·
Registered
8 Posts
Bye Bye Ioniq

Profile Updated.
Charles Town, WV
2019 Limited Hybrid
Most driving done in Northern Virginia

I'm actually thinking about returning the vehicle at this point. Purchased on Dec 14, 2018. TWICE since then it would not move when placed in gear. January 22, 2019 it was towed to the dealership and they detected a hybrid battery issue. First they were thinking about replacing a "part", but then decided to recharge the battery and give it back to me. They didn't sound confident with their diagnosis. I'm not comfortable with this vehicle and haven't taken the vehicle back from them. I'm the previous owner of a Toyota Prius and the Ioniq is NOT the "Prius Killer" that it claims to be on You Tube @ 43mpg. I can see why they offer a lifetime warranty on the hybrid battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On a serious note.... even when I am in a hectic month, where I don't care about eco driving and floor it just about everywhere I go I still get 53 to 55mpg ( UK gallons). My average is 60 to 70 mpg depending on whether I feel chilled enough to drive sensibly!! Even if you drive up a lot of hills you must have to come back down them and therefore get back your lost mileage on the downward journey. I occasionally take my daughter to work on a 36 mile trip (18 out and 18 back) I always lose a couple of mpg on the outward journey but gain it (plus a bit more) on the return journey. If your mpg is constantly low then maybe a trip back to you dealer is the best option. Something doesn't add up there!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Either you are driving it the same as you would with ICE vehicle or you are going up and down mountains etc.. With a hybrid, and especially an EV, you have to think differently, take it easy and slow down slowly.

If I went less than 60 mpg (UK = 72 US) I would be concerned about the car. I normally get 70-80 mpg (84-96 US) and if stay on EV rather than hybrid my best so far is 126 (151 US).

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Ionic limited loaded but not seeing 50mpg as stated in you tube ads and sticker. My ave is 43mpg
Welcome Music Man,

To help you better, can you please provide some additional information? Where are you from? Filling in your location in the User CP can really help with this. There are variations in the Ioniq from country to country, so it helps if we know where you're located. Also, what variant of the Ioniq (Hybrid, Plug-in, EV) do you have? Having this information in your signature can really help all of us to help you.

In the meantime, am I safe in assuming that you are in the United States and have the Hybrid variant?

There are any number of possible reasons for poor mileage.

• If you are in the northern states, where the temperature is low right now, 40-45 mpg is perfectly normal for winter conditions. Come summer time, you can fully expect to see EPA-rated MPG or higher
  • Other factors can include other weather conditions (such as rain), terrain, cargo weight, using Sport Mode a lot, driving style, etc.
Please provide more information about these factors, so that we can better help you to determine if you actually have a problem with the car, or if it's just conditions.
Hey buddy. I live in Niagara Falls, and recently my fuel efficiency dropped down to 8 l/100km. I believe it's much colder now in Ottawa, so how is yours doing so far? I bought my ioniq end of December, having now 4k km on it. Last week when first time it dropped down to -20 at night I wasn't able to start car in the morning. Red once something about " check hybrid system". It spend night at local dealership. They charged the 12v battery and it starts now every freezing morning this week so far. But after the car went to dealership my mpg drops to 7-8l/100km (aprx. 30 mpg us). I blaming weather for now, and that my commute is 15 min mostly on highway.

·
Registered
529 Posts
...TWICE since then it would not move when placed in gear.
Dumb question. Are you sure the car was on and ready to drive? On multiple occasions I have turned the car 'on' but only to accesory mode. You can shift into 'drive' and turn the wheel and everything. I've even coasted backwards down my driving like this. But there is no power steering or power brakes.

It usually happens because I wasn't pressing the brake hard enough when I pressed the start/stop button.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Dumb question. Are you sure the car was on and ready to drive? On multiple occasions I have turned the car 'on' but only to accesory mode. You can shift into 'drive' and turn the wheel and everything. I've even coasted backwards down my driving like this. But there is no power steering or power brakes.

It usually happens because I wasn't pressing the brake hard enough when I pressed the start/stop button.
Happened to me a few times , always a possibility :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
We purchased our Ioniq hybrid in August of last year. We were excited about the prospects of 55 MPG highway and city as purported. Since then, despite driving it like an old lady we are averaging less than 33 MPG. I have taken it in to the dealership and they said they checked it out and found nothing. But there are things that are happening besides the mileage that make me think there's definitely something wrong, but they are subtle and sporadic.

The other day while sitting at a traffic light the gas engine fired up when the charge indicator showed a full charge. I wasn't using anything that would suck juice other than the display screen which is always on. No heat, no audio, no lights, nothing. That's the kind of thing that would put a dent in your mileage. Then, both my wife and I have noticed a slight jerking feel from the transmission when it's not changing gears, just humming along at the same speed. We never noticed that in the first couple of months of driving it. But of course, good luck getting this to happen for the service guys.

And by the way, our driving characteristics are consistently 90-93% economical and 7-10% normal so our driving is not what's causing the poor mileage.

Any thoughts?
My Ioniq had the BMS update done in October of 2018 and immediately had a loss in MPGs. Been to the dealer twice for inspection and testing and could find nothing wrong. Consumer Affairs so far have been less than helpful.

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,860 Posts
Hey buddy. I live in Niagara Falls, and recently my fuel efficiency dropped down to 8 l/100km. I believe it's much colder now in Ottawa, so how is yours doing so far? I bought my ioniq end of December, having now 4k km on it. Last week when first time it dropped down to -20 at night I wasn't able to start car in the morning. Red once something about " check hybrid system". It spend night at local dealership. They charged the 12v battery and it starts now every freezing morning this week so far. But after the car went to dealership my mpg drops to 7-8l/100km (aprx. 30 mpg us). I blaming weather for now, and that my commute is 15 min mostly on highway.
Your commute and weather combined could be a contributing factor. But 8 does sound like very poor performance.

My last 2 fillups were both at 6.5 and my current tank is hovering around 6.4 (due to fillup later today). I last filled her on 11 January. Early in the tank she was up around 7.5, but with extenuating circumstances: it was around the time of my fender bender, and she was in the shop right around that time. I think I've only got it back down because this week I've been doing a lot of extra driving with lots of trips of over 20 minutes at speeds around 80 km/h with few stop lights, versus my standard commute of 10 minutes at speeds between 50 and 80 with lots of stop lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
shush, That's not what I wanted to hear... Seems like my concern about mileage isn't pointless. Will try to bring it to the dealer again tomorrow and see what's going on. The main thing i catch is that it shows stupid amounts of fuel on instant display. Like if previously it was usually under 10l/100km, now it's jumping to 25-30 easy. and it happened right after the car went to the dealer.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
As another owner with a Limited, the bigger tires could partially be the culprit. I traded in a Gen 4 Prius, and know how to drive a hybrid. This car, or at least this specific variant of the Ioniq, isn't a Prius killer. I'm coming up a good 10-20 MPG lower than I would have expected for the same driving in my Prius. This could wind up being one of those cars I keep for 6 months then trade it away. It's just too bad the Prius looks like it fell out of the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have driven hybrid's for over 10 years now. I started with a Prius, then C-Max now Ioniq.

If you only drive short distances you will never get the mileage ratings the car is listed with. Short trips are a mpg buster.
If you like to drive heavy footed and slow down quickly the same.
Temperature plays a huge factor. My worst tank ever was recently. It was 37mpg. All highway miles. Ambient temp -7F to 4F.
Tire pressure is a factor but only 2-3mpg 32psi vs 44psi.
Sports mode vs eco driving is a factor.
Oil level is a huge factor. If overfilled mileage drops.

My guess is your mileage issue is some combination of the above and not just one. The mileage you are achieving is very poor.

In temperatures of 50-90F and driving highway speeds with all highway travel (a fully loaded car 200-300lb of gear) I average 47-52mpg US.

It could be the car. If you have changed your driving style with no effect.... test drive another Ioniq to see if that is any better.

Best of luck. By far this is the most fuel efficient car I have driven. I don't have to work to get good mileage like I did in my Prius or C-Max.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
As another owner with a Limited, the bigger tires could partially be the culprit. I traded in a Gen 4 Prius, and know how to drive a hybrid. This car, or at least this specific variant of the Ioniq, isn't a Prius killer. I'm coming up a good 10-20 MPG lower than I would have expected for the same driving in my Prius. This could wind up being one of those cars I keep for 6 months then trade it away. It's just too bad the Prius looks like it fell out of the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
the eCVT of the prius does better round town, but the DCT of the Ioniq does better at highway speeds

gentle driving and trying to minimise changes to speed are the keys to good economy in the ioniq

driving it does take a bit of getting used to, there are a number of drivers members who have swapped prius to ioniq like yourself, they may be able to provide more info on any driving differences

also how many miles you done in the ioniq? as it does take a while to settle, the 1st 1000 miles the ECU and Gearbox controllers are in learning mode so mpg improves over time

·
Read Only
32 Posts
I am still at less than 1000 miles on the car. Is there a way to reset the transmission controller? Darned car likes to stick in 3rd gear way too long. Not that I've tried it (yet) but is there any problem with shifting the car to neutral to disable regenerative braking? That used to gain me a lot on the Prius. And short trips were perfect for my Prius.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
it will stick in a gear longer if it thinks power required is more than can be provided by the next gear, this could also explain the lower economy than you expect

the eCVT will try and keep constant engine speed and vary the ratio this is different to the DCT of the Ioniq which will try and select the best gear for economy based on engine speed and gas peddle position

as to economy we have seen many things affect the MPG of the Ioniq

positives are
  • steady speed
  • warm ambient temps
  • gentle braking / acceleration
  • correct tyre pressures

negatives are
  • constant acceleration / braking
  • ambient temp below 10 deg C
  • harsh acceleration / braking
  • speeds over 65 mph / 105kmh
  • low tyre pressures
  • excess weight carried
  • roof racks / bike rack (additional drag)

you likely know these from your time driving the prius but the Ioniq is very sensitive to tyre pressures and ambient temps

·
Read Only
32 Posts
May add a few pounds to all tires to see if it helps mileage any. I do my best to anticipate lights so I can keep on rolling through the whole trip. Oil level is rather high in the car, it's actually above the orange plastic level thing on the dipstick. Car likes to get coolant pretty hot if heat is on before ICE turns off. I'll get the car just warm enough, then turn seat heat on and HVAC off. A lot of times that will immediately shut ICE off. I'll know more in a week or so when I get my Scangauge back from getting firmware updated. I got 4 different scanners from Linear Logic which recorded various operating parameters of the car, so hopefully there will be some new X Gauges coming one of these days.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Is there a way to reset the transmission controller? Darned car likes to stick in 3rd gear way too long.
Hello neighbor! Just up the road from you.

You have a couple of options. Not sure which gear I'm in at around 30/35 mph, but it is lower than I would be in a manual, especially in the cold weather we've been having the last couple of weeks. At about 38/39 mph, the car shifts and sounds comfortable. So in the interests of better mileage and lower noise, when I'm in a 35 mile an hour zone or higher, I accelerate to 40 mph as quickly as possible (well, moderately quickly) and let cruise control take over. If you are commonly on the same stretch of road stuck in a low gear, you might actually do better for that stretch by shifting into sport and upshifting. Get out of sport when that situation has passed or you will do worse for efficiency.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts