get it recharged enough on average over normal driving conditions.....and if you were too then you would not get the same efficiencies and environmental benefits as charging at home. So whilst I assume it works like you say BC then its going to see a net reduction in charge over the journey that needs topping up at the end. Especially as its got a bigger motor so can make more use of the motor alone than our poor standard hybrids.

On the "normal" hybrid the uphills eat battery that are offset by the downhills charging...in the plugin the car can drive all the way without needing to charge...so its a more uneven potential duty cycle. Of course the car could simply behave as the normal hybrid but then why carry the extra battery/motor

Hadnt really thought about it much until your post got me thinking BC :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@bluecar: it'll be a dream if the regen pads will be on the plug-in model, too.

I don't think it will be an issue (not fully charge the battery) because there are LiPo Battery that are not designed to be cycled.. it's even better when they are not cycled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the site:
http://batteryuniversity.com

You can read about Lithium based Battery:

"The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought my Ioniq today (Electric Blue Metallic).

I have been a former Prius owner (3, in fact), but the lower pricing and better MPG were strong factors.

As much as I appreciate the better MPG, I am also attracted by the technology built into this car. I bought the SEL trim with the Tech package. I got a lot of bang for my buck!

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Welcome Bluirv!
I also also came from a Prius, but only 1, not 3.
Can you tell a bit more about your daily driving patterns?

Did you already give info in the Member map thread so that you can be added to the map?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts