Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the actual hp required for the Ioniq to go 60 mph is around 10 hp. That makes 1.6 hp added power needed pretty significant. For low intermittent use by UK drivers, it might not be noticeable over a full tank. But Florida drivers?
I must admit that I was taking a UK-centric view (where aircon compressors do not run constantly).

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq HEV Limited
18 Posts
I bought my 2020 hybrid limited in July and am getting 38-42. My 12 year old Prius got 38-42 and was rated at 48/45 (and my driving style didn't suddenly change), so I expected much more from a new car rated at 55 combined. The dealer said to reset the fuel economy when I get gas, but I have always had it set to automatically do that. I did it manually a few times and no change. I guess I'll take it back again, but I doubt there's anything they can do. I guess Toyota just makes a much better hybrid.

I like everything else about the car except that the front sensors go haywire when I'm sitting still in traffic. No one's moving, and I am not close enough to anyone for the sensors to be going off.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
There are my 5 cents: Bought this car one month ago and this is my first long trip.
I traveled for 3600 miles on my Ioniq hybrid and got only about 35 MPG and sometimes 32 MPG. Tires are 17th, gas 87th, tire pressure 42PCI. Average speed was 66 mph. Most of the time I was on cruise mode. Temperature was about 40 to 77 F. No handbrake or check engine light. And my driving style is not aggressive at all. Sometimes when battery charge on flat road was only two positions down- transmission started to shift on lower gear back and forth (from my observation).
Is that normal MPG?
Just in case I replaced yesterday spark plugs on new iridium, although old ones were in good shape.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Average speed is 66 mph? Does that mean you are cruising at 80 to 90 mph most of the time? I think we've found the issue!

But additionally: 17" tires have lower efficiency. Check your mpg by calculating it every time you fill up your tank. All cars get very different mpg at 40 degrees versus 77 degrees - approximately 20% different. Is this the daily difference? Why did you replace your spark plugs at 3,600 miles? is this a used car you just bought?

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
Thanks for reply "yticolev". So you are trying to say that Ioniq is suitable only in cities and not on interstates/highways?
I bought it used and 17" tires are original from Hyundai production line. And "Yes" - my cruise control was set to 80 mph all the time.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
So you are trying to say that Ioniq is suitable only in cities and not on interstates/highways?
You posted a query about your poor mpg. Speed looks to be the primary issue and I mentioned a couple other possibilities that do not reflect on the car itself. If you compare your results to prior car, I'd bet they are far better. So your Ioniq would then be more suitable by that criteria. In fact, up to its limits, the Ioniq is ideal for fast driving because of its excellent aerodynamics.

Still, a 66 mph average is incredible. I once averaged about 70 mph over a 1,000 mile day back in the late 1970s including stops. But I was cruising at an indicated 95 mph on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
Thanks again Yticolev. Basically that means that I can do nothing to improve my MPG 😟

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Sure you can. Drive slower! Getting 15" wheels is a significant improvement in mpg as well. Check your oil viscosity. You will get an automatic boost as weather warms up.

There is a possibility that your transmission hunting was related to a head wind. Imagine going 80 mph with a 20 mph headwind (intermittent to match your comments). That a huge power requirement. Anytime I get an mpg result that doesn't seem to correlate with driving conditions, I check my weather app. Wind is always the villain, or hero. Aways be suspicious when driving west as prevailing winds are usually from that direction, especially in the west and midwest.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
Ok, I will try to use 0 - 16 oil viscosity instead of 0 - 20 and will adapt my driving speed a little bit too. Also will check all wheel bearings and brake release. Thanks for advices.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
In the past, going to a newly introduced lower viscosity oil has been fine. Not sure if the same applies to 0W-16. Car engines have to be specifically designed for it (which is also what they said in the past). I was tempted myself, but I think I'm going to pass unless Hyundai issues statement of acceptability.

·
Registered
2020 IONIQ Blue Hybrid (Essential, Base Model)
2 Posts
Hi,
I bought my 2020 in late December 2020 so it is only 4 months old and has 6500 km on it now.

I've been very unhappy with the gas mileage so far. The advertised mileage when I bought it was 4.2 L/100Km for both city and highway. I usually drive it highway about 80% of the time at between 100 to 110 Km/h. The usual trip is 120Km each way each week and then it sits in the driveway a lot of the time.

The issue seems to be during the cold period at startup. The instantaneous gas mileage during the warmup period is between 10 and 30+ L/100Km. Per the manual I get in and drive it normally and don't let it sit and idle until it is warm. I drive it gently with around 92 economical and the rest normal driving.

See the figure below after driving it back from the 1st servicing at the dealership.

The trip was about 15 minutes with a mix of city and 80Km/hr highway. The first segment was over 15 L/100Km. with an overall trip of 5.8 which is much greater than the 4.2. It is 10 deg C and heat was off.

When it is cold out (e.g. < 0 C ) the 15 L/100 km dots carry on for a while. Some trips it has taken over 30 minutes to get the car warm with a 20 Km trip. It is sucking the gas during this period.

Once the car is fully warm it instantaneous gauge shows around 5.5 L/100 km when the engine is running and charging in battery as well.

Was disappointed with the dealership. Just a lot of hand-waving and BS. They had no idea what was expected.

I don't expect perfection as I'm not driving in "ideal" conditions but thought that it would be within 10%. There is a large difference between 4.2 and 5.5 L/100km.

Here are my averages over the time that I have owned the car.

I don't brake hard and do use the regen. Stock tires at 36 psi. as recommended.

So buyer-beware. If you are looking for a car with great gas mileage you may be disappointed, like I am.

I have a few other issues with the car, but that is for another post at another time.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
Well, there are another five cents about MPG issue. Dealer found bad purge valve and I replaced it by myself. Now I have better MPG in about 5-8% and feel much better now. In numbers today in city driving I reached average 47 mpg (US) for a first time.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq hybrid
8 Posts
Dealer found problem through computer's diagnostics. Purge valve is part of EVAP system.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts