Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Ioniq EV won't trickle charge. There is no click, so it won't start charging.

A red symbol lights up inside the car, so the car has detected something, but it won't charge. Sometimes when I try it the three flashing lights come on which means a fault, but sometimes nothing. Sometimes I think I hear some tiny noise from the car, sometimes nothing.

I can't see any dirt or anything visible that could look out of place. Everything looks visibly normal.

The weather here is always mild, it can't be an ice or snow or extreme cold or extreme heat related issue.

I've tried things like pressing the auto/lock button, locking and unlocking the car.

It went from always working to suddenly never working. I have tried it about 50 times over a number of days.

The fast charger still works. But I really need trickle charging.

We are in a quarantine situation here so I can't go to Hyundai, and I doubt calling them will work. I will give it a try probably on the week days, but I doubt they will even answer the phone or be at work. They are not likely working either due to quarantine. So for the time being I am specifically look for solutions at this stage that don't require me leaving my house and garden at all. I can't go to Hyundai, dealers, mechanics for now.

Has anyone had this issue, or does anyone have any guesses how to solve it please?

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
756 Posts
Difficult to say what is causing this. Could be the onboard charging module, the connector locking mechanism, your charging cable/charger, the local power connections or the grid.

Did you try different outlets? Maybe a bad connection.
Is the grid voltage at a normal level? Does it drop when charging?
Did you try a level-2 charger? Could be a defect in the granny charger cable.
Did you try to use a lower power setting to not overload the local power connection?

·
Registered
260 Posts
One local guy had a similar problem, never work with public charger, even the trickle charger won't always work unless he tried it multiple times. The hyundai dealer replaced the on onboard charging module and solved the issue.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The fast charger still works. But I really need trickle charging.
By "fast charger" do you mean you can charge from a Type 2 charger either at home or a public one? If this is correct then I would suggest there is nothing wrong with the car. This leaves the fault as either being due to a bad electrical supply, {have you tried another outlet preferably at somewhere other than your domestic supply?} OR the trickle {Granny} charger has a problem, though I believe it shows fault lights if this is the case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
By "fast charger" do you mean you can charge from a Type 2 charger either at home or a public one? If this is correct then I would suggest there is nothing wrong with the car. This leaves the fault as either being due to a bad electrical supply, {have you tried another outlet preferably at somewhere other than your domestic supply?} OR the trickle {Granny} charger has a problem, though I believe it shows fault lights if this is the case.
I'm pretty sure he means AC doesn't work and DC works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a common problem that the motor powering the locking of charging cable is failing. As a temporary fix you can try to simultaneously pull the emergency release (hidden in in the bottom of the trunk) and connecting the cable. This will probably solve the issue especially if you can hear a quite silent clicking sound several times after connecting the charge cable. It may take a few attempt but at some point the locking mechanism might start to work.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Difficult to say what is causing this. Could be the onboard charging module, the connector locking mechanism, your charging cable/charger, the local power connections or the grid.

Did you try different outlets? Maybe a bad connection.
Is the grid voltage at a normal level? Does it drop when charging?
Did you try a level-2 charger? Could be a defect in the granny charger cable.
Did you try to use a lower power setting to not overload the local power connection?
Thanks for helping out.
I have tried multiple sockets (all in my house) with no luck.
The grid voltage is at a normal level, that has been measured. I haven't checked for any voltage variation when charging (before, when it worked) but no reason to think there would be. Now when I plug it in and it does nothing there is no voltage variation. Grid voltage does not vary when other things at a similar power level are used.
If by level-2 charger you mean 240V rather than 120V that is more for the US I think? We are at 230V in Chile for normal electricity so not sure if that is relevant. If by level-2 charger, you mean something like a quicker charger (like 7kW) no I have not tried that, and won't be able to do so until the end of this quarantine period, and that could be months.
Yes, I did try all the three different power settings (H,M,L). Note that in previous cases when it was working I tried to charge it on the H setting and it only charged at a rate just over 1kW when it ought to be 2kW-3kW.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When I referred to "fast charger" I mean a 50kW DC charger at the petrol station/ gas station. Does the fact that this worked normally enable us to rule out the onboard charging module as the problem, or not?

I have not tried trickle charging at another outlet in a location that isn't our house. That would probably not be allowed to go to another house under the current quarantine rules for now, but it might be worth doing at some point if I don't get this fixed soon.

Since the car is sat on the drive at 85% charge and we are under quarantine so will hardly be using it there is no huge hurry, but obviously the sooner the better it gets fixed.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a common problem that the motor powering the locking of charging cable is failing. As a temporary fix you can try to simultaneously pull the emergency release (hidden in in the bottom of the trunk) and connecting the cable. This will probably solve the issue especially if you can hear a quite silent clicking sound several times after connecting the charge cable. It may take a few attempt but at some point the locking mechanism might start to work.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's going dark now so I think I'll prefer to try it tomorrow and report back then.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Longer ago there was a callback for this type of issue. Ask the dealer whether this callback has actually been done for this car.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
756 Posts
If by level-2 charger, you mean something like a quicker charger (like 7kW) no I have not tried that, and won't be able to do so until the end of this quarantine period, and that could be months.
Yes, I did try all the three different power settings (H,M,L). Note that in previous cases when it was working I tried to charge it on the H setting and it only charged at a rate just over 1kW when it ought to be 2kW-3kW.
By level-2 I meant a dedicated EV charger at home or publicly on the street. This will rule out a problem with the granny charger cable (ICCB). It also makes use of the onboard charging module and connector locking mechanism.

The power levels on the granny charger cable (ICCB) only influence the current drawn, not the voltage. I think at 120V max power is about 1.2kW (~24h charging), at 230V about 2.2kW (~12h charging).

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just to be sure by trunk (boot) you mean at the rear/back of the vehicle. right? I found a cable on the left hand side but that only opened the port/socket at the rear of the vehicle, which is for the fast charger, where there is no problem.

The trickle charger is at the front of the vehicle. I assume that cable at the other end of the vehicle wouldn't help with that? I wouldn't be able to pull that cable and try to start trickle charging simultaneously anyway, they are too far apart - unless you mean get someone else to help?

According to the manual the release cable for the trickle charger at the front of the vehicle (the one that I have a problem with) is under the hood by the 12V battery. However I can't find any cable there. There is a picture in the manual that points an arrow to where the release cable is, but I don't see anything.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just to be sure by trunk (boot) you mean at the rear/back of the vehicle. right? I found a cable on the left hand side but that only opened the port/socket at the rear of the vehicle, which is for the fast charger, where there is no problem.

The trickle charger is at the front of the vehicle. I assume that cable at the other end of the vehicle wouldn't help with that? I wouldn't be able to pull that cable and try to start trickle charging simultaneously anyway, they are too far apart - unless you mean get someone else to help?

According to the manual the release cable for the trickle charger at the front of the vehicle (the one that I have a problem with) is under the hood by the 12V battery. However I can't find any cable there. There is a picture in the manual that points an arrow to where the release cable is, but I don't see anything.
What you say makes no sense at all. All the chargers {cables} for charging the main traction battery plug into the recepticles behind the flap to the rear of the left side rear passenger door. This includes the supplied "granny" trickle charger that has a plug on it to plug into an AC mains socket.
Please post some photos of the charger in question and where you are trying to connnect it.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Are by any chance mixing up a plug in hybrid and a EV? Plug in hybrid has a charging port by the front left tyre and petrol cap by the rear left tyre, but EV has only one charging port by the rear left tyre.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car is a pure EV not a PHEV or HEV, that is to say that you cannot put petrol in the car.

There is a port at the back of the car which is for fast charging (which I have tried fast charging with and it works) and a port of the front of the car in a totally separate location which is for slow/granny/trickle charging in a regular socket. In the past I have charged successfully charged from this front port with the trickle charger provided when I bought the car (shown in below video), but currently this is not working, hence this thread.

It looks like the layout of the car is different in other places including Europe.

Here is a video of the car and its two ports and the charger and the socket

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some photos of the charging point at the front of the car for the trickle charger. The bright flash of the camera makes it look dirty, but is actually just showing all sorts of details that are not even visible to the naked eye. To the naked eye, it looks clean and these marks can't be seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to the manual there is an emergency cable to release the charging connector for the front, trickle charging port and it is under the hood at the front. However, where the arrow points to in the manual I can't find the cable.

To see where the arrow points to in the manual look on page 47 (H40) after downloading this PDF:
Download 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric - Owner's Manual PDF (582 Pages)

The photos here are the area shown in the manual where supposedly there is a cable.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts