Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 HEV never has gotten above 2/3 charged. Usually stays between 1/3 and 1/2 charged. Is this normal?
Currently have 3000 miles on the car, I love it, but wondering if I should be concerned. Due for service in 500 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine seems to prefer to hit a charge level of one or two pips above 1/3rd. If the charge level is higher than that, it moves into EV mode readily.

At first I found this a bit disturbing, because on my Prius beforehand, it appeared designed to try and achieve 80% charge or above, and would tend to keep the ICE running to achieve it. I thought the Ioniq might be faulty until I realised its behaviour was consistent, and the fuel economy was at least as good as the Prius had been.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This behavior is suitable for longevity of lithium ion batteries. I've done a fair bit of research on lithium technology. These batteries will degrade far quicker when the SoC is higher than 50% for a period of time. The amount of time at a higher voltage also plays a big role. I believe the effect is exponential as voltage increases. Basically a process called plating is more likely to occur when the batteries are close to their maximum capacity.

These batteries will last far longer if they are kept around half charged as opposed to how we typically treat lithium batteries on mobile devices (charging to full and draining).

The BMS on the Ioniq has these characteristics in mind, no doubt. The only trade off is more frequent start ups.

I would also expect the PHEV to experience accelerated battery degradation (compared to the hybrid) if the car is charged to full every day. And in contrast, the PHEV battery would probably last the longest if it were only used like a hybrid, where the charge level pretty much stays at 33% as far as I know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I believe what you are experiencing is normal. The engineers at Hyundai have put a lot of time into maximizing battery longevity. That is why they have such a long warranty. The type of LIon battery used in the Ioniq is unique and has charging/discharging characteristics different than your cell phone battery. I have rarely seen my charge level go above 1/2. When it does the electric motor tends to take over more often.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you drive down a mountain the charge might hit 100% from regenerative braking, otherwise it tends to stay below 50%.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Two comments: one is that the battery charge display is not the actual SOC. Second is that only Gen4 Prii have lithium batteries. All other Prii (and a couple current models) have NiCad batteries with entirely different BMS. NiCads have a memory effect that can reduce their effective capacity if only charged part way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
...All other Prii (and a couple current models) have NiCad batteries with entirely different BMS. NiCads have a memory effect that can reduce their effective capacity if only charged part way.
Not NiCad, NiMH. NiMH doesn't have the old NiCad type memory effect, and the Prius battery management system doesn't have any issues with discharging/partially recharging the batteries (at least in my Gen 2 and 3 models). It does have to be said however that (as I suspect with the Ioniq), the Prius State of Charge indicator does not reflect total battery condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My personal experience with my 2019 HEV is it usually sits a little bit within the 2nd third charge area. Once when driving down a very long mountain rd from top to bottom for miles my battery was so full it could not take a charge any more. At that time the engine started and I am guessing why here, because the charging unit got so hot and needed to cool off. But if someone really know why the car runs when it can no longer be charged I sure would love to know. Regardless holding the brakes down far enough to allow the regenerative charging unit to slow down the car while at the same time charge the car was no longer working. I had to place the car into the sport mode and down shift the transmission to a lower gear and allow the engine compression to brake/slow the car. Once I got onto the flat surface and drove around on the battery and lowered the stored charge then the regenerative charger started to work again. By the way in this warmer weather around 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit I am starting to see average mileage around 61+ mpg and my all time high was 67mpg. My daily driving is in the Lake Stevens Washington with a lot of hills and some highway driving. Yes I have a lot foot and focus on as much regenerative braking as possible. The mountain road where my battery fully charged was coming down from the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center in the Olympic Peninsula outside of Port Angeles, Washington, USA. https://goo.gl/maps/CumArmqFBZnN9d3z8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Once when driving down a very long mountain rd from top to bottom for miles my battery was so full it could not take a charge any more. At that time the engine started and I am guessing why here, because the charging unit got so hot and needed to cool off. But if someone really know why the car runs when it can no longer be charged I sure would love to know. https://goo.gl/maps/CumArmqFBZnN9d3z8
I had the same experience when driving down a mountain. I could feel the car shoot forward when the soc reached 100%. As a safety measure the ICE is started in order to enable engine breaking. Otherwise the brake pads might overheat if you keep on pressing the brake pedal.

Next thing for me was to switch to sport mode and downshift to do some extra engine breaking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2019 HEV never has gotten above 2/3 charged. Usually stays between 1/3 and 1/2 charged. Is this normal?
Currently have 3000 miles on the car, I love it, but wondering if I should be concerned. Due for service in 500 miles. Thanks
I was at my dealer and was informed there is a recall for programming the batteries, check recalls, this may (or may not) help

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a big problem with my Hyundai ioniq hybrid HEV 2018
The battery jumped
I can't start on and drive
No light come inside when I try to switch on the key and I tried to charge it from other car but still not charge it. Also, I tried to make battery reset. And I ask the local dealer but they didn't know how to start on. They said you have to wait for one month more to bring a connector charger from Korea.
Now the car more than 2 months stopping not drive or move.
Do you have a way to start on?
Please help me
If you want to contact in email:
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts