Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
@ bluecar1. The Brake was pressed down firm as always but was still happening. Tech support informed mechanics to charge the 12 volt battery and let it sit overnight. I have the car in my possession again and It has been fine for the last 5 days. . I’m getting 54mpg which I attribute the rise in temperature to the 60s. Or perhaps the mechanics tweaked something while they had my car. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Ioniq Saturday. I've driven 150 miles, and my average mileage is 38.5. I don't know how to activate sport mode. Why is the mileage so low?

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Ioniq Saturday. I've driven 150 miles, and my average mileage is 38.5. I don't know how to activate sport mode. Why is the mileage so low?
Can you add your rough location and whether it's a HEV or PHEV please ? . Is that 38..5 UK ( which would be bad ) or 38.5 US ( still not good ) .
Driving style could be an influence , you need to accelerate and brake gently . Using Sport mode wouldn't improve the mpg , though to activate Sport you move the gear change lever to the right when in Drive ( UK ) . left in US

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
its us mode
I guessed so . It is a little on the low side . I found that my hybrid's mileage was slightly lower when I first bought it but it does improve with time as you get used to the car and the car gets used to your driving style . When I picked up mine from the dealers it was showing as 36 mpg ( but it was a demonstration car and had about 300 miles of short test drives on it .)
I think your best policy would be to fill the tank , zero the mpg trip meter and see what you get on your next fill up . If it's still low maybe refer it to the dealer ?

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Press and hold the OK button on the steering wheel when mpg is displayed

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the post. I am not getting the 59MPG as advertised with my 2019 Ioniq Blue. Bought it for the commute and I watch how many miles I get total versus the gas that I fill it back up with to get a truer figure. It is disappointing to see only 54 or 55 mpg and it is just a few months old. Yes I make sure the tires are where they are supposed to be and I make sure I drive "economically" That meter registers typically 98% economic and 2% average and I adopt a slow takeoff and slow down and drive the speed limit. Still I want my 59 MPG. It is why I bought the car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
New to the post. I am not getting the 59MPG as advertised with my 2019 Ioniq Blue. Bought it for the commute and I watch how many miles I get total versus the gas that I fill it back up with to get a truer figure. It is disappointing to see only 54 or 55 mpg and it is just a few months old. Yes I make sure the tires are where they are supposed to be and I make sure I drive "economically" That meter registers typically 98% economic and 2% average and I adopt a slow takeoff and slow down and drive the speed limit. Still I want my 59 MPG. It is why I bought the car.
How fast is the speed limit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drive each day maybe a total of 60 miles. A majority is city between 35 and 45 mph and then a stretch of 65mph where I put it in cruise. Not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination. Remember I bought the car for its MPG and so I drive it to make the most of it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you carrying an excessive amount of stuff? Do you sit and listen to the radio for extended periods of time?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Temperature? Climate control? Inclement weather? Seasonal changes alone can drop mpg 20%. If you want to match EPA ratings, you will have to drive the EPA testing cycle and conditions. EPA ratings are not a manufacturer guarantee and are approximate at best. Sometimes they are just wrong anyway (see recent Ford scandal). The Fuelly average mpg is around 52 mpg by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our temps in Florida are like in the mid 90's lately. I use the A/C and just drive myself like a little ol granny trying to get the best mileage. IE I watch that hybrid icon and try to get it full so to speak. I use the car just for commuting and never to hang out with or sit and listen to the radio. I was checking out the forums to see if others were getting less than the advertised mpg on the sticker. With me just using the car in an average and even close to a hyper-miler fashion I was expecting to hit it or even beat it but was surprised. I watch the milage and check how many gallons go in versus driven to get the best estimate.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Our temps in Florida are like in the mid 90's lately. I use the A/C and just drive myself like a little ol granny trying to get the best mileage. IE I watch that hybrid icon and try to get it full so to speak. I use the car just for commuting and never to hang out with or sit and listen to the radio. I was checking out the forums to see if others were getting less than the advertised mpg on the sticker. With me just using the car in an average and even close to a hyper-miler fashion I was expecting to hit it or even beat it but was surprised. I watch the milage and check how many gallons go in versus driven to get the best estimate.
You're using a lot of energy in the AC to knock down that heat. Tinting your windows will help a lot.

Drive at 3 green bars or less and 3 blue bars or less on the power gauge and you should improve your economy.

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
driving style can make a great overall speed as well

gentle acceleration, as @JBSwiftus said max 3-4 green bars under acceleration is good, gentle braking generates energy back into the battery using regen braking, heavy braking uses the mechanical brakes and don't recover as much energy

to be honest I have not noticed to much decrease in economy using the AC

the other one is speed,

keeping a constant speed is good for economy, constantly speeding up / slowing is bad for economy

keeping speed below 60 mph / 100kmh is great, 60-75mph / 100-125kmh is not so great and over 75mph / 125kmh is bad for economy,

·
Registered
529 Posts
to be honest I have not noticed to much decrease in economy using the AC
The EV owners have the best ability to report on this since the cars display can show the power draw from climate systems. I think it maxes out around 1.2kW. If that were to be drawn over the time it takes a city person to commute 7-8 miles in an hour then there could be considerable losses in mpg when the car is generally less than 160Wh/mile in ideal conditions.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I think the actual hp required for the Ioniq to go 60 mph is around 10 hp. That makes 1.6 hp added power needed pretty significant. For low intermittent use by UK drivers, it might not be noticeable over a full tank. But Florida drivers?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts