Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I got the car last Sunday, brand new, drove it for 10 days (about 830 km), and yesterday, while driving, the "HEV check hybrid system" message came on, along with the usual yellow "check engine" light. The red battery warning light came on and off several times, the air conditioning and the autonomic safety systems stopped working. I stopped the car and had it towed to the service station. After reading some of the related threads here, I saw that it can range from a minor software bug to weeks of waiting for parts. Now it is at the dealer's service station, I will update when more will be known.

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
welcome danielkrt

please introduce yourself on the New Member Introductions - Hyundai Ioniq Forum thread

that is not a good start to your ownership

that seems to suggest a battery or possibly inverter fault, but lets see what the dealer says, I suspect they will have to get Hyundai involved as many dealers around the world have little experience of diagnosing some of these faults

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got the diagnosis

Hello and thanks,

The dealer just called me back and said that they want replace the entire electric drive motor. I told them that I do not want a car with such a record, that after 10 days we had to change the electric engine. I will have trouble selling it later, so I told them I want them to replace the car. Now I am awaiting the reply of the management.

I must say that this quite bothers me, to the level of considering returning it and getting a different car. Does anyone know how often the electric engine fails?

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
In total on the forum we gave had 2-3 electric motor failures, all within a short period after delivery, once sorted seem to be good, mi car has covered 18,000 miles with no issue, and I have not seen any reports of motor failures later on in life so far and we have a number of high mileage cars on the forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I pressed them for the specific failure in the motor unit, they said that there was a loose seal inside, and because the car is new they replace the entire unit and not just the seal.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
That's different, the others where we have got an answer have been"a short circuit in the motor" I wonder if the seal is the cause of the short circuits? Or they are just replacing the motor as advised by Hyundai?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke to them again, they said that improper seal can cause contamination of the drive unit and lead to short circuits. They didn't tell me if mine was short circuited, only said that they have to change the entire unit. Perhaps such contamination is irreversible.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
ah, seems like we are getting to the bottom of the motor failures :)

so is there a batch of faulty seals? or was a batch not installed correctly ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I believe the short circuit being in their heads. What a crap story. They dont have the slightest clue whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
I believe the short circuit being in their heads. What a crap story. They dont have the slightest clue whats going on.
not helpful rene

we have a new member who has saved hard and bought their first new car and it has a problem, they don't want people telling them the manufacturer does have a clue when they have come here for help and assistance

we have several members now being told the issue is a short on the electric motor, so until we have evidence to the contrary we need to accept the dealers diagnosis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my car back

Hello all,

An update:

So far the dealer treated me well. They gave me a new Tucson for a loaner and the car was fixed in a day. It runs fine now but I cannot say that I haven't lost some faith in the idea of a brand new car, which was supposed to provide me with a couple of worry and garage free years, except for regular maintenance. I will still demand the car to be replaced, maybe I'll ask for a newer batch.

The faulty part was the electric drive. They showed it to me and at the time I didn't think to take a picture of it to show you. From what I recall, it looked like the "permanent magnet electric motor" in the picture, which goes between the petrol engine and the transmission. They claim to have installed a better version than the faulty one they replaced, from a later batch.

The dealer said that a compensation will be in order, so we are waiting for the offer.

The one thing I do find weird is that they didn't have to wait for the electric motor unit, which means they had one in storage (perhaps a national storage, but still). Does that mean that this happens often? It is highly unlikely that the part is not new. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
i do now wonder if it was a batch issue and they have placed a few spares local in each market to resolve this quickly

the motor failures are a recent issue and on new vehicles, none of older original stock seems to have been affect, so hopefully like the 12v battery issues on the early cars it is only a few affected and a relatively small number of vehicles

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealer said that a compensation will be in order, so we are waiting for the offer.
Daniel, any follow-up on a compensation package? I agree with you that you wouldn't want to show a blemish like an engine replacement on the vehicle's permanent history record. It sounds like they have behaved commendably towards getting you both back on the road and making sure the problem as-a-whole is fixed. I hope everything went well for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welp, my turn. Just happened to me. I had the car parked outside for 5 days in the cold without driving it, so I assumed that was the issue, but from what I see on this forum, perhaps not. Calling the dealer today... Less than 1500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI mine turned out to be a recall related to software, took them maybe an hour to fix, and required no parts. If people are interested I can dig up the receipt that has a bit more explanation. I'll update if this happens again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happened again. Drove great for one day and then I got the check hybrid nonsense. I'm calling the dealer later today :( Its interesting because when it happens, I can tell that I'm definitely only using the gas engine, so at a stoplight I can restart and get power from the electric motor again (sometimes for the rest of my drive, other times only briefly before the electric motor wigs out again).

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
that sounds electronic, there is a recall on some cars the water/coolant affecting the hybrid power control unit (HPCU), first thing is a pressure test, if it fails that then parts are required

main thing would be to get it to the dealer for them to check the fault codes, have a chat with them and see if they want it with the fault code still on screen, as sometimes restarting the car clears the fault and they are left scratching the head (or other lower body part) trying to work out the fault

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.