Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, 2020 Ioniq Blue with 6500 miles started making this strange noise at startup. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it’s definitely noticeable. Has anybody encountered this? I have an appointment with the dealership coming up and hopefully can get some answers. Here is a link to the sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Think you need to go somewhere without the car alarms and background sounds making a racket. :( Identify where the sound is the noisiest then do a recording. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think you need to go somewhere without the car alarms and background sounds making a racket. :( Identify where the sound is the noisiest then do a recording. (y)
I’ll definitely try and get a cleaner recording, its just it doesn’t make the noise all the time so it’s a little difficult to get it in action. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Hybrid SEL
4 Posts
Sounds like the throttle valve to me. Likely just doing a self-learn. Pretty common on any car with a drive by wire system, there is a stepper motor (or servo motor) on the throttle valve. Similar motors are used in print head on inkjet printers, hence the similar sound. It opens and closes to adapt itself on deviations for the position control, and/or to make sure it is clear (of ice or carbon build up for example) and functioning properly between the open and close positions.

I'm not certain you have a problem, and I personally wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it is louder than it should be, probably won't be able to tell over a video. Hopefully the dealer could compare to another car for reference, if it really is louder than I'm imagining.

You'll get a check engine light if a mechanical/electrical problem comes up, since it is monitored by the on-board diagnostic system and critical for engine operation. Most cars I have been in/around are pretty audible if you know what to listen for, especially so if you have the hood open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts