Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our Ioniq hybrid in August of last year. We were excited about the prospects of 55 MPG highway and city as purported. Since then, despite driving it like an old lady we are averaging less than 33 MPG. I have taken it in to the dealership and they said they checked it out and found nothing. But there are things that are happening besides the mileage that make me think there's definitely something wrong, but they are subtle and sporadic.

The other day while sitting at a traffic light the gas engine fired up when the charge indicator showed a full charge. I wasn't using anything that would suck juice other than the display screen which is always on. No heat, no audio, no lights, nothing. That's the kind of thing that would put a dent in your mileage. Then, both my wife and I have noticed a slight jerking feel from the transmission when it's not changing gears, just humming along at the same speed. We never noticed that in the first couple of months of driving it. But of course, good luck getting this to happen for the service guys.

And by the way, our driving characteristics are consistently 90-93% economical and 7-10% normal so our driving is not what's causing the poor mileage.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Where do you live and what are the outside temps.?

Winter, cold, winter tires, heating cabin, heating engine, high speeds, short trips and more increase consumtion....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
On top of what @Xkraft said, terrain is another big factor though I'm not sure you could get 90+% economical driving with a lot of huge hills.

It does sound like an issue with the car. The absolute lowest mileage I've gotten in a fillup is 40 and that was for a period where the temperature was 15-20F below zero for my commutes. In the summer I was averaging 55 and this winter I've been averaging closer to 45. That is with winter tires, the heat set to 73 and the seat heaters on most of the time. This is with efficiency scores right around 85% Economical and 15% normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could buy that, Xkraft, but it hasn't just been this winter. We have wonderful weather in the fall. No need for heat or air, and we had the same mileage. And as far as terrain goes we live in an ideal place. It's a small town so no real traffic jams and though we have mountains all around us the valley itself is pretty flat and we don't leave it except to go on a trip. We've only left the valley one time since we got the car and that was right after we got it and it got 44 MPG on that trip up and down hills for about 140 miles. I'd be elated to get 44 MPG at this point. Oh, and BTW, our weather is pretty mild here, too most of the year. Some years it hardly gets below freezing at night, and other years (like this one) we have snow a couple of times (like this morning) that's melted by noon. Our lowest low of the year is typically 20-25 F.

I just filled up the car about 3 days ago, and so far I'm getting just about 30 MPG. I'm pretty sure that something is not right with the it. Other than the crappy mileage, though I love the car.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you measured the actual mileage when you fill up at the pump, or are you just going by what the trip computer says? Just wondering if it could be a fault there. Fuelly.com can help track actual economy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stupid (?) question. You _are_ aware the car has a handbrake? And that it is located under your foot? No, I am not trying to be funny, I am trying for an explanation.

Your mileage would be unacceptable to me. The dealer should accept _your_ numbers, and testdrive the car for a day to see what happens.
The "jerk" might be the electric motor kicking in, and it is quite normal you notice the petrol engine is being shut off .

·
Super Moderator
7,880 Posts
several things spring to mind

the biggest killers, of mpg are speed and temperature

you say rarely goes below 0deg C so temp is out, you are getting high scores for economical so that lets speed out as well, I am confused about the "full battery" indicator / state of charge

are you using sport mode a lot? as normally the state of charge rarely goes into the top third unless long down hills or sport mode for extended time

if the brakes were dragging / binding then you wouldn't get a good score for economy as you would have to use more power to override the brakes binding

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Stupid (?) question. You _are_ aware the car has a handbrake? And that it is located under your foot? No, I am not trying to be funny, I am trying for an explanation.

Your mileage would be unacceptable to me. The dealer should accept _your_ numbers, and testdrive the car for a day to see what happens.
The "jerk" might be the electric motor kicking in, and it is quite normal you notice the petrol engine is being shut off .
I used to take off without releasing the parking brake all the time when I wasn't used to it being a foot pedal. The car is quick to warn you about it when that happens.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I used to take off without releasing the parking brake all the time when I wasn't used to it being a foot pedal. The car is quick to warn you about it when that happens.
"The Bells. The Bells..!"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My car is displaying nearly identical behavior in identical conditions. Going to the dealer in a couple of days but am anticipating them not knowing what is going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

I once drove about a mile with the foot brake half on once.. the light was on the dash.. didn't notice it.. i did notice the drag.. didn't act on it. Oh poor Blue..

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Any thoughts?

Yes my first thought is how heavy is the car.. is it loaded up with items, people etc.

Any further thoughts leave me to believe there is a problem with the car.. because even I manage 55+ UK mpg and I drive it like its a 350bhp sports car..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
2019 Ionic limited loaded but not seeing 50mpg as stated in you tube ads and sticker. My ave is 43mpg
Welcome Music Man,

To help you better, can you please provide some additional information? Where are you from? Filling in your location in the User CP can really help with this. There are variations in the Ioniq from country to country, so it helps if we know where you're located. Also, what variant of the Ioniq (Hybrid, Plug-in, EV) do you have? Having this information in your signature can really help all of us to help you.

In the meantime, am I safe in assuming that you are in the United States and have the Hybrid variant?

There are any number of possible reasons for poor mileage.

• If you are in the northern states, where the temperature is low right now, 40-45 mpg is perfectly normal for winter conditions. Come summer time, you can fully expect to see EPA-rated MPG or higher
  • Other factors can include other weather conditions (such as rain), terrain, cargo weight, using Sport Mode a lot, driving style, etc.
Please provide more information about these factors, so that we can better help you to determine if you actually have a problem with the car, or if it's just conditions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
mine were 33psi the other day, raised them to 36 and got an extra 5mpg out the car

this car seems to be very sensitive to tyre pressures affecting mpg, I could just be we watch things more closely
I believe all cars are sensitive to tire pressure. I could see a nice difference in my Superb, if I kept pressure higher (for full loaded).

Anyway - just to add to confusions for some. On Wednesday, I was able to get 120mpg to work, and 88mpg from work (31 miles distance). This was with heating on, so when I returned from work, I still had like 30% of battery left.

But on the contrary, yesterday I got 20mpg (2 mile trip to take little one to school) with heating on, and today 37mpg on similar trip.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about mpg in winter times. It is virtually to get any weather pattern, cold/rain/lights, etc. These cars if driven the right way, can get fantastic mpg. But this is valid with every car. Sometimes people have expectations, which are simply... unreasonable. My friend drives BMW 740e and complains he cannot get any better than 38mpg, but his X5 diesel is getting him much better mileage. Still, he won't think his 740e is very heavy, has 320PS+, and he never charges battery as he has no place to install the charger... My Superb was averaging 38mpg and I was very happy about it but some people just have these expectations.

At the moment, I am getting avg. 62mpg from 600 miles distance but the car is still pretty new, I still learn how to drive it, etc. By no means I take no part in this competition who gets better mpg from their Ioniq. But I do keep checking on mpg because I want to compare the car to my previous cars, I want to see how it behaves when I push it and when I treat it very gently.

But if anyone asks me about my cars fuel consumption, I always answer - it consumes whatever I pour into the tank :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Computer tells me Ave is 43 mpg
Every four tanks I check by taking total miles and dividing it by fuel used. So far ?
44.6 mpg Dec 26,2018
30.9 mpg. Jan 9, 2019

Let me know what you average with the 2019 limited hybrid

·
Registered
701 Posts
Computer tells me Ave is 43 mpg
Every four tanks I check by taking total miles and dividing it by fuel used. So far ?
44.6 mpg Dec 26,2018
30.9 mpg. Jan 9, 2019

Let me know what you average with the 2019 limited hybrid

Hi music man. Unfortunately your post is meaningless without knowing your location. Are you talking Imperial or US mpg? To remove the confusion please add your location to your user profile under Tools - CP (user profile). This being a global forum means there are many variations of model, equipment and units of measure across all the countries represented here.;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts