Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
755 Posts
Here are some photos of the trickle charger. It looks OK to me (as far as you can tell by looking, which is probably not a lot).
This doesn't look Ok to me. The blue piece of plastic prevents it from being fully inserted and could prevent the locking of the cable.
Try removing it.

It seems to have been pushed out of its seat. Normally there for water/dust-sealing the connection.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here are some photos of the trickle charger. It looks OK to me (as far as you can tell by looking, which is probably not a lot).
Well you have a configeration that is totally different from the UK/European spec, and as far as I am aware most of the rest of the world. The charging point at the rear looks like a Type 2 which, on UK/European models, will use AC power at up to 7Kw which is converted to DC by the onboard ac to DC converter to charge the main traction battery. In addition on Uk/European and most other areas above the Type 2 recepticle is a DC "Fast" charge recepticle. In addition most cars are also supplied with a charger that can be plugged into an AC mains socket and has an inline box which allows the charge amperage, up to 12amp, to be set plus providing various safety features. This plugs into the Type 2 socket. There are no charge recepticles at the front of the car.

Can you provide a picture of your complete "trickle" charger so I can see what it looks like.

I still stand by what I said earlier, if the Type 2 charger at the back is working then this suggests there is nothing wrong with the car or the onboard AC to DC converter and therefore the fault is likely to be in the "trickle" setup/

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This doesn't look Ok to me. The blue piece of plastic prevents it from being fully inserted and could prevent the locking of the cable.
Try removing it.

It seems to have been pushed out of its seat. Normally there for water/dust-sealing the connection.
Thanks a lot Patrick.

I have tried prodding it further back in with the end of a pencil incase it was coming out too much.

Before I remove it, do you know what the blue plastic is for? What is its function? Presumably it's there for some reason?

Do others concur with removing the plastic?

Hope you don't mind me checking with others Patrick. Just want to make sure that I'm not about to make things worse and rip out a functional part of the charger only to find later the word "removing" was some kind of auto spell check on your phone!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
755 Posts
Thanks a lot Patrick.

I have tried prodding it further back in with the end of a pencil incase it was coming out too much.

Before I remove it, do you know what the blue plastic is for? What is its function? Presumably it's there for some reason?
It doesn't belong in the back. There is a place in the side wall where it should be. It's just there for sealing the connection for water and dust. Maybe you can click open the housing and get it back in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to be sure by trunk (boot) you mean at the rear/back of the vehicle. right? I found a cable on the left hand side but that only opened the port/socket at the rear of the vehicle, which is for the fast charger, where there is no problem.

The trickle charger is at the front of the vehicle. I assume that cable at the other end of the vehicle wouldn't help with that? I wouldn't be able to pull that cable and try to start trickle charging simultaneously anyway, they are too far apart - unless you mean get someone else to help?

According to the manual the release cable for the trickle charger at the front of the vehicle (the one that I have a problem with) is under the hood by the 12V battery. However I can't find any cable there. There is a picture in the manual that points an arrow to where the release cable is, but I don't see anything.
Oh, you have a completely different model than in Europe. We have the chargeport in back of the car. Sorry I cannot help you as the emergency release is not located in the bottom of back trunk.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Try removing it.

I agree with Patrick, that blue seal should be in the grove around the bottom of the plug, not smashed against the bottom. It's now preventing the plug from engaging all the way which in turn means that the latch wont lock, so charging wont start. Either remove it completely or better yet, see if you can get it back in place. As mentioned elsewhere, if you can partially crack open the handle to gain some room that would help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What a bizarre setup. I think that Chile is a "Japan" country and has chademo as prevalent choice. This situation was in Estonia also when the state standardised in big project to numerous chademo chargers throughout the country. Japan doesn't use CCS, but chademo and this car has the same things that Japan does. I'm not sure if the type 1 even uses a locking motor since it has the locking claw, maybe that is the reason there is no release cable. You really should try out a different charging cable.

Chademo and type 1 cable are from the beginnings of EV:s, type 2 and CCS are of the second, IMO better, generation of charging solutions.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Patrick, thanks a lot. It worked! We were able to get that blue plastic/rubber part back into the groove/indented area in the side wall - used a small metal tool. The first time I tried it still didn't work so I spent a few minutes more pressing it back into that side groove until it wasn`t sticking out of there even the tiniest bit and then it finally clicked and charged.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Let's hope this is a lasting solution.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I don't think Chile is dominated by chademo, I think there is a mix. When I went to the fast public charging station at the petrol station there are actually three different connectors and I just looked for the one that fit my slot which was labelled 50kW DC. At least one of the other options says 50kW AC.

I think the CCS option is also there possibly, although I can't remember for sure. I am not familiar with these standards/types of chargers so I don't really know what is what.

I did find this table once which shows which cars have which types and is specific to Chile. Source: http://www.electromov.cl/ October 2019

This is a comprehensive list that covers most or all the cars in Chile. We do have 1 or 2 Teslas, but imported only, and there is no Tesla-specific charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It could be that Chile is also transitioning to CCS along with the rest of the world. Chademo is the first real fast charging standard so it will surely be available around the world for a long time even in europe. Great to hear you had success in charging your car!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts