Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've bought a 2019 Ioniq Premium EV just a month ago, it's replacing an Ampera I've had for last 5 years. Finally found an EV I like, and can afford, that's a hatchback to do regular 160 mile trips non-stop in all weather plus a small safety margin! Super car, but 1 or 2 slight niggles that I'll have to live with!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
113 Posts
Hello everyone, I've bought a 2019 Ioniq Premium EV just a month ago, it's replacing an Ampera I've had for last 5 years. Finally found an EV I like, and can afford, that's a hatchback to do regular 160 mile trips non-stop in all weather plus a small safety margin! Super car, but 1 or 2 slight niggles that I'll have to live with!
Welcome! What are the niggles ?? Maybe they can be sorted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like Auto Hold to be on by default; I find this v useful, as I park on a slope, and driving around here isn't as flat as say parts of Lincolnshire! I really wish that a few more things like this were setup options, absolutely no reason why this couldn't be a menu option.

Bongs from LKAS (or whatever it is precisely) wakes my wife up as I exit slip lanes on a long trip. I don't mind the gentle tug on steering wheel, that's silent. Only solution I have is to turn this off with button to RHS of steering wheel.

Putting the car in Cruise Control mode on motorway immediately stops telling me what the remaining battery range is (or is it the distance to go), whichever. When I'm driving in manual mode, I like to see the remaining distance to go, and the range in hand, right beside each other. This is how I judge if I need to slow down to improve efficiency & increase my safety margin. Turn on CC and I immediately lose having those 2 figures one above the other. Ok I can see the missing figure on the central console, but that's another eye movement & refocus etc.

I've already had the Fob detach from the key+kreyring, twice at the dealership when buying it (Dealer said he's had that happen himself!), then again late that night after arriving at home. Fob fell on drive, fortunately I noticed, as it rained later! The design of this is stupid, should be a flip-out like VWs & others. My workaround for this is to 3D-print a clip-on plastic shield that mostly surrounds the stupidly-sticking-out-pin, anyone else wanting one can find these on eBay, look for Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss Preventer Guard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd like Auto Hold to be on by default; I find this v useful, as I park on a slope, and driving around here isn't as flat as say parts of Lincolnshire! I really wish that a few more things like this were setup options, absolutely no reason why this couldn't be a menu option.

Bongs from LKAS (or whatever it is precisely) wakes my wife up as I exit slip lanes on a long trip. I don't mind the gentle tug on steering wheel, that's silent. Only solution I have is to turn this off with button to RHS of steering wheel.

Putting the car in Cruise Control mode on motorway immediately stops telling me what the remaining battery range is (or is it the distance to go), whichever. When I'm driving in manual mode, I like to see the remaining distance to go, and the range in hand, right beside each other. This is how I judge if I need to slow down to improve efficiency & increase my safety margin. Turn on CC and I immediately lose having those 2 figures one above the other. Ok I can see the missing figure on the central console, but that's another eye movement & refocus etc.

I've already had the Fob detach from the key+kreyring, twice at the dealership when buying it (Dealer said he's had that happen himself!), then again late that night after arriving at home. Fob fell on drive, fortunately I noticed, as it rained later! The design of this is stupid, should be a flip-out like VWs & others. My workaround for this is to 3D-print a clip-on plastic shield that mostly surrounds the stupidly-sticking-out-pin, anyone else wanting one can find these on eBay, look for Hyundai Fob & Key Accidental Separation Loss Preventer Guard.

You'll soon learn to press the Auto Hold button as part of your start up process.

If you indicate LKAS is silent.

You'll soon get used to it, or learn to do without.

Why is it a stupid design? It's different, not stupid. My previous Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV was almost the same and came out unintentionally about once a year, i.e. once every 35,000 miles. I got my Ioniq new on 27th January, it now has over 25,000 miles showing and this has happened to me once, when I had things other than my key ring in my pocket (1car key, 2 house keys, 3key fob loyalty cards - nothing else)

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
810 Posts
I've already had the Fob detach from the key+kreyring, twice at the dealership when buying it (Dealer said he's had that happen himself!), then again late that night after arriving at home.
I've always found the Hyundai fobs too big for a keyring and just keep them separate. That tiny little pocket all men's jeans seem to have tucked into one of the regular pockets is a perfect fit for it. I position it with the buttons facing inwards, which keeps it from accidentally triggering anything when I'm hunched over or crouched down. Learned that last one the annoying way, with the horn setting off at a campground well after dark.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello from not too far from Winchester, UK!!! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, it could be a good-bye from me soon! Reason is I'm buying an ID.3 . Have been after full electric for a few years, only now are suitable ones appearing. I love the 38er, but have always been aware it's a bit of a stretch range-wise in winter, and I never thought the ID.3 would be in my budget range. But the offers on these are amazing, 7500 off if you get one that's built already, 6500 for orders placed this year before Dec 15. On that basis I can affort to upgrade to essentially a 60 kWh battery from 40, plus Rapid charging that's 100 kW up to 30% SOC, then decreasing to 50 kW at 80%, which on average 2x faster, or a shade more, than the 38. In effect I'm future-proofing myself for a couple of years.

ID.3 entry-level that I can afford lacks quite a lot of features that Ioniq has, rear view camera mainly, lit door handles, alloys, lots of other stuff no doubt which mostly comes into the "nice to have but not essential if I'm honest" category. It's also not a particularly pretty car, and doesn't come in my favourite colours either!

But I can't pass up the significant range improvement & charging speeds, this EV really does lower the entry-barrier for "decently long range" EVs, so Kona/Niro now have tough competition! I'd expect their values to fall as ID.3 volumes step up, and I'd expect the prices of new ones to drop as well tbh.

Anyone interested in a 2019 red Ioniq BEV 38 kWh 6000 miles appx will come with full-size spare tyre & cheapo eBay car mats, available sometime soon (when DVLA send me my v5!) plz ping me a msg!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts